shape
carat
color
clarity

PSA, the next 47 hours is the best time to finally buy an RO water filter for your kitchen

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A reverse osmosis filter removes zillions of yuckies that other filters can't.

The one I installed in my kitchen 21 years ago finally gave up the ghost. RIP
Being the old design it had a big water tank under the sink and used or "wasted" 3 gallons of water for every gallon of utra-pure, nearly-distilled, water that it produced.

Some of the newest RO units have no tank; they're like those instant heat-on-demand water heaters with no tank.
The are smaller, and this particular model uses "wastes" only 1 gallon for every gallon of pure water.
You can think of the water "wasted" the same way you think of the water used to launder your clothes or wash your dishes.
You can send that "waste" water down the drain or save it for watering your lawn or washing your floors and cars.
We use about 2 gallons a day, so that's almost enough for one toilet flush.

Amazon prime has it now, discounted $72 or 20%, for "Prime Days", which ends tomorrow Oct 14 at 11:59 PM PST.
Regularly it's $360, for but 48 hours it is only $288.

It is much easier for the user to install it compared to the old tankless ones.

This company, Waterdrop, makes 3 models.
The other 2 models waste twice as much water compared to this newest model in pic below.
Also, the new model has a 50% faster flow rate, 600 gallons per day vs. 400.

RO filtering the water that the city is already delivering to your home, via underground pipes, is VERY green compared to buying bottled water, having it delivered in a diesel-exhaust-belching truck, or buying Brita filters.
Overall RO water costs a tiny fraction of bottled water and tastes so good ... because it has no taste.
Reportedly the RO filters with tanks made water that had a detectable taste as the tank aged, but all the water from a tankless RO filter is fresh and has not been sitting around for glob knows how long.

Screen Shot 2020-10-13 at 1.20.54 AM.png

Last edited:

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the heads-up, kenny :))

The wastage from RO has been my main concern (well, other than the cost :lol: lol) but if it's down to 1:1 use:waste proportions, that is much better.

We were lucky enough to stay in a place that had RO fitted and a direct aquifer supply - amazingly clean, and even better to swim in!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How does RO water taste?
I understand that RO takes out minerals as well affecting the taste of the water.

Also-is this true?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I eat an extremely healthy balanced diet, and take a daily supplement.
The average American eats feces compared to my diet.
I've read they sell "good" minerals that some people add to their RO water after all the bad things are removed.

Side effects?
Well, I've been drinking RO H2O for 21 years and it has made me a total F-ing A-hole on PS. :Up_to_something:

How does it taste?
It doesn't, honestly it doesn't.
There's no taste.

When you get used to water with no taste, you really notice all the various unpleasant tastes in water that is less pure.
When I drink non- RO water my mind races imagining what the hail is in it.

Great for my CPAP machine, and final rinse of my dental night guard.
Put in a spray bottle and it never clogs up, ever.
Great for putting in a spray bottle to rinse anything (like diamond) where you want no build up of mineral residue.
Over the long term (my last RO unit lived for 21 years) the cost, even after filter changes, averages out to pennies a gallon.

I also can pour it directly into my aquariums, without treatment, since the RO unit removes chlorine, chloramines and a zillion other yuckies.
I've used it in my iron for 21 years, and it still works like a charm.
Suntea, cooking, soups, ice.

When my Ex's parents visited they said it was the best H2O they'd ever drunk.
They raved that my coffee was the best ever.
They asked the brand of coffee I buy, but when they bought it and brewed it at their home they said it tasted just as bad as what they were used to.

Last edited:

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the heads up, ordered!

Also PSA: Don't forget to use AmazonSmile and designate a charity, they get a small percentage but it adds up! We have ours going to the local animal shelter and a few animal rescues.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Side effects ... Well, I've been drinking it for 21 years and it has made me a total F-ing A-hole on PS. :Up_to_something:

How does it taste?
It doesn't, honestly.
There's no taste.
When you get used to that you really notice all the unpleasant tastes in water that is less pure.

I also can pour it directly into my aquariums, with out treatment, since the RO unit removes chlorine, chloramines and a zillion other yuckies.

They asked the brand of coffee I buy, but when they bought it and brewed it at their home they said it tasted just as bad as what they were used to.

Thanks Kenny. It seems to depend where one lives if one should consider installing a RO system. That NCBI article I shared is an interesting read. Glad you are happy with the RO system.

And I second @ForteKitty 's recommendation. We also have our Amazon Smile going towards 2 local animal rescue groups.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Side effects ... Well, I've been drinking it for 21 years and it has made me a total F-ing A-hole on PS. :Up_to_something:

How does it taste?
It doesn't, honestly.
There's no taste.

