shape
carat
color
clarity

Props to McCain

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ladypirate

Ideal_Rock
Pulled this from Lannie on the Dem thread:

Linky!

Just wanted to say good for him! I think that was a really honorable thing to do.

(See? I can say nice things about the other candidate!
2.gif
)

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good for McCain! I''m so pleased to see this!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

vintagecushion

Shiny_Rock
Hello,

I just read this too. I know his motives will be questioned but regardless of his reasons I applaud the step.

Anna0499

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the link ladypirate. I''m glad a person from "the other side" posted this.
35.gif

luckystar112

Ideal_Rock
That is great news.
Judging by the comments on the article it appears that isn''t good enough though.
7.gif

Darned if you do, darned if you don''t. At least some of us can give credit where credit is do!
21.gif

mimzy

Brilliant_Rock
i think it''s great that he stood up to those people....

think he''ll pull his ads that made people think he is a terrorist to begin with though?

ladypirate

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/10/2008 7:22:02 PM
Author: mimzy

think he''ll pull his ads that made people think he is a terrorist to begin with though?

I hope so. Maybe he''s starting to realize that the negative campaigning is really not going over well with undecided voters and will switch to a more honorable ad campaign? It''d sure be nice.

MoonWater

Ideal_Rock
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

Kudos McCain.

galeteia

Brilliant_Rock
I just gained respect for McCain.

It''s about time he stood up to the wackos who are giving the intelligent conservatives a bad name.

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Mimzy, I hope so. But, even if he doesn''t pull the ads, I think he''s still made a big step in the right direction by putting the crazies in check.

BTW, I love your new avatar!
21.gif

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/10/2008 7:21:21 PM
Author: luckystar112
At least some of us can give credit where credit is do!
21.gif
*cough* due *cough*
11.gif
Eh I couldn''t resist. But I am ashamed of myself. In advance.
3.gif

luckystar112

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/10/2008 7:38:44 PM
Author: decodelighted

21.gif
*cough* due *cough*
11.gif
Eh I couldn't resist. But I am ashamed of myself. In advance.
3.gif
Errrrrr!!!! What is wrong with me today