PS Mommy Thread-Newborn to 12 months!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/23/2009 9:10:38 PM
Author: TanDogMom

Date: 10/23/2009 4:29:58 PM
Author: MustangGal
fiery - have fun at the concert!

sha - I have ''old school'' style bumpers in my crib. They''ve been in there from the start, and he''s 8 months old and not an issue yet. I tried to take them out a few months ago, and he promptly got his foot stuck in the slats. The mesh style ones look like a neat idea though.

Kyle''s now coughing
38.gif
, so I guess he did get something, and DH is still being a baby and sniffling. But, my parents are coming to stay for the weekend, and bring my new couches!

Ditto on the bumper. We do the same. We like the ultimate crib sheet very much as well! I also like how the bumper keeps him from looking out of his crib while he''s in there. We had lots of sleeping and napping troubles for many months so whatever I can do to minimize distractions is a good thing. My AAP book, current edition, actually recommends bumpers which surprised me. I asked one of the pediatricians in our practice and he did not feel strongly one way or the other.
Only get a sheet for your bed, everything else is a waste. I use the old school bumpers now. Got the mesh ones and they didn''t work with my crib. He does try to climb over the bumpers sometimes though
20.gif

Mela One more week living in a one bedroom apt. until we get our house and move to our new city! We are staying with family now and have been for 26 days!!

Note to momsI don''t recommend stayign with family for a month with an 8 month old, not matter how much money you will save it is not worth it!
3.gif

nycbkgirl

Brilliant_Rock
hey everyone...i try to read and post and catch up whenever i get a minute..which is rare and usually after 10pm...

Fiery- sorry about the sleeping
7.gif
but u def need mommy-free nites..im big on those rest days and try to enjoy urself!!!
DD- eh i can imagine staying with other ppl and not feeling "at home" esp with a baby!
Mgal- sorry about ur cousin
8.gif

speaking of bumpers...this is what Jon would do when we first put the bumpers on after he kept hitting his head and get his limbs stuck everywhere!..i was not happy with this and had it fixed and he doesnt do it anymore!.little rascal.

Hi to everyone else
35.gif

bumper.jpg

Blenheim

Ideal_Rock
Dreamer - so our plan to move in with my in-laws with a 7 month old may not be the best idea? Dang.

Fiery - have fun at the concert!! I''d be in serious serious pain if I went 7 hours without nursing/pumping, so it may not be a bad idea just to carry a bottle with you so that you can hand-express in the bathroom or something if you need some relief from engorgement.

NYC- Oh jeez. Glad you got that fixed.

We''ve been trying out different foods with George. Here he is with broccoli today.
18.gif

(We''ve sold both our dining room set and kitchen table, and are waiting to buy a high chair until after our move... so we''re all eating on the floor now. Fun.)

GeorgeBroccoli.jpg

mela lu

Ideal_Rock
SO CUTE BLEN!!!
10.gif

PenelopeJane

Shiny_Rock
Blen George is sooooooooo cute!

We started CIO last night
15.gif
For the past 1-2 weeks, Axel has been refusing to nap (even in his swing which he used to LOVE) and waking up 3-5x a night which resulted in a cranky, tired baby. I even caved and rocked him to sleep for a few naps just so he could get some rest, but that only worked for a few days. He is 6 months, 2 weeks and 5 days old! (I have a ticker that keeps track...) So for me I felt he was old/big enough to do this.

Last night, he cried from 8:15pm-8:45pm and slept til 8am. It was SO hard listening to him cry, and after 15 mins I was about to go in and take him out, but luckily DH was there supporting and didn''t let me go in. I told him if he doesn''t stop after 15 more mins, I''m going in! Thank goodness he stopped.