When you get used to no taste, you really notice all the various unpleasant tastes in water that is less pure.
Great for my CPAP machine, and final rinse of my dental night guard.
Great for putting in a spray bottle to rinse anything (like diamond) where you want no build up of mineral residue.
Over the long term (my last RO unit lived for 21 years) the cost, even after filter changes, averages out to pennies a gallon.

I also can pour it directly into my aquariums, without treatment, since the RO unit removes chlorine, chloramines and a zillion other yuckies.

Sounds great
we have to do something to get rid of the lime scale and this sounds considerably cheaper than a water softener which seem to start at about 3k here
but it must remove the floride?
I guess we would then need to take floride tablets like people on rural water supplies ?
I assume when it removes the chlorine the chlorine has already done its job and killed any bugs

our water actually tastes nice, i drink a lot of tap water
its just the lime scale that is the problem

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
D&D, I believe RO units do remove fluoride, which many folks do not want ... and you can get it from many toothpastes and mouthwashes.

BTW, IIRC there are fancier RO filters that can automatically add the good minerals back into the RO water after filtering out the bad stuff.

Last edited:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
D&D, I believe RO units do remove fluoride, which many folks do not want ... and you can get it from many toothpastes and mouthwashes.

sounds a good compromise to get rid of the lime scale
the ministry of health promote fluoride use here and most large towns and cities have fluoride in the water
Gary has dreadful teeth - he is convinced its from 8 years of living with fluoridated water

just thinking about how your coffee tastes great
i used to quite like the taste of aspro clear - but since moving here it tastes really awful - i have to disguise it with a splash of lime when i have a head ache

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've been thinking ....... always a danger ..... :lol: ..... I may experiment with quickly spraying down the shower walls with RO water after showers.

That may rinse away much of the tap-water minerals and some of the soap scum that build up, reducing the eventual labor of cleaning.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've been thinking ....... always a danger ..... :lol: ..... I may experiment with quickly spraying down the shower walls generously with RO water after showers.

That may rinse away much of the tap-water minerals and some of the soap scum, reducing the eventual labor of cleaning.

How about rinsing with white vinegar? I think that works pretty well on soap scum and minerals.

Some additional tips that might be helpful.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, but the smell of vinegar makes me hurl.

That's why I can't eat (or even smell) ketchup, mayo, salad dressings, mustard or any foods containing discernible vinegar.
Childhood torture.

Ever see the film, Mommy Dearest?
The scene in which Joan tried to force Christina to eat the ultra-rare steak triggers for me similar joys of childhood. :knockout:

I usually leave the house when SO eats anything containing vinegar.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Whenever I make a recipe calling for vinegar I sub lemon or lime juice.

I scrub sink and shower with lemon juice and sprinkles of baking soda.
Cheaper, works great, and no hurling.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah I also hate the smell. I did see that film but don't remember the scene. There was a lot of that film I couldn't bear to watch. I am a wimp that way. :(

I love the smell of lemon.

123ducklings

Brilliant_Rock
PSA: you can get it a bit cheaper by buying direct from Waterdrop right now

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks, but the smell of vinegar makes me hurl.

That's why I can't eat (or even smell) ketchup, mayo, salad dressings, mustard or any foods containing discernible vinegar.
Childhood torture.

Ever see the film, Mommy Dearest?
The scene in which Joan tried to force Christina to eat the ultra-rare steak triggers for me similar joys of childhood. :knockout:

I usually leave the house when SO eats anything containing vinegar.

be thankful your SO does not like vinegar on his chips
worst thing ever !
i use white vinegar in the laundry sometimes but i have the door and the window open and the smell is gone by the final rince

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

i will try this in the shower
lemons are something we always have in over supply
thank you Kenny

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
we had to get a plumber out yesterday
we had a burst pipe under the house
mucking around in the shubbery at 11pm looking for the tobby (sorry i don't remenber the American word) is definatly not as much fun as it sounds

the young wipper snapper that got sent out did a really awsome job under there - seems we had all new pipes apart from a small length that was still copper and it didn't cope when the council turned the water off for some reason late that night

he said the water in Wanganui is Cr#p, especially for appliances :(2
so the water softener is back on the to do list rather than the wish list

less bling for me
really have to get job !

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
PSA: you can get it a bit cheaper by buying direct from Waterdrop right now

Thanks, yeah I noticed that, 8 dollars cheaper IIRC.

Still, I went with Amazon as I have more familiarity and confidence in their customer service.

Last edited:

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks for posting your recommendation and experience. Very helpful!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results