shape
carat
color
clarity

PS Mommy Thread-Newborn to 12 months!

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
Good luck to your DH on the job issues Blen! Something should come through soon!

nycbkgirl

Brilliant_Rock
cant catch up aggain...now jon is sick
7.gif
....he is hardly sleeping, coughing n sneezing all over..poor kid....i finally had that moment when im like plz just give me all of their pain...never want them to suffer..not even a cold!..urgh hoping it goes away soooon...dont remember any suggestions for dealing with cough n stufy nose>>?

Blen- i hope everything works out!..so u would be a sahm?..thats great!

Mela- omggg he is just such a casanova already! his style is very reflective of his mamma
16.gif

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
Mela-He''s so adorable! Is his hair getting lighter??

Blen-I hope everything works out for you guys. It would be awesome if you get to SAH!

NYC-Poor Jon =( I hope he feels better soon.

Sophia had her 4 week checkup (she''s one month tomorrow!). She weighted 7lbs2oz when she was born and as of today weighs 9lbs4oz. I guess she''s getting enough milk
3.gif
. I knew she had to have gotten bigger because its getting harder to carry the carseat up the stairs.

A quick question: For those that tummy sleep, when did you start doing that? Sophia prefers sleeping on her tummy or on her side. During the day I use the sleep positioner to put her on her side but at night we swaddle and she sleeps on her back which she hates.

Here''s a pic of her sleeping (and her oversized pjs). She thinks she''s a grownup.
37.gif

5532_536755236604_56302145_31970773_139370_n.jpg

nycbkgirl

Brilliant_Rock
hehehe sophia! cutie...my kids slept on tummy from about 2 mos..i suggest getting a monitor and just letting them do whats comfy for them bc i just went with the flow...as soon as i knew they can turn their heads..i wasnt worried.

Blenheim

Ideal_Rock
He didn''t get the job that we wanted him to get.
7.gif
Also no word yet on what position he''d be coming back to with his old workplace, or what the salary would be. In order to afford me SAHM with our current mortgage payment, he''d need to get a raise or I''d need to get a part time job. There''s a baby store near me that allows employees to take their kids to work with them... I''m thinking about asking if they have any openings. We''re both feeling very blaaah right now. The crazy part of me just wants to move to VA without any jobs and trust that it will sort itself out (we have family there who we could stay with short term), but at least I know that part of me is cuckoo.
5.gif

lili

Ideal_Rock
nyc--
sorry to hear that Jon is sick.
hope he feels better soon.

fiery--
Sophia is a doll!
30.gif

Hehe, J slept like that too. She always ended up w/ her head propped on her arms no matter how I put her.
I let J sleep on her tummy during the day when I''m awake to monitor her.
When she was able to able to roll back and forth, I let her sleeps on her tummy at night sometimes.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Blen so sorry to hear about DH''s job.
7.gif

I''m sure something great is on the horizon for your family.

mela lu

Ideal_Rock
Oh #@%$ Blen. So sorry to hear that.
Keep the faith, Bon Jovi.
17.gif
This will work itself out.

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
I''m sorry Beln! Hopefully a job with your husband''s old employer will work out. PT work for you might also be interesting, at least you''d get out of the house some, and being able to take George with you would be fun!

Fiery - she''s cute! I love the head prop!

In sleeping news, Kyle went 11 hours Friday night! We put him down at 8:30pm, he made a little bit of noise at 5am, but didn''t actually wake up until 7:30am! Too bad DH and I got up at 6am and couldn''t sleep anymore
14.gif

Mrs

Shiny_Rock
happy sunday mamas.

TDM, have you started the solids? how''s that going? I''m waiting a little onger to introduce them.

sbde, Sage was born with several birthmarks on her face and they have all faded. I''m sorry J''s is worrisome to you!

Mgal, are you feeling better?

Mela, that picture of Romy is so cute! love it!

Blen, I''m sorry about that job opportunity not coming through for DH. I hope that the other one that came up last week with his old company works out!

nycb, I hope Jon''s feeling better!

fiery, Sophia is adorable! Good work on the milk front - She''s growing like a champ thanks to you! re: tummy sleep. Sage still sleeps on her back though she often rolls to her side but I''ve no experience with tummy sleep yet.

We''re doing fine here. Sage only woke up once last night which was great. DH and I have been talking about possibly moving. We love the weather here in SoCal but we know that weather isn''t everything and it would be really nice to be closer to family... we decided to stay here when DH lost his job since I had one but now that I lost mine and am thinking about staying home, we wonder if it would make sense for DH to look for another opportunity in a less expensive area closer to family. Lots to think about... we''ll see.

