shape
carat
color
clarity

PS Mommy thread with toddlers 12-36 months

lliang_chi

Ideal_Rock
Kunzite, Dust to sweet M. Hoping the MRI will go quickly. You're triple qualified for this thread :) Does this mean you're going to stop posting pics of M&E too? Sigh, you make the cutest babies.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
So, let me see. A has FINALLY been discharged from physical therapy, but is actually taking a class to concentrate on her gross motor skills on Saturdays with Daddy. It's with a physical therapy assistant, so they'll be able to keep their eye on her.

Other stuff...I found out recently that an injury I got as an 11 year old screwed up my kneecap, and as a result, my femur grew slightly deformed. I finally went to go get my knee checked out from when I fell when we were moving, and instead of finding out I had torn a tendon or something relatively easy to fix, I found out that I get to start going to physical therapy all of the time, I'm looking at a surgery soon to try to hold off on having an inevitable knee replacement before 40.

So, having just had an MRI, my hugs go out to little M.

Damn UPS guy just knocked on the door, and interrupted A's nap, so there goes my peace and quiet! And the longer post I was planning on. Ugh.

But here are some pics at least!

baby_fork_n_spoon.jpg

baby_birthstone.jpg

baby_hug.jpg

baby_model.jpg

Kunzite

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you so much for the dust ladies!

NEL, I suppose I didn't specify, did I? They want to make sure that his giant head (99%) isn't from a condition that prevents him from absorbing spinal fluid. I thnk at its core that's why I'm so upset because deep down I've always worried about that big head! Yes, they have to sedate him :(sad

LC, I said I would stop posting O's pictures around a year and wasn't successful until after his second birthday...so we'll see! :lol:

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Kunzite|1370643188|3461174 said:
Thank you so much for the dust ladies!

NEL, I suppose I didn't specify, did I? They want to make sure that his giant head (99%) isn't from a condition that prevents him from absorbing spinal fluid. I thnk at its core that's why I'm so upset because deep down I've always worried about that big head! Yes, they have to sedate him :(sad

LC, I said I would stop posting O's pictures around a year and wasn't successful until after his second birthday...so we'll see! :lol:
Hugs Kunzite. My daughter has a big head too, and she had an ultrasound when she was little to make sure things were ok, and she didn't have "water on the brain"/hydrocephalus. She didn't, and she doesn't, and we have been to a pediatric neurosurgeon entirely too many times. But she still has a big head and has been at or close to 99% since she was born.

One thing they told me to consider is that since the "Back to Sleep" program started, children's heads have been changing shape because of all of the time spent with their heads flat against a surface. So the average head size is actually going up, but not because of heads really getting bigger, but because the spot they take the measurement has increased in circumference due to the change in shape.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you guys. I know it's scary.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hugs, Kunzite, and happy birthday to your boys!!! They are all just gorgeous!

Here is Alex with her first set of (3) pigtails:

alexpigtails.jpg

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
Freke, such adorable pics of A. She still seems like the happiest kid ever.

Monnie, your A is such a doll...just so cute. I can't wait to see the quilt when it's done :)

Kunzite, so sorry about M's MRI--I can definitely understand being nervous. If M did have excess spinal cord fluid, would he be exhibiting any symptoms? When is the MRI? I'll definitely keep M (and you) in my thoughts!

Also, I may need to pick your brain about double strollers at some point. We have the Bumbleride Indie (single) and love it...curious how you like your double.

AFU, having a tough weekend with K. Remember how I was saying we were lucky because she wasn't having any tantrums? I jinxed myself. This weekend, anytime we've told her "no", she throws herself on the ground and cries. Or she'll pick something up and throw it. Or she'll hit us...that one is the most fun. If she just throws herself on the ground, I ignore it. But if she tries to hit me, I pick her up, put her somewhere else and walk away. It's hard for me to not get frustrated, but I don't think you're supposed to show any emotion. I bought 1-2-3 Magic this weekend, but might need another book or two on discipline.

This morning she threw a FIT because I wouldn't let her touch a spider.