I really hope tonight is better.

nycbkgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Blen- those pics are too cute! Such a big boy already! :))

PJ-
o I sympathize ! I def think u need to have a support system when starting cio! If my bff and dh weren''t there to help morally I would not have been able to do it! Im glad it didn''t last too long tho! Thankfully jon only needed about 3 nites of cio for him to sttn and has been doing so ever since and I am so thankful ....jackie is another story poor thing..dunno how I will get her sttn bc it requires cio and if jon is in there sleeping..well yeh I am lost with that one..need a 3 bdrm asap!...but hang in there mama..it will work and he will be just fine!

natalina

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks to everyone for the advice and support on the BF''ing pain. We are sticking it out right now. At least once a day I say to myself that tomorrow is the day I learn how to pump to give the nipples a break. But for some reason I''m afraid to start pumping. I really want BF''ing to be a special bonding time for us when she''s this young, and I''m worried introducing the pump will affect that. Does this make sense, or is it hormonal craziness?

Re: bumpers- we have the regular ones in there now, but she can''t even roll over yet, let alone crawl around. Once she is moblie weill switch to mesh.

blen- Pic is so cute!!!!

Dreamer- yay for being in the homestrech of living with family! I can imagine how hard it would be.

Fiery- I really feel for you about the trip to Singapore dilemma, and I can definitley commiserate on the sleep deprivation!!! Hope you and your boss can work something out. It was nice of him to cut it down to a week, though. You poor thing. Lots on your plate right now. Try to take care of yourself, too (easier said than done, I know). Hugs.

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
Natalina,

My daughter had the same dilemma regarding when to pump. Since her 30th birthday landed just around the baby''s 3.5 week, she decided she would pump earlier than she had hoped. She had the same fear about whether or not it would interfere with her bonding and potentially resulting in nipple confusion and rejecting the breast. It didn''t. It also gave Daddy a chance to feed her and for my daughter to go out and enjoy her birthday and allow me to babysit.
9.gif

It hasn''t been a problem for her at all. There is no harm in giving it a try. Most Moms will wait until four weeks. Good Luck, and don''t worry, it really does get easier, even when you have a baby that likes to bite...as my Granddaughter likes to do.
7.gif

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
Natalina- "They" say not to introduce a bottle or paci until bfing is well established, at least 3 weeks. That said, I pumped for 24 hours around day 5 because my nipples were awful and Sophia survived nipple confusion :p I also pumped for about 4 or 5 days at night when my mom came to visit so that I could catch up with sleep. She was probably about 2 weeks then.

What I learned from my bfing class is that bfing is not supposed to hurt. Sore, cracked, bleeding nipples are not a rite of passage but an indication that perhaps your latch is wrong (even if DD is eating well). If you haven''t seen a LC, you should. My LC said that with the proper latch your nipples can heal while you continue to bf and without needing to pump. I pumped though because I couldn''t get over the image of bleeding and trying to latch her at the same time. No way Jose

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/24/2009 12:57:01 PM
Author: Blenheim
Dreamer - so our plan to move in with my in-laws with a 7 month old may not be the best idea? Dang.
9.gif
Hey, anything is doable if you are sufficiently motivated! Actually, I think it will be easier for you because you co-sleep. The main issue for us is that Hunter is a very poor sleeper and especially so when he is sleeping in the same room with us. He wakes more and more and more often when we are all in the same room, approaching 6x per night
14.gif
Our bed isn''t big enough for me to feel comfortbale with him in it... the one night we tried DH almost rolled on top of him, he is a vry heavy sleeper. Anyways, you will probably find the all in one room thing easier. I am just so exhausted from lack of sleep that I really regret that we made this plan. Although now that it is only 5 more days and we have managed to get through our closing on our house without incurring any extra debt I am maybe feeling it is worth it?

Penelope CIO worked well for you! We will be doing it too when we move into our new house in one week. I have no fantasies that it will involve one session of CIO and the he will sleep all night. I know from my past experience that he wakes multiple times a night whether we CIO for one wake up or not. But maybe I will be proven wrong?

PenelopeJane

Shiny_Rock
Nycbk thanks, it would've back fired for sure without DH! Could you put Jon in your room for a few nights while Jackie does CIO in the nursery? In theory, once she is sleep trained, you can move Jon back to the nursery and they'll both STTN hopefully??? Logistics are different obviously with twins and I'm not sure how it'll work, but I'm sure you'll figure out when the time comes!

DD I thought the same thing. Axel used to wake 3-5x a night so I figured would have to CIO all night, but we got lucky.

