shape
carat
color
clarity

psst ... New Tsavorite

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Gailey

Ideal_Rock

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
?? Don't tease! :razz:

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Well I was so excited I pushed the submit button before I wrote the message.

I got a flickr update from Peter Torraca, and this little beauty was there. It''s 2.01 cts and it''s available. I bet it sparkles like a star. I thought my step cut was a great performer, but this one is bound to be better. Rats, perhaps I should have waited it out. Can''t resist those square step cuts though. Other newbies on his flickr stream as well.

I don''t think this little beauty has made it to the public website yet it''s that new!

Peter Torraca tsavorite 2cts.jpg

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Link?

You know, it looks almost too light to be called a tsav...or is it just me?

icekid

Ideal_Rock
stop taunting... we want info
11.gif
9.gif

eta--- oooooh I see the photo- that looks like a really pretty lighter green!

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/19/2009 3:36:45 PM
Author: MakingTheGrade
Link?

You know, it looks almost too light to be called a tsav...or is it just me?

I agree, MTG. It IS on the lighter side, but there are really no definitions of what color actually qualifies as tsav, as far as I know.

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
I didn''t mean to tease, honest! I''d have waited a couple of hours if that were the case.

Well it may be on the lighter side, I don''t know. I tend to like my stones on the lighter side. I do wonder though how much the reflection is playing a part because these tsavs (I''m guessing it came from the same parcel as mine) sparkle so much.

I''m going to try and get some shots of mine this afternoon.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree that it is too light to be classified as a tsavorite for most in the trade. However, there is no exact definition either. To be fair, it can be called a green grossular garnet, perhaps?

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
It''s pretty! I wonder if it would be darker in person??

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have one such light green grossular garnet that was sold to me as a tsavorite, but the vendor was honest in that it was light toned and as such may not be what most consider tsavorite. The stone below was discounted due to the light tone.

tsavoriteornot.jpg

PinkTower

Brilliant_Rock
I have one on the way to me. 2.21, so a similar size.
The tone is described as medium, and the brilliance is very good. Here it is, for comparison, but we know they are tricky to photograph:

green reduce.JPG

AustenNut

Brilliant_Rock
I saw the beauty and boy was I tempted. Unfortunately I just bought some other stones and can''t justify another purchase. But wowza, it''s gorgeous!

oddoneout

Ideal_Rock
I really like the cut and the lighter colour is nice too.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I bet it''s darker in person! Lovely cut. Now I have to go back and check the price and see if it''s sold...but I''m on a budget.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
It''s beautiful-I love the lighter color!

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
I think the new tsavorite offered by Peter probably looks a lot darker in reality to the picture. Here''s a photo of my little guy that Peter took. I don''t see any of those pale green colours. I think they are much more indicative of the sparkle factor. I''ll post my shot next.

tsavvy for Gailey 012.jpg

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Now while my shot is pitiful, you can see how dark in reality the stone is. What my picture doesn''t capture is the sparkle. Now my stone is a step cut and therefore not as brilliant as the stone on offer.

I tell you, if I didn''t already have my stone, I would never have posted this new one because it would be on it''s way to me!!

I don''t have time for more photos today, but will try again tonight. This one was taken on a very overcast, very grey day with natural light coming in from the window only.

tsavvy for Gailey 03.jpg

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
I''m hoping that my stone will be on it''s way to Brian and Lesley within the next few days. I will ask them to take some shots of it as well. It looks almost black in the picture and in reality it is somewhere between my shot and Peter''s.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So question? at what saturation does a tsav not be a tsav? I got a tsav ring but I guess from what I''m hearing it may not be? (I''ll post pics when I receive it)

BTW, far as I''m concerned that stoned is called GORGEOUS
18.gif
30.gif

-A

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gailey,
Since I doubt your well cut stone has that much extinction, I’m pretty sure the darkness you see is due to head obstruction (aka shadowing from the camera).
9.gif
You can remedy that by having your light source come from a different direction, or the easiest fix is to take a picture outdoors (although it might be a challenge if it’s still snowing outside).

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/20/2009 1:56:57 PM
Author: Arcadian
So question? at what saturation does a tsav not be a tsav? I got a tsav ring but I guess from what I''m hearing it may not be? (I''ll post pics when I receive it)

BTW, far as I''m concerned that stoned is called GORGEOUS
18.gif
30.gif

-A
In my reading and observation, it appears that anything lighter than a medium light green is too light to be considered a tsavorite. That said, I do not think there is a definitive answer as to where the cut point is.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love your step cut tsavorite. It looks like a great stone.

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/20/2009 2:36:00 PM
Author: Chrono
Gailey,
Since I doubt your well cut stone has that much extinction, I’m pretty sure the darkness you see is due to head obstruction (aka shadowing from the camera).
9.gif
You can remedy that by having your light source come from a different direction, or the easiest fix is to take a picture outdoors (although it might be a challenge if it’s still snowing outside).
Yes I think you are right Chrono. I was trying to avoid the tilt window! High up on my list of things to do this fall is to resolve my photography problems which stem from bad technique and bad equipment. There certainly isn''t any extinction in my stone. I''ll give it another whirl in a couple of days, when I''ve got a bit more time.

tsavvy

Shiny_Rock
Gailey, thanks for posting Peter''s tsavorite. It looks like a great cut and it would be interesting to see the color in person, particularly given your tsavorite experience with him :) I would love to see it, but am putting my funds toward a few settings... Hopefully a PSer will buy it so we can see pictures.

Do you have a tripod, by the way? It helps with the shadow/obstruction issues quite a bit.

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Hey Tsavvy,

Yes, I do have a tripod, albeit a flimsy one. I''ll dig it out. The trouble is my camera (Nikon Coolpix 5700) is notoriously bad at focussing in low light conditions. I need a nice day warm enough to take pictures outside.

And your right, Peter''s cuts are first class. I think I am up to my 9th PT stone.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My experience with garnets is that the tolerance for tilt windows is quite high, so you should be fine. I, too, have a not so good quality point and shoot so I can only take outdoor pictures because I don''t feel like messing around with lighting indoors.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results