She's also started climbing on things. How to you childproof vertically? I'm attaching a picture I took today...the ottoman is surrounded by pillows to deter her from climbing on the ottoman. D also turned on the TV, which was another diversion technique.

While we're excited that I'm pregnant again, we had laugh about K being so challenging this weekend. We keep saying "how are we going to do this with two?"

katie_relaxing_16mo_ps.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Congrats NEL!

When A started climbing, I let her, I was just always behind her spotting her and making sure she didn't fall too hard. Unfortunately she's just at that age where she is going to fall, and she's going to cry and make a huge fuss, and it'll suck for everyone involved. But it's necessary for motor skills and her development, so I'd just recommend letting her do it unless you can't be there with her for a while to make sure she doesn't fall hard.

Now that she's doing a gross motor skills class, the therapy assistant is making her climb all over stuff to develop balance, coordination, etc. Now A rarely falls and is great at climbing up on ottomans, the couch, chairs (not dining chairs - she knows her limits pretty well) but she still has plenty to learn, because she's just not good at climbing ladder type things or stairs.

Good luck, I know it's scary. You have to keep watching them when they are up on stuff too obviously. I about had a heart attack when A fell over the arm of the couch once upon a time. Tears for a minute, I distracted her, and she hasn't tested THAT particular obstacle again.

lliang_chi

Ideal_Rock
NEL, Ethan started climbing on the ottoman this weekend too. He actually fell twice yesterday, one on his butt and one header. Both he fussed for 10 sec and was fine. If he's not going to get seriously hurt, I just let him fall, it's the only way he learns. (Says the mom that let him fall off stairs so he learned he needed to go down them properly).

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
So funny you ladies are in the "let them learn on their own" camp...of course, within reason. I have the same mentality, but my DH absolutely does not. He still freaks out if she barely bumps into something. The worst is that when she has a tantrum, she'll often throw herself on the ground. My husband will literally run to her and try to protect her from throwing herself on the ground. Whereas I don't want to acknowledge the tantrum in any shape or form. So then K is screaming about who knows what, I'm yelling at D to get away from her and he's yelling at me that he can't just let her throw herself on the ground. Awesome.

Our dining table has a bench, so her favorite thing to do is climb on the bench, then climb on top of the table. I found this out last Friday when I turned around and saw her standing on the dining room table holding a box of Kix (apparently her motivation to climb). I had a mild heart attack. I don't even want to think about how D would have reacted if he'd seen it (or even knew about it!) So now I literally can't take my eyes off of her.

lliang_chi

Ideal_Rock
NEL, LOL, your K sounds fearless. :) Ethan right now just climbs the ottoman but he still tries to climb the couch, futon and glider in his room. So far he hasn't tried the dining chairs, thankfully. I'm chuckling a little bit at the picture of all 3 of you guys yelling during one of K's tanty sessions. It must be hard for your DH, but he'll have to just let her go at some point. Has he read any toddler books or 1-2-3 Magic?

Kunzite

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks again ladies! The dr. called this morning and everything came back normal :halo:

Freke, your post made me feel so much better while we were waiting. The flat head thing makes so much sense! When the nurse was checking M in she even asked if he was there to check on his flat spot :lol: Love the pictures of A, she's such a cutie!

Monarch, I'm going to request that you stop posting ridiculously adorable photos of A in pigtails. Must not try for a girl, must not try for a girl..... :love:

NEL, your DH would just DIE at my house!! Maybe it's a boy thing but between O and E I think I counted nearly two dozen bruises the other day :-o So it's safe to say I don't worry about tantrums or climbing onto things!! Although I did find E on the side table with the lamp today. That's super problematic because 1. we need the light from the lamp and can't relocate it and 2. I consider my living room a "safe" room and leave the kids in there alone when I need to do something (go to the bathroom, make a bottle, take a nap... j/k!!) I can't have him making my safe room unsafe!! Head scratcher. When my kids tantrum (all started around 10 months!!) I don't look at them and walk away if possible. You're right that attention and emotion will only make the problem worse. It sounds like we have pretty similar strict parenting styles. I haven't finished 1-2-3 Magic yet, but I love what I've read so far and it closely mirrors what I was already doing (ask him to stop, give a warning, and then TO). Keeping my emotions in check is always my downfall. I don't know how I'm expected to keep calm when O kicks his brother in the face, kwim? I'm trying though. Oh, and LOVE the double Indie. I'm assuming you're looking to get new, but we have both a 2009 and a 2012 and the 2012 handles much better. I don't have any complaints. My DH took O and his cousin to the zoo this weekend and did remark that it was harder to maneuver b/c there was about a 15lb weight difference, but my niece is huge so I doubt you'd run into that problem (most 45lb kids aren't in a stroller).