Night #2 was a little better! He cried for 20 mins at bedtime and slept til 7am. Still struggling with naps, though. Haven't let him CIO during naps...thoughts??

ChinaCat

Brilliant_Rock
Hi mommies!

I am reading and keeping up with the thread but I am reading when I get up to BF at 5 or 6 am and by the time he''s done, I am off to bed before I have time to post. Hopefully I''ll be back posting regularly soon.

O is doing great, 9 weeks now. I feel like everything got better at 5 weeks, and then things got even easier at 7-8 weeks. BF has been easy, thankfully, I was sure it was going to be hard on me. He is sleeping okay at night, but naps are another story. I will take the trade-off, would rather him sleep well at night and be fussy during the day, but I think I need to start working on his naps. So I would be interested in any helpful hints as well!

BF- I know it''s easy for me to say since I didn''t have a problem, but my LC and others have said the same thing, that if your nipples are cracked and bleeding then the latch is probably wrong. I never had that kind of pain so it isn''t necessarily just part of it. Definitely call a LC, it''s hard enough in the first few weeks without dealing with that kind of pain as well. Good luck!

Here are a few pictures: First one at 3 weeks.

o3weeksDrEvil.jpg

ChinaCat

Brilliant_Rock
At around 5 weeks.

LonghornO.jpg

ChinaCat

Brilliant_Rock
And 9 weeks.

O9weeks.jpg

mela lu

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/25/2009 12:36:09 PM
Author: dreamer_dachsie
I have no fantasies that it will involve one session of CIO and the he will sleep all night. I know from my past experience that he wakes multiple times a night whether we CIO for one wake up or not. But maybe I will be proven wrong?
Okay Dreamy, I''m going to get a little bit airy fairy canary here
3.gif
....so here goes. Have you read ''the secret''? Well, without getting into a huge philosophical convo about it, I truly believe that THIS situation is exactly where the principles come in. I believe that babies can sense you''re confidence level, so if you are wavering deep down, they can "Smell" it. lol.

With Romeo, It was never an issue of "if" he would sttn, but "when". I never doubted for a second that he would do it, and I swear, he felt my confidence in him and he did it!
9.gif

I believe, that if you believe, then he will surprise you and do amazing things!
36.gif

okay. wispy, out!

Blenheim

Ideal_Rock
Thanks girls!

I''ve just felt like a bad mom today.
7.gif
George keeps hurting himself, and I feel like some of it would be preventable if I just had common sense about what is and isn''t safe for babies (George is the first one that I''ve really been around). Like he pulled himself up to standing using the coffee table, then started to bang on the coffee table with both hands (meaning that he wasn''t actually holding on at all), lost his balance, and fell, hitting his head on the corner. And I was just sitting next to him the whole time, without thinking that maybe I should get him away from sharp corners.

Pandora - Would you mind summarizing what the BLW book says about what can be introduced when? We eat a lot of stuff with tomato in it, and I''m just wondering if it''s ok to give that kind of stuff to him now. I gave him just a sip of my chili today and he got very mad at me that I wouldn''t give him any more, and if that''s okay for him to eat it would just be nice to know.
3.gif
I''m really trying to hold off on buying anything right now, but I''m probably going to go ahead and get the book on the other end of the move so that I can quit bugging you.

DD, sorry to hear that it''s been so rough for you. I agree that cosleeping (and being used to it, and having a baby who does well with it) should make the whole sleep situation much easier for us.

PJ - glad that CIO''s working well for you!

China - oh my gosh he''s adorable!!

Natalina - remind me again how old Ellie is? And have you seen an LC yet? I had horrible nipple pain and occasional bleeding nipples for the first 1.5 weeks or so, and had to set myself goals of getting through just one more day, but it got quite a bit better after that. I know that the official word is that if there''s pain then something''s wrong, but it seems like several of us here just had pain while we were getting used to it and nothing was wrong. But then again Mela went waaaay too long with undetected tongue tie. I''d definitely see someone to make sure that the latch is ok and that he doesn''t have tongue tie or other issues if you haven''t already. FWIW, I occasionally get a pain flareup because G decides to clamp down on me
29.gif
and pumping really doesn''t feel much better than nursing when I''m trying to get over a slight injury. I started pumping at 2.5 weeks, and introduced a bottle at 3.5 as BFing was going pretty well for us at that point so I wasn''t as worried about nipple confusion.