I hope you''re all doing well!
Mrs

mela lu

Ideal_Rock
gosh. There is so much movement amongst the mommies here. With Neat and DD moving, Mrs and Blen at crossroads - wow!

Fingers crossed for y''all!

Fiery - love her!

Blenheim

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the sympathy, girls. The problem with the current situation is that we''re homesick and that DH hates the former/current job. He''s put in some calls to contacts he knows and it seems very likely that he will get promoted and get a raise, but the job is a 45 min commute each way and they not infrequently have him work 14 hr days, 7 days a week, and it would be nice if he could see George and me occasionally. And some of the higher level bosses are less than stellar. Well. After a bunch of talking, and bouncing ideas off of our parents using actual numbers (which we''ve never done before), we have a plan. And it''s cuckoo.
3.gif
DH is going back to work but will continue to look for jobs near our families. I''m going to continue working (boo) and we are going to save up as much money as possible. DH''s mom just got in this morning and is staying a week, and then my mom is coming up next week to watch George as we look for childcare and get a ton done around the house. And, hopefully within a month, we''re going to put the house on the market and see what happens. And if/when it sells, we''re both going to put in our 2 weeks notice and just move to our families, jobs lined up or not. DH''s parents have an extra bedroom and have volunteered that they would be fine if we just moved in with them until we find something. We believe them - my FIL has said before that if he ever won the lottery, he''d like nothing more than to buy a commune for all of his family to stay together. If we pay for our own groceries, an individual health care plan, our car insurance, our share of utilities, etc etc, then we currently have enough in savings that we can live off of it for about 18 months. And if we make anything off of the sale of the house (which our realtor thinks is very likely, even after her fees) and/or manage to bank even more of our incomes before the house sells, then we''d be able to go even longer. The job market there is much much better than here, and DH has gotten a lot more interest there but it''s harder applying for jobs when you''re out of town. We figure that one of us should be able to find something within that time frame.

Mrs - good luck making a decision, too! I think you may be able to guess what my vote is.
2.gif

fisherofmengirly

Ideal_Rock
Question for the mommies here: Mesh feeders (a paci with a mesh bag attached)-- I saw a mother with one of these at the pool and I was curious as to what it was, and after a little googling, I found the name, but now I''m curious as to the purpose of this. Does it encourage eating of foods sooner? Is it for babies that aren''t getting enough from their milk/formula? Is it a way to feed babies without doing the spoon feeding? I ask because if it''s the last reason, I thought learning to eat off a spoon was an important milestone for self-feeding later. I also wonder what the age for the mesh feeders is because the bag looked pretty big to me and it seemed like a baby could choke on that being in their mouth. From my lurking here, I''ve not remembered and posts about them, and thought I''d see if any of you have any information on them.

(cute pics of all the babies, as always)

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/2/2009 5:23:13 PM
Author: fisherofmengirly
Question for the mommies here: Mesh feeders (a paci with a mesh bag attached)-- I saw a mother with one of these at the pool and I was curious as to what it was, and after a little googling, I found the name, but now I''m curious as to the purpose of this. Does it encourage eating of foods sooner? Is it for babies that aren''t getting enough from their milk/formula? Is it a way to feed babies without doing the spoon feeding? I ask because if it''s the last reason, I thought learning to eat off a spoon was an important milestone for self-feeding later. I also wonder what the age for the mesh feeders is because the bag looked pretty big to me and it seemed like a baby could choke on that being in their mouth. From my lurking here, I''ve not remembered and posts about them, and thought I''d see if any of you have any information on them.

JMO but I think they are pretty stupid. Another marketing gimmick to get moms to buy more stuff they don''t need...

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock

Here a lot of my friends with babies use them when they are teething - they fill it with banana or strawberries and then put it in the freezer. The baby can then suck on it.

Babies are less likely to choke on big things than small things. DH and I plan to give Daisy proper food from 6 months rather than baby-food, so she''ll be getting big pieces of brocolli, steak ''fingers'', bones to gnaw on etc that she can hold in her hand and control. I''ll continue to breast-feed as long as possible, but as she eats more solid food, she should wean herself - the concept is called Baby Led Weaning.

nycbkgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Blen- sux
8.gif
but im sure u will find ur way and everything will work out in the end!!

so jon is roughly sleeping about 8 hrs a nite now and is doing better...they both got better within 3 days so i consider that a success...it was NOT fun ...nose is still stuffy so i still use the saline (he cries bloody murder but i have to do it) and i gave them steam sessions in the bathroom..i rubbed the body rub from BRU..looove it bc its all natural..has all the essential oils and vaseline..i will use it everyday after a bath on the chest....so our routine in the evenings is still the same...no sleep after 7pm, eat, play, bathe, eat (on the rocker, lights dim, sound machine on)...works everytime,....last nite he was so tired it was torture trying to eat lol.