ETA, and NEL!! You too! Stop posting pictures of those amazing curls!! TDF! Gah, my ovaries!

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
Kunzite, I'm so glad that the MRI came back normal...that must feel like a HUGE weight lifted from your shoulders. Does M have a flat spot on his head? K's had mild plagiocephaly due to torticollis and lordy did it take forever for her head to even out. I think K started physical therapy at around 9 weeks (the asymmetry was 6 cm) and by 9 or 10 months is was down to 2cm. I think it continued to improve up to a year, though, because I don't notice any asymmetry now.

Getting emotional is my big downfall, too. I have more patience with K than anybody else on earth, but I still find myself getting frustrated and then, of course, feeling bad. And our living room was a "safe" zone, too, but she's found a way to make it unsafe. I had to laugh at the thought of you coming into the living room and finding E on the side table. I may have to start putting K in a pack and play when I have to take my eyes off of her (like you said, I do need to use the bathroom from time to time). I just find the constant monitoring to be so exhausting.

LC, D has read a couple of books, but they are more focused on child development and less on parenting. He's laid-back and patient, but hypochondriacal, so he has real fears about K injuring herself (especially her head).

lliang_chi

Ideal_Rock
Kunzite, I'm so glad to hear that M's results came back normal. I know it's hard to wait when you're worried about your LO. So funny that your E ended up climbing up on a side table. Re: the lamp, do you think you can get a wall mounted sconce instead of a table lamp? That way at least the babies can't knock the lamp over. Although they might want to swing from it :rolleyes: :-o :mrgreen: :errrr: I'm like you, I find it hard to keep my emotions in check. It takes a while for me to reach my melting point, but it's really hard to just let it go. I keep trying though.

NEL, Wow, so great that D reads books. I'm so jealous. J doesn't, he just relies on me to tell him things. Then gets annoyed when I break it down like I'm talking to a little kid or make a unilateral decision. I've learned to no just say, "What do you think?" to make him actually THINK about stuff instead of just complaining about my decisions.

AFU, things are going just fine. Ethan's now trying to say some words like "book" (Boo), "dog" (dao). But still not talking. He doesn't say "No" either, a part of me thinks that's weird. He's getting to be so much fun. I've been sick the past week, and that's been kinda a bummer. But other than that, things have been OK. And I just take Ethan into the bathroom with me. It keeps me from having to worry about what he'll get into. But then I am unable to entertain him while we're in there but at least I know he's not going to hurt himself. I have some pics of Ethan on our ottoman, but they're nakey pictures so I won't post them. I'll get more pics of him climbing on it while dressed and share. :)

2013-06-03_18.jpg

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi ladies!

Kunzite, so glad to hear the MRI came back normal! What a relief. Sorry to post so many cute pics of A, but please find comfort in the fact that every time I see your boys it makes me want one of those, too! ;-)

NEL, K is such a beautiful baby. Between those dark curls and her bright blue eyes, her pics slay me with cuteness every time! I hear you on the frustration--A wants to "help" me do everything (already?!) and I find myself losing my patience about the time my husband is due home every day because mentally I've reached a limit, and if he's even 10 minutes later than he says he thinks he'll be home via text I've been kind of snippy with him. To remedy that, I started taking her for walks in the stroller about 15 minutes before his arrival. That way, change of scenery for both of us, and kills the urge to get impatient. So far, so good.

LC, Ethan is beyond adorable! Sounds like he's doing well with some words, and hey, that's better than not having any. My new boss has an 18 month old son and she was telling me how far behind she thinks he is in terms of speech. They all develop at their own pace--we know another couple whose son didn't walk until 18 months, but once he did he was running like the next day. Ethan will probably start speaking sentences out of the blue one day and never stop talking!