mela lu

Ideal_Rock
china - he is so cute! Love blond babies
10.gif

blen - dont beat yourself up! its better that George learns his own boundaries and safety on his own (even if it seems the hard way). There is nothing worse than over-protecting your kiddos. You''re doing a great job - dont worry Momma!

um, Natalina - def dont wait like I did to see a LC. If you dont feel that youre getting answers, get a second opinoin. I was a dunce for waiting so long. I have no idea how I made it through, but I''m glad I did
16.gif

I just bought a tiny little pink HP netbook for surfing the web (anywhere I please). It doesnt hold a candle to my iMac, but day-yam its convenient.
37.gif

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/25/2009 5:49:41 PM
Author: mela lu

Date: 10/25/2009 12:36:09 PM
Author: dreamer_dachsie
I have no fantasies that it will involve one session of CIO and the he will sleep all night. I know from my past experience that he wakes multiple times a night whether we CIO for one wake up or not. But maybe I will be proven wrong?
Okay Dreamy, I'm going to get a little bit airy fairy canary here
3.gif
....so here goes. Have you read 'the secret'? Well, without getting into a huge philosophical convo about it, I truly believe that THIS situation is exactly where the principles come in. I believe that babies can sense you're confidence level, so if you are wavering deep down, they can 'Smell' it. lol.

With Romeo, It was never an issue of 'if' he would sttn, but 'when'. I never doubted for a second that he would do it, and I swear, he felt my confidence in him and he did it!
9.gif

I believe, that if you believe, then he will surprise you and do amazing things!
36.gif

okay. wispy, out!
tee hee hee... no I am not that kind of thinker at all, it is a little "power of the mind" for me
19.gif
But I do think that babies feel our resolve and our mental state for sure. And you are right that I have not been totally sold on it. I have known for a long time that we were going to have this month where we were in limbo and I also knew that even if we succeeded in CIO and getting him on a good pattern, it would all go to crap while we were in strange places for a month and so I never wanted to commit to it. We have agreed for a while that we would attack it wholeheartedly when we were settled into our new place, so I think that on Nov. 7 we will be tackling it head on!
9.gif
No turning back!

There are some signs that it could go welll... lately Hunter has not been really drinking at night and is just sucking, and also there have been 3-4 occassions where he has put himself back to sleep easily within 5 minutes of waking, so I think that he is capable, he just needs a little practive
2.gif

nycbkgirl

Brilliant_Rock
CC- oh he''s too cute mama! Don''t worry time is hard to come by with infants!

Blen- u r NOT a bad mama...kids will get hurt with us there and w.o. Us there...they are curious like little monkeys and will have to learn from their mistakes sometimes ;-)

PJ- I did cio with naptime before I had a babysitter ..when I was alone with the 2 ...jon is such a crier tho..goodness ..he just starts coughing and choking..o its terrible but it works for naps too..so u should give it a go. Now whoever helps me during the day just rocks them a little to calm down and puts them down. Jackie is still in bassinett so I just pat her butt and rock the bass and she fusses but goes to sleep..sometimes when she''s really tired I put her down and she cio for a few mins..her crying is more manageable to deal with than Jon''s (o boy he gets hysterical!! Lol)

DD- so happy just a few days left..hang in there...I know cio will work for Hunter!...I will bring that Secret confidence to u ;-) ...but really I just know it will take a few nites if that..my guess maybe 2 or 3 :)

littlelysser

Brilliant_Rock
Hi ladies! I''m a bad PSer these days! Darn baby take up a lot of time! =)

Things here are going well. Calvin is 7 and 1/2 weeks and he''s a really good baby - I don''t know how I got so lucky! He is going between 5 and 1/2 to 7 hour stretches at night. Which is really nice. He takes on nice morning nap and then cat naps throughout the afternoon. Breast feeding is going well - much better in the last few weeks. Of course, Calvin still has his uber cranskster moments, but overall, he''s awesome. He''s a happy little doodle and really only gets mad when he''s hungry. AND BOY DOES HE GET MAD. And then, as soon as he''s got a boob, he immediately quiets and gets down to business - he looks like a little gremlin or something... The whole process is pretty darn funny.