Fisher- i plan to try those mesh thingies bc they can suck on real food like pandora described...but not all babies like them so we shall see

puffy

Brilliant_Rock
pandora i don''t mean to sound like a know it all or anything like that, but it usually takes infants a while to learn to have control over their jaw movement, or enough control for them to "chew" food. and usually that is why if you make your own food, you are told to puree food well when they first start off, and when you buy baby food, you usually start at stage 1 where there are no chunks of food. and it also will take her some practice to hold the food in her hand and control it to bring it to her mouth. also just watch out for the texture as well, as they are not used to the texture of food. just an FYI, in case you didn''t already know.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/3/2009 4:56:57 AM
Author: Pandora II

Here a lot of my friends with babies use them when they are teething - they fill it with banana or strawberries and then put it in the freezer. The baby can then suck on it.

Babies are less likely to choke on big things than small things. DH and I plan to give Daisy proper food from 6 months rather than baby-food, so she''ll be getting big pieces of brocolli, steak ''fingers'', bones to gnaw on etc that she can hold in her hand and control. I''ll continue to breast-feed as long as possible, but as she eats more solid food, she should wean herself - the concept is called Baby Led Weaning.
Oh god, I hope your kid is nothing like mine. For some crazy reason, she could would not put ANY food (or thing) to her mouth until she was a year old. Talk about things not going as planned!!
40.gif

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
I have some of the food bag things, just haven''t broken them out yet. I''ve had other moms mention the frozen fruit idea for teething, which we plan to try once he''s been introduced to all the fruits. Kyle also can''t really control getting a toy all the way to his mouth at times, but does help "hold" the spoon
3.gif
, and then shove it halfway down his throat!

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
My poor sitter is having a horrible time getting her baby out! She''s only 36.5 weeks, but she''s had contractions about every 10 minutes since Friday. She''s been to 2 hospitals, admitted once and stuck in the waiting room a few times. Then they kicked her out when she refused to take a vicodin and an ambien! They told her it would help her relax and get some sleep through the contractions. She walked out and went home. She''s at her doc now, seeing what they want to do.

I would think vicodin and ambien would be bad for the baby, maybe I''m wrong?

Mrs

Shiny_Rock
Mgal, I''m sorry to hear about your sister''s trouble! I would think that those drugs wouldn''t be so good for the baby too... I hope she and the baby are doing okay now!

Pandora, I''ve been reading about Baby Led Weaning( BLW) and am tempted to try it as well. I guess it''s a somewhat controversial subject and certainly not for every baby since, as puffy expressed, some feel that babies aren''t prepared to have solids introduced without starting them on softer food and like tgal suggested, not all babies will even put things in their mouths. Do you have friends who have used BLW and if so, how has it gone for them?

Blen, your plan sounds great and well thought out! I''m so excited for you to be able to look forward to being near family! And I''m a little envious that you''ve decided to take the plunge. We''re not quite there yet but who knows what the future hold for us.... we''ll see!

nycb, I''m so glad the twins are feeling better!

fisher, I''ve no experience with mesh feeders but am inclined not to try them. sorry I can''t be ore helpful!

All''s well here. nothing to report. Sleeping and nappy are going great today. Hope you''re all well!

Mrs

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/3/2009 7:20:15 PM
Author: Mrs
Pandora, I''ve been reading about Baby Led Weaning( BLW) and am tempted to try it as well. I guess it''s a somewhat controversial subject and certainly not for every baby since, as puffy expressed, some feel that babies aren''t prepared to have solids introduced without starting them on softer food and like tgal suggested, not all babies will even put things in their mouths. Do you have friends who have used BLW and if so, how has it gone for them?

I''ve got to be honest-I have NEVER seen a 6 month old baby willing and ready for anything but mush...and I''ve been around a lot of babies in my time. So I am very curious to hear about real life kids who went straight to real foods at 6 months? Doesn''t seem possible to me.

That being said I do think it''s very possible to skip the pureed food stage and go straight to solids...but I doubt it would happen anywhere near 6 months IMO. My boys have progressed very readily towards liking more "real" foods but they are still nowhere near getting nutrition from them. They just like to chew and suck on things but almost all of it is still left at the end of mealtime!

mela lu

Ideal_Rock
Updates!