I finally got some pro pics of Alex back that were taken on April 30th. They turned out really well. I also finished her quilt yesterday, will post a pic of that, too.

mg8286ps.jpg

mg8475ps.jpg

_7188.jpg

alexquilt61313.jpg

lliang_chi

Ideal_Rock
Monnie, that's a beautiful quilt! I'm sure A will love it. What are you going to bind it with? I love the edges, it'll give lots of texture. Love the pictures of your beauty. I love the little hair flower. I gotta agree with Kunzite, those pics really make me want a girl.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, LC! I actually chose not to bind the edges of the quilt, keeping with the "rag" style, all I did was finish each side with a regular stitch and then clip the selvages just like the seams throughout the blocks. So it's frayed at the edges, too, making it soft all around. It's a ridiculously easy pattern, just search for "rag quilt" if you want to make one!

The hair flower was made by Clairetek for our elopement. I knew it would be a keepsake from the moment I received it. Thank you for noticing and for the compliment. I found the ivory dress online (Baby Gap) two days before the photo shoot and paid an exhorbitant amount for shipping and then had to reschedule the shoot because it wasn't going to arrive in time (I missed the order/ship cutoff by 15 minutes!) I originally wanted to just do a cake smash, but my husband said "what about some traditional/classic pictures?" and that sent me into a tailspin to find her something to wear beyond the basic fluffy dress. I'm glad it went that way, otherwise we wouldn't have these angelic pictures of her in that delicious little cloud of a dress. :saint: It was a really fun day at a local winery, daffodils bloomed everywhere, fruit trees were in full blossom...it is a great memory.

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
Monnie, it was worth rescheduling the shoot because that dress is absolutely perfect. Especially with Clairetek's beautiful hair flower. A looks adorable! And that quilt is so beautiful--I love all the texture. Thank you for posting!

LC, that pic of E in daddy's shoes is great!

We have an outdoor photo shoot in the morning and we're doing family pics, so today I'm scrambling to figure out what we're going to wear. I will likely be running to Baby Gap this afternoon. Luckily it's close and it's next to Banana Republic and a few other stores, so I'm hoping I can quickly find something that works for all of us.

Oh, and K just fell off of the ottoman. She was obsessed with climbing on it and I just let her be. She fell (didn't hurt herself, cried for maybe 4 seconds) and then she was over the climbing.

lliang_chi

Ideal_Rock
Monnie , that's so sweet that the hair flower was yours from your wedding and now A wore it for her pic. That dress is PERFECT and totally don't blame you for rescheduling. It's amazing :)

NEL, Oh sweet K fell. Sounds like she was like, "meh, whatever". I'm glad she cried for only a short duration. Ethan was the same way. Please post pics of your photo shoot. We haven't done any of Ethan in a while, it probably won't be until the holidays again. I personally love getting pro pics but James might see it as an expensive & frivolous buy.

AFU: We're going to enroll Ethan in swim classes this summer. There's some @ our gym that we'll plan on going to. I've been emailing the instructor and she said they're looking to get 1 more child (3 total) to start the class. We'll see if we'll get that. I hope so. DH said WAY long ago that he wants to get Lasik done by the time Ethan's ready to start swimming so he can open his eyes underwater. I'm hoping this is enough to kick him into gear about that.
Otherwise not much else is new here. Ethan's still super fun, throwing balls and climbing on the ottoman (trying to climb on the sofa). He's really good at getting down from furniture now, even tries off our VERY HIGH bed.

lliang_chi

Ideal_Rock
Posting a pic of Ethan on the ottoman for NEL.

Does any of your LOs have a lovey/blankie that they love? Ethan has a puppet, I call him SnuggleDuck, that he LOVES. So much he took him into the bath today. Of course that means he got all wet, and he didn't have him for bedtime. What do you guys do? Take it away and have them cry in the bath? I didn't realize he had SnuggleDuck until he was already wet and at that point I was like forget it.