On a slightly entertaining note, Calvin pooped in his bath last night. And not just a little. It was so gross. DH tried to take him out of the bath and he started pooping MORE. So we had to clean the bath, Calvin and ourselves again. I think it was very traumatic for everyone but Calvin. He didn''t seem to mind at all and I think he rather enjoyed it!

I''m probably going to sound like a dork here, but I still can''t believe how much I love this little guy. I wasn''t someone that wanted to be a mom for my whole life - in fact for a large part of my life, I was pretty sure I didn''t want kids...and although Calvin was totally planned, it was still scary. Well, I can say that I had no idea how much I''d love him and seeing him smile and look forward to him getting up in the morning so we could hang out. Just odd. So yeah. Suffice to say, I''m so glad we decided to have a baby. Sigh.

CC - O IS SO DARN CUTE! I can''t believe how different he looks in the 9 week picture! I am in lurve!!! Oh, and Calvin and O have similar sleep issues. He just doesn''t love to take naps, particular in the afternoon. Not sure what to do about it either...but I''ll totally take a fussy afternoon in exchange for a good night of sleep!

Fiery - I''m sorry about the trip to Singapore. That would be really tough. FWIW, DH and I have good friends there - so if you need any recommendations for what to do, etc, I''d be more than happy to ask them.

Mustang - So sorry about your cousin. That just stinks. I know it may sound silly, but when I think about everything that can go wrong, I feel so lucky to have a happy, healthy baby.

Robbie - I''ve been drinking some Mother''s Milk tea to keep my supply going. I have been pretty happy with it. It doesn''t taste bad and I do think it has increased my supply some. They have it at Whole Foods in Shadyside and I''m sure you could order it online as well.

Sabine - How goes the de-swaddling? Oh, and Calvin is cooing and smiling, but MAN, the worm can turn quickly. He can go from happy as happy can be to SCREAMING. And then smiling again. We''ve even invented a word for it, Smying.

Ebree - I hope you find your wedding ring! Man, that''d be tough. I''m jealous of your regular pooper. Mr. Calvin went EIGHT days without pooping once. Crazy kid.

Blen - Congrats for putting in notice! Yay! And George is a cutie pie!

DD - You are a rockstar for surviving living with your inlaws for a period of more than like 48 hours.

Miracles - I totally notices that odd smell! I was so glad when it went away...Congrats on your grandbaby! My parents live very close to us, and she gets to see Calvin nearly everyday. I''m sure your daughter totally appreciates the support...I know I did, and still do!

Natalina - Definitely meet with an LC. They are great and gave us some great ideas when Calvin wasn''t gaining enough weight. At her suggestion, I started pumping when Calvin was like 5 days old, mostly to get my supply up. We also started supplementing him with formula briefly, at like 5 days...and we had no problems with nipple confusion. He''s been EBF for the past 5 weeks, and now I pump a few times a day, the main purpose being that I am getting a freezer stash of milk going. And now that we have a nice stash, DH can handle one of the feedings in the evening - and it is REALLY nice. We are also giving Cal vitamins and we put the vitamins in an ounce of breast milk. SO really, in my opinion, there is no downside to pumping. Just my 2 cents. Oh, and a friend of mine said something that really hit home...BFing can be less than comfortable at first. Now, I''m not talking about cracked nipples and all that...but as generally, your boobs are going to be sore...mine were pretty uncomfortable the first couple weeks. I guess they just weren''t used to having something sucking on them for 7 hours a day!

PJ - I''m glad CIO worked for you! That''s great! Hope it continues to go well.

Everyone else - HELLO! The boss has woken up from his nap and I must run! Oh, and here''s a quick pictorial taken with my sister''s camera phone which is evidence of how quickly Calvin goes from happy to very very very sad.

First pic: Happy!

happycalvinbaby1.jpg

littlelysser

Brilliant_Rock
And here he is about 5 seconds later.

