shape
carat
color
clarity

PSA - how you get a trapped hummingbird out of your garage (cute hummingbird pics in post!)

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
My husband texted me today that a hummingbird flew into the garage and couldn’t get out, despite the door being wide open. The bird was obviously stressed and was chirping and bumping his head on the ceiling. :( So I googled “how to get a hummingbird out of your garage“ and apparently it’s a thing. They just try to fly up and don’t understand how to fly out. If you don’t help them they die of exhaustion!! :cry2: So what you’re supposed to do if this happens is get a rake or a long stick of some kind, and they will hop on it. Then lower the stick toward the door and they will fly right out! DH tried that and it worked like a charm! I just wish I had seen the cute little guy. But DH got some pics.

3972B6C1-4338-4238-97AF-CE47A7DDB0DB.jpeg

624F6D36-5379-4DF0-B01A-B1BE6CCDF772.jpeg 7A8651F7-9016-4E9C-9239-C23D81CFEC64.jpeg

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, I'm so glad she got out safely. I've read about them flying into garages and not finding their own way out so I'm glad you looked it up and it worked. Hummingbirds are my favorites and I love to watch them. Mine seem to have migrated in the last week or so, so I won't see them again until next spring.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Awwww......poor little sweetie!
I'm glad this story had a happy ending!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love hummingbirds (who doesnt, right?) So glad you and your DH were able to assist her in getting out!

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've had to take a couple hummingbirds to a bird rehab facility. They seemed stunned, sitting on the deck and not moving even when my dog was barking. That's how you get a bird - you hold a stick out and they stand on it. Then you can get them in an aerated box or cover them with cheesecloth and transport them. It's so nice when you pick them back up and release them back onto your property.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
I've had to take a couple hummingbirds to a bird rehab facility. They seemed stunned, sitting on the deck and not moving even when my dog was barking.

Awww poor little things. What was wrong with them, do you know?

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Awww poor little things. What was wrong with them, do you know?

I really have no idea. They were just stunned. In both cases they recovered beautifully and flew off like little champs after I brought them back and released them in the yard.

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
Yay for the birdie rescue!
I do a version of the same with a feeder.
We get a few in the the big barn every year. I just unhook one of the feeders, walk to the door and hold it up- they usually zip right to it and then we walk back to where the hook is in the yard.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
My husband texted me today that a hummingbird flew into the garage and couldn’t get out, despite the door being wide open. The bird was obviously stressed and was chirping and bumping his head on the ceiling. :( So I googled “how to get a hummingbird out of your garage“ and apparently it’s a thing. They just try to fly up and don’t understand how to fly out. If you don’t help them they die of exhaustion!! :cry2: So what you’re supposed to do if this happens is get a rake or a long stick of some kind, and they will hop on it. Then lower the stick toward the door and they will fly right out! DH tried that and it worked like a charm! I just wish I had seen the cute little guy. But DH got some pics.

3972B6C1-4338-4238-97AF-CE47A7DDB0DB.jpeg

624F6D36-5379-4DF0-B01A-B1BE6CCDF772.jpeg 7A8651F7-9016-4E9C-9239-C23D81CFEC64.jpeg

OMG that's amazing
we used to get a ton of birds traped in our glass entrance way at our old place
Its very upsetting
im so happy this worked for your hummingbird

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results