2013-06-14_0.jpg

pancake

Brilliant_Rock
Monnie - beautiful beautiful photos! Beautiful beautiful girl, of course! Love the quilt. You are so crafty, I am NOT but wish I were!

Kunzite - what a huge relief re the MRI! I know you knew it was unlikely that anything would be wrong, but so much better to have it confirmed beyond doubt.

NEL - I kinda figure they're gonna fall, as long as it's not a "dangerous" one, it's ok. I know that D worries a lot about these things, though - hopefully he will gradually become a bit more desensitised to toddler bumps and scratches!

LC - I've often wondered how Dot would do without her bedtime toys (2 identical little guys called Grug - cult Australian children's picture book character of the 70s!) but got to test that last week when we left both at my mum's. She happily took her Banana in Pyjamas (another Australian TV cult character) to bed and didn't seem fussed at all. I think the reaction depends on the kid's temperament though!!

Freke - HOORAY for no more PT!!! Looks like A is as spirited and funny as ever!

We're well here. Sylvie has just come out of a 3 week sleep regression during which she was crying out multiple times during the night (not needing settling though) and then waking up at 5am. And mostly refusing to sleep during the day, UGH. Thank goodness, things seem to be going back to normal now!

She started walking 3 days ago, the day she turned 16 months. True to form as she always has been, she's her daddy's girl - he was the laid back late walker whereas I was the on-the-go, colicky, non-sleeping, spewy baby, haha! The main thing though is that she is talking up a STORM. It's good to know that my genes are in there somewhere ;-) I would say she has at least 50-60 words now, although new ones keep appearing. She commentates her day from the second she gets up until she goes to bed. In the morning when D brings her in for her feed she now waves furiously and says, "Hiiiiii Mummy! Hi Mummy!", then, "Ao!" ("ao" is the VNese word for dress/robe/top/shirt - she's referring to her sleeping bag) so that I take her sleeping bag off, then "Bu!" which is VNese for a feed. Then the day starts and it's all go. It's so funny now that I have an insight into what she's thinking about most of the time, even when she's chatting to herself in bed there are now intelligible words in the mix. Right now I have just put her in bed and she is yabbering something about the heater in her room. Starting to use 2 words in combination too, now. Very very exciting, and it's opening up a whole new dimension to the parenting thing.

Will dig out some photos and post soon...

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LC, no lovies here...which I find strange because I sort of expected her to get attached to something. I guess it's good that she hasn't?

Pancake: wow, congrats on Sylvie's first steps!!! You must be very proud! I am so impressed that she has 60 words, WOW. Good for you guys! Love that she's so verbal.

So when did you guys switch from baby food (jarred stuff, etc.) to exclusive human food? Just curious. Alex is doing well with all sorts of regular food in her highchair but I'm still giving her 3rd/4th stuff from jars to make sure she's getting her nutrition? I'm probably doing it wrong, but I only give her two ja rs a day (one fruit, one veggie) and feed her whatever we're eating besides. She had a normal health check at her one year appt, her height and weight is normal. I feel like since we've removed formula bottles that I'm depriving her now even though I give her sippy cups of water all the time. This is probably a really stupid question, sorry. I was looking back at the newborn-12 month thread and thinking "omg if only I'd known then!" Anyway, thanks.

pancake

Brilliant_Rock
Monnie, I'm probably the wrong person to answer as we did largely "big people" food from very early on. I phased out mashes completely at probably 8 months? But in any case, Alexandra would definitely have the oromotor skills to eat as much as she wants and needs if you stop offering her jars.

lliang_chi

Ideal_Rock
Monnie, We started introducing table foods at 9 months, and he started refusing purees at about 10 months. Does A take table food? If she's refusing it, then I'd keep with the jarred purees, but keep offering her table food. Also definitely offer high value stuff like greek yogurt, etc. And always keep trying, even if she refused last week, she might change her mind and eat something this week. Just feed her off your plate.

Pancake, Heart MELT reading about Sylvie's conversations. So sweet! I'm really impressed by the 50-60 words. Ethan still isn't saying much, I think he'll be the "strong silent type", LOL. Hooray for walking! She'll definitely be running in no time! Hmm.... I'll have to see if Ethan will take a substitue lovey, that would make it much easier when SnuggleDuck is out of commission for whatever reason.