1. Thank you cards are done. BOOYAH.
36.gif

2. Romy took his first bottle today (breast milk) - this will help for the upcoming weddings
3. My neighbor gave me a bouncy chair that he actually likes, so maybe now he can finally nap. He averages about 20 mins per nap these days in his crib. BRUTAL.
________

I was given one of those mesh bags but didn''t know what to do with it! lol. Meh. Don''t know how I feel about it. Looks like one more thing to wash to me
14.gif

Mgal - whoa about your sissy-pops! Hope she finds the "right" doctor and her baby is ok!

K. 10pm. Its way passed my bedtime. Ciao!

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock

Blen - I forgot to comment earlier. Good luck with your plan, I don''t think you''re crazy at all! I wish DH and I could go back to Palm Springs where both our families live. The biggest issue I think you''ll have is health care. Make sure to research that well, and in the new location. COBRA might be an option for a while if its not too expensive too.

Kyle also discovered that he can get his toes in his mouth yesterday. I caught it on video, but didn''t get any pics. It''s not a habit I want to continue though!

I never started a pic log of Kyle with a stuffed animal like some of you did (now I regret it), but here he is at 5.5 months old next to the outfit he wore home from the hospital. And you can see my designer Wal Mart crib bedding too

3.gif

PJs 010.jpg

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/3/2009 9:47:50 PM
Author: neatfreak

I''ve got to be honest-I have NEVER seen a 6 month old baby willing and ready for anything but mush...and I''ve been around a lot of babies in my time. So I am very curious to hear about real life kids who went straight to real foods at 6 months? Doesn''t seem possible to me.

That being said I do think it''s very possible to skip the pureed food stage and go straight to solids...but I doubt it would happen anywhere near 6 months IMO. My boys have progressed very readily towards liking more ''real'' foods but they are still nowhere near getting nutrition from them. They just like to chew and suck on things but almost all of it is still left at the end of mealtime!
I think it''s an interesting concept and what''s the harm of trying it under supervision? I would assume Pandora would talk to her ped about it.

My kid hated baby food. Was never a fan. So we pretty well skipped stage 2 altogether. So maybe some babies can deal with this method better, especially if they are prone to chewing on things.

I had to take my kid to therapy to get her to put food in her mouth. At one year old, she finally did. She''s hugely cautious by nature - with EVERYTHING.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/3/2009 11:10:16 PM
Author: TravelingGal

That being said I do think it''s very possible to skip the pureed food stage and go straight to solids...but I doubt it would happen anywhere near 6 months IMO. My boys have progressed very readily towards liking more ''real'' foods but they are still nowhere near getting nutrition from them. They just like to chew and suck on things but almost all of it is still left at the end of mealtime!
I think it''s an interesting concept and what''s the harm of trying it under supervision? I would assume Pandora would talk to her ped about it.

My kid hated baby food. Was never a fan. So we pretty well skipped stage 2 altogether. So maybe some babies can deal with this method better, especially if they are prone to chewing on things.

I had to take my kid to therapy to get her to put food in her mouth. At one year old, she finally did. She''s hugely cautious by nature - with EVERYTHING.

Oh I totally think there is no harm in trying. Just that it seems a bit unrealistic to me to expect 6 month old kids to eat real foods! I am picturing one of my kids gnawing on a chicken leg or something-ain''t gonna happen even at almost 8 months!
3.gif

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/4/2009 12:17:14 AM

Date: 8/3/2009 11:10:16 PM
Author: TravelingGal

Oh I totally think there is no harm in trying. Just that it seems a bit unrealistic to me to expect 6 month old kids to eat real foods! I am picturing one of my kids gnawing on a chicken leg or something-ain''t gonna happen even at almost 8 months!
3.gif
Mine STILL won''t do it!!
20.gif

nycbkgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/3/2009 10:02:15 PM
Author: MustangGal

Blen - I forgot to comment earlier. Good luck with your plan, I don''t think you''re crazy at all! I wish DH and I could go back to Palm Springs where both our families live. The biggest issue I think you''ll have is health care. Make sure to research that well, and in the new location. COBRA might be an option for a while if its not too expensive too.

Kyle also discovered that he can get his toes in his mouth yesterday. I caught it on video, but didn''t get any pics. It''s not a habit I want to continue though!

I never started a pic log of Kyle with a stuffed animal like some of you did (now I regret it), but here he is at 5.5 months old next to the outfit he wore home from the hospital. And you can see my designer Wal Mart crib bedding too

3.gif

omg that is so freakn cute! and i looooove the bedding!! (we dont have walmart anywhere near here
8.gif
)....i think i will steal ur idea and take some comparison pics
9.gif

Courtneylub

Brilliant_Rock

I started my period this morning.

8.gif

Any other moms that are nursing start theirs yet?

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
That sucks courtney
14.gif
. I stopped nursing at 5 weeks, and got my first period amout 3 months pp.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results