Sad sad sad:

andthewordhasturned.jpg

ChinaCat

Brilliant_Rock
LYSEER- Aw, he is so cute it kills me! I think Calvin and O are very similar. He naps well in the morning, but is pretty fussy in the afternoon. He really only SCREAMS when he is hungry and I can''t help it but it makes me laugh when he gets so mad. The only thing I don''t do is pump that often. I just hate it. But I need to do it more often and let others feed him, it''s just so much easier for me to do it. But we are supposed to be giving him vitamins and I keep forgetting so putting it in the bottle would be good. And I go back to work Dec 1, so definitely need to start pumping and storing.

DD- I know what you mean about being hard to establish anything while visiting others. I am at my parents house for 2 weeks and my "schedule" has pretty much gone out the window. It''s just too hard and my parents don''t get to see him that often, so if they want to hold him all the time, I let them. But I think we''ve created a monster, he now knows that if he cries, we will hold him. Going to have to break that when we get home, but I figure, they are his grandparents and the can spoil him if they want.

BF- Yes, I definitely had sore days and sore nipples! But not cracked and bleeding, so if they are cracked and bleeding I would call a LC just to be sure there is nothing wrong with the latch.

Ok, so Oliver slept from 9:30-9:45 pm until 7:30 am last night. Is it crazy that this makes me nervous???? He definitely wakes when he''s hungry and he woke up happy, but I kind of panicked when I looked at the clock and saw he slept for like 10 hours.

Mela- When Romy started sleeping longer at night, did he feed more often during the day? O was on a pretty consistent 3 hour schedule, but now he''s sleeping long at night, he eats more like every 2.5 hours. Just curious. He could be having a growth spurt. Also, I know you were doing the schedule thing- what did you do for naps during the day? What is Romy''s schedule during the day?

Blen- George is such a cutie!!!!

MR- Oh I noticed the dead corpse smell for sure. But I have a super sensitive nose. I read about it b/c it freaked me out- the books said it would be an "earthy" smell- well if earthy means rotting, then sure! Ugh. Luckily it went away after a day or two, but come on! After all we go through, we really have to add that on top of it? Do the indignities of childbirth never end?

Sabine, Ebree, Robbie- How are you guys doing?

PenelopeJane

Shiny_Rock
Fiery I looove the new avi!

China so cute! I love the tiny babies. It seems so long ago that Axel was that small.

Mela cool toy!

DD Nov 7 is not far away! Whatever the belief is, the underlying rule is that CIO will work if you are consistent.

Blen kids get bumps and bruises and they learn. There will always be SOMETHING that'll make one feel like a bad mom! Hate to say, but it gets tougher as they get older. DD is 4 and I struggle every day to figure out what "the right thing" to do is. Don't worry, you're a good mom!

nycbk Axel can get pretty hysterical, too! Thanks for chiming in about naps. I think maybe he was still struggling with nap cause I was doing CIO at bedtime and not at naptime so he was getting confused. So this morning I did CIO for his first nap and he's been sleeping for almost 2 hrs. Will continue to be consistent. Glad Jackie is a sweet little fusser and not a screamer like Axel!

littlelysserSOO dang cute! You're not dorky--you sound like a mom who is just in love with her little man! I get so mushy and do the baby talking to Axel ALL THE TIME. I should probably have more control in public, but when he's smiling at me I don't care who's watching or how stupid/goofy I sound! Glad breastfeeding and everything in general is going so well!

Axel cried for only 10 minutes on night #3! Fingers crossed that tonight is THE night he goes down without a peep!

Anyone taking baby to the pumpkin patch??? I'm the ultimate procrastinator and trying to find one this week to take the kids and get pictures.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/25/2009 7:54:08 PM
Author: Blenheim
Thanks girls!

I''ve just felt like a bad mom today.
7.gif
George keeps hurting himself, and I feel like some of it would be preventable if I just had common sense about what is and isn''t safe for babies (George is the first one that I''ve really been around). Like he pulled himself up to standing using the coffee table, then started to bang on the coffee table with both hands (meaning that he wasn''t actually holding on at all), lost his balance, and fell, hitting his head on the corner. And I was just sitting next to him the whole time, without thinking that maybe I should get him away from sharp corners.