AFU, Ethan was in a super good mood for Father's Day, so he was really fun hanging out with DH. I made brunch and my ILs were supposed to come. But MIL started feeling ill 10 mins before coming so decided to stay home. My sis and her BF came though, so we had a pretty fun time, just the 5 of us.

parrot tulips

Brilliant_Rock
It's been a loooong time. Since I've posted in this thread, and all the kiddos have gotten so big!

Monnie - A is beautiful. And the photos you posted are just gorgeous. As far as table foods, Ava never really loved purees so much, so we started trying to introduce table foods sooner rather than later. Despite being a super picky eater and having a seemingly light appetite, having been weaned from the boob at 14 months (never took a bottle...she outright refused them), and never really eating purees, Ava's growth has been right on track. Some days I worry she doesn't eat enough, but her pediatrician always assures me that as long as I keep offering healthy options, babies/toddlers WILL eat when they're hungry.

LC - E looks like such a little man! Glad to hear he was in a good mood for Father's Day. As far as a favorite toy/lovey, Ava doesn't have one, but is it possible for you to buy a back-up?

Pancake - Wow, I'm so envious of Sylvie's vocabulary! I feel like 9 times out of 10, Ava's fussiness could be avoided if she could communicate. She has maybe a dozen words, although it's clear she understands quite a bit more. And yay for the walking! Ava started at around 18 months. And boo for the sleep regression. I think we're in the midst of one ourselves, and it's rough.

NEL - Congratulations! I read your wonderful news on the TTC thread. I'll bet Katie will make a wonderful big sister.

AFU - Ava has a new cousin, and is expecting another one in November (I have 2 sisters who were/are expecting this year)! All three of them will be girls. Since we're TTC #2, I was curious about whether Ava might experience any jealousy. So when we went to visit my new niece and I was holding her, I kept an eye on A to see her reaction. She could not possibly have cared less. But when Grandma was holding the baby...Ava started whining terribly, clinging to Grandma's leg. Grandma is, after all, Ava's most favorite person in the whole world.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, thanks everyone for the responses on my food questions! Yesterday we let her eat off the table at my parents' house (she was alternating black olives and raspberries at one point--yuck!) and today she's had half a sliced banana, a half cup of sweet peas, a black bean burger, a handful of multi grain Cheerios, and I forget what else. I think we're done with purees unless I'm out of fresh stuff! After the weekend, we're down to one bottle of formula at 8:30 p.m. and one at midnight. I feel better about everything today.

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:wavey: I miss you guys! I barely have time to read here since going back to work but I popped in this morning to say hello and I saw your post, Kunzite. Sorry about your scare (and so glad everything is OK!). N1's head is really big too. Sometimes the nurse would remeasure to see if we could get him down to the 95th percentile! :lol: Whenever I see babies with normal sized heads, they look odd to me!

Conference call in 2 minutes but I'll try to stop back later with an update on us.

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
Monnie, sounds like you had some finger food success at your parents' house! We also stopped purees right at 12 months. Maybe 13 months. Our issue is that K just wouldn't tolerate my spoon feeding her anymore. She wanted to do it herself and finger foods became easier. I still give her pouches of yogurt or applesauce and she'll suck on them, but won't let me spoon feed them.

Puppmom and PT, it's so great to hear from both of you! PT, it sounds like everything is going well with Ava. How great is it that A has so many cousins now and that they're all girls?? I would love for K to have some cousins close in age. D is an only child, so she won't have any cousins here. That's one of the reasons we wanted to get crackin' on a sibling.

LC, sounds like you had a great father's day! Of course E was in a great mood on father's day...all the best behavior gets saved for dad :) Sorry your MIL couldn't make it, I hope she's feeling better.

As for loveys, K is just starting to have preferences. She does like to sleep with 2 pacis, 2 blankets and 2 monkeys, but lately she's been really wanting her musical seahorse doll thing from when she was a newborn. Last night she carried it around from the moment I got home to the moment she went to bed. I ended up putting it in bed with her, but she woke up an hour later crying and trying to turn it on, so I took it out of her crib. Anyway, I don't have any useful advice since this is new to me.