Pandora - Would you mind summarizing what the BLW book says about what can be introduced when? We eat a lot of stuff with tomato in it, and I''m just wondering if it''s ok to give that kind of stuff to him now. I gave him just a sip of my chili today and he got very mad at me that I wouldn''t give him any more, and if that''s okay for him to eat it would just be nice to know.
3.gif
I''m really trying to hold off on buying anything right now, but I''m probably going to go ahead and get the book on the other end of the move so that I can quit bugging you.

DD, sorry to hear that it''s been so rough for you. I agree that cosleeping (and being used to it, and having a baby who does well with it) should make the whole sleep situation much easier for us.

PJ - glad that CIO''s working well for you!

China - oh my gosh he''s adorable!!

Natalina - remind me again how old Ellie is? And have you seen an LC yet? I had horrible nipple pain and occasional bleeding nipples for the first 1.5 weeks or so, and had to set myself goals of getting through just one more day, but it got quite a bit better after that. I know that the official word is that if there''s pain then something''s wrong, but it seems like several of us here just had pain while we were getting used to it and nothing was wrong. But then again Mela went waaaay too long with undetected tongue tie. I''d definitely see someone to make sure that the latch is ok and that he doesn''t have tongue tie or other issues if you haven''t already. FWIW, I occasionally get a pain flareup because G decides to clamp down on me
29.gif
and pumping really doesn''t feel much better than nursing when I''m trying to get over a slight injury. I started pumping at 2.5 weeks, and introduced a bottle at 3.5 as BFing was going pretty well for us at that point so I wasn''t as worried about nipple confusion.
Hi Blen,

You can introduce anything you want as and when you feel like it - except NUTS. Ask all the questions you want...
1.gif

LOL on the chili - I gave Daisy a bit of Tom Yum soup the other night and she was crazy for more (and it was a really hot one as well).

Nat - I had major pain, due to their being no milk and her trying so hard to get what wasn''t there, the latch was perfect, but do get an LC to check. We had to introduce formula at 4 days and D was then mix-fed with both bottle, formula, breast, breast milk until 5 weeks since when she is EBF. No nipple confusion or anything of that kind at all. Saved my nipples and my sanity and made BFing something I enjoyed rather than dreaded! If you are going back to work, try and introduce a bottle before 4 weeks, so many people I know have a nightmare where the baby refuses to take a bottle. Introduce it early even if it''s just for a couple of feeds and they won''t reject it later.

We took Daisy away to see her cousin (5 weeks) and SMIL''s grand-daughter which was fun. Took her in swimming for the first time and she loved it - just wish she wouldn''t try and drink the water...
20.gif
She also played her first poker tournament - tried to eat both cards and chips, hey ho...

In other news, I am eternally grateful to Dr Sears. Daisy is now sleeping from 8pm to 8am - I''ll go in and feed her at 10pm, then at midnight/1am when I go to bed and then she feeds herself twice during the night (I think) without waking me up. She goes down to bed and all naps smiling and with barely a squeak. I can''t believe this will last. When we first started 100% bedsharing she wanted to eat all night, but now that she knows she can she doesn''t seem to need to - I''ll offer if I wake up to turn over or something and she just pushes it away. I wish I''d started AP right from the start.

E B

Ideal_Rock
Blen- George is such a cutie. And starting on veggies early is great!

natalina- I also experienced pain in the beginning even with a great latch. Our pediatrician, an LC, reminded me that we're not used to having someone at our nipples all the time, so there WILL be an 'adjustment' for almost everyone. Good for you for hanging on- it gets easier!

China- Oliver is such a doll! Love the Longhorns jersey. I wasn't one myself, but I come from a family of 'horns.
9.gif

LL- He's absolutely precious. I know just how you feel about being SO in love. Unfortunately, I haven't found my ring.
39.gif
But my new one should be ready in a week and a half, I think.

Penelope- Fingers crossed tonight is a peep-less night!

Pandora- I'm glad co-sleeping is working for you! We're going to transition Henry from the co-sleeper to the bed as soon as he's too big for it, which I'm guessing will be right around 7 months or so.