Pancake, S sounds like so much fun! I can't believe how much she's talking! It must be nice being able to communicate with her more. K's vocabulary is still very limited, but she babbles all the time and is using words that I think mean something to her, but not to me. Like PT, said, I think the majority of her fussiness would be eliminated if she could talk. And she also understands quite a bit. She points to body parts that I name, points to animals in books that I name, etc., so it's clear she understands words, but can't say them.

ETA: Meant to attach a pic of Katie from her 16 month photo shoot. I ran out the day before and bought her a cute dress, but it ended up not fitting, so I had to throw her in this romper at the last minute. Her hair is turning more red and is getting out of control!

photo_1_ps.jpg

parrot tulips

Brilliant_Rock
Oh NEL. Those eyes and that hair!!! :love: :love: :love:

lliang_chi

Ideal_Rock
PT, Long time no see/hear, friend! How's sweet A doing? Hooray for new cousins! It's wonderful that she'll have other cousins to play with while growing up. That's awesome. Count me in with being impressed by Pancake's S and her vocabulary. Ethan just babbles and says "Buh-oooo" or "Dooooh". No words yet. Best of luck on the TTC front. I think Ava would make an amazing big sister.

Monnie, how as your A been taking to the table food? Any more successes? I taught Ethan how to put raspberries on his finger tips so now he loves them. :) It's so cute to watch. Glad you're feeling better about A's eating.

Pupp, we miss you too! OMG, Ethan's head is also gigantic. It kinda looks normal with all his hair and when he has clothes on. It helps that we use cloth diapers because the big cushy butt balances out his above average noggin'.

NEL, Sigh! K's such a beautiful little girl! I love her curls and her striking eyes. Your K is so smart! Ethan likes to point out animals in his books, but can't point them out when I name them. He does know his body parts (mostly). He knows his belly, his nose, his chin, his ear, his noggin'. Sometimes we have to prompt him/give him a hint.

Thanks for all the advice/experience with lovey's. I'd love to get a back up SnuggleDuck but Ethan got it as a present from MIL. She got it at a bookstore, and I went on the website and they didn't have it. Sigh! I'll try to find other ducks on Amazon and see if they're acceptable substitutes for him.

Attaching a pic from Father's day weekend with Ethan & DH.

img_20130619_023557.jpg

pancake

Brilliant_Rock
PT!!! So good to see you! Please post some pics of Ava, I bet she is still a gorgeous little dumpling with those amazing cheeks! I agree that a lot of frustration is probably avoided by Dot being able to talk quite a bit. Part of it is probably her temperament as well, but she doesn't get cross/angry/frustrated much and I think that being able to say what she wants/is thinking helps a lot. Good luck with TTC #2 - I have been reading your posts over on the other thread. I can see where your hubby is coming from, feeling that something is missing and incomplete, but I also understand your feelings that your family is perfect the way it is - hopefully it helps you feel more philosophical about the process.

NEL - when did Katie suddenly sprout those Shirley Temple CURLS??? How utterly gorgeous! And I love a bub in a romper, I think the outfit is perfect. Just beautiful. With the babble etc, it's funny - as Sylvie's vocab expands I often realise in hindsight that [babble X] actually meant [whatever the word is that she can now say]. Her 1 syllable words are very clear, but it can take me a little while to work out what her 2 syllable words are.

LC that photo made me laugh out loud!!! Re speech, it is true that boys often tend to get onto the talking train a little later with girls, generally speaking. It sounds like he understands everything. Body parts are a real hit here too. Sylvie takes great delight in pointing at my body parts, and then hers, and telling me what they are. "[body part] Mummyyyyyyy...[body part] bay-beeeeeeeee", haha.

Dot's over her separation anxiety. Today when I left her with my mother she came to the door and said "baaaaaaaaaiiiiiiiii Mummy" a few times and waved, but then got distracted by the shoe rack ("SHOES!!!!!!!!!!!!") and then didn't even notice when I left. It's nice to know that she's feeling secure at the moment, the intermittent separation anxiety is so normal but breaks my heart a little!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results