Here's my little monkey at four months (~1 week ago). We've done the 'pose next to a stuffed animal' thing since month one and it's so cool to see the changes. As you can see, he lost quite a bit of the hair he had at birth, but it's growing back!
10.gif

henry1-4months.jpg

lili

Ideal_Rock
awww....so many cute little boys on here
30.gif
30.gif

they are all growing so fast.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/26/2009 3:14:18 PM
Author: lili
awww....so many cute little boys on here
30.gif
30.gif

they are all growing so fast.
Ditto, all the babies are adorable. Where is the time flying???

sunkist

Ideal_Rock
Hi new mommies!! Oh my gosh Ebree, he too cute!

Question re: breastfeeding. I''m planning on BF, but I don''t know if I need to still have bottles and formula on hand at home. Should I wait till after baby is born and see how things are going? I''m not sure I want to pump, although I''ve heard a lot of ladies say I "have" to pump so I can have some free time and let hubby feed him. But I figured if I become interested in pumping I can rent from the hospital for a while to see how I like it. Still should I have bottles on hand at home to be prepared??

Thanks so much ladies! :)

mela lu

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/26/2009 11:27:57 AM
Author: ChinaCat
Mela- When Romy started sleeping longer at night, did he feed more often during the day? O was on a pretty consistent 3 hour schedule, but now he''s sleeping long at night, he eats more like every 2.5 hours. Just curious. He could be having a growth spurt. Also, I know you were doing the schedule thing- what did you do for naps during the day? What is Romy''s schedule during the day?
china - when Romy started sttn, i noticed that he had a really tough time going 3 hrs between his first and second feeding. That one was more like 2.5 hrs, but the rest of the day seemed to level back out at 3 hrs.

His tried and true schedule during the day was:

7am - wake up & eat
7am - 8am - activity
8am - nap #1 (1 hour)
10am - eat
11am - nap #2 (1 hour)
1pm - eat
2pm - nap #3 (45 mins)
4pm - eat
*sometimes there was a "nod off" nap around 4-5ish)
6pm - bath
6:15 - eat
7pm - asleep for 12 hours

Sadly, our beloved schedule has been turned up-side down since he''s now decided to wake up at 6am, and proceed to fall asleep on the boob and sleep until 9am?! WTF! I''m actually now changing him to eating every 4 hours, so I figure we''ll work out our new schedule together. Stay tuned!

Pandora - it always astounded me that Daisy and Romeo are merely weeks apart, since they are SO different in development. Romeo is still oblivious to our food, and every time I''ve put something in his mouth to taste, he either doesnt notice, or else he squirles up his face and doesnt like it. Oh well, all in good time I suppose.

Little L - I feel the same way. My love knows no boundaries. It overwhelems me.
2.gif

DD - Hunter is going to do GREAT. Its not "if" but "when" and that WHEN starts Nov 7th
36.gif
. Wahoooo!! Also, you are a strong woman for surviving living with your ILs. I would last, oh 5 mins with mine. haha.

I haven''t posted a pic in a while. Here is the little man in his "uggs" trying to sit up in the car seat.
Ebree - H is gorgeous! wow.

uggs.jpg

Blenheim

Ideal_Rock
Thanks ladies.
1.gif

Ebree, Henry is gorgeous!

Mela, OMG... his boots. Love it!

PenelopeJane - I hadn''t thought of taking George to the pumpkin patch, but that''s a really cute idea! We''re just so busy right now. If I find some spare time, I may.

Pandora - thanks!!! I guess I can let him have chili after all. He''ll be ecstatic. And isn''t cosleeping just great!?

Sunkist - I''d wait until after baby is born. The reason why formula companies give free samples of formula to pregnant women and new mothers is that they''ve found that just having formula in the house makes you much more likely to use it. And if you run into a situation where you really do need some formula, there should be some pharmacy near you that''s open 24/7. If you''re having latch problems and need to get some milk into the baby, you can spoon feed them milk- that''s what we did (we had bottles but didn''t want nipple confusion). Their tummies are so small when they''re born that spoon feeding works much better than it sounds like it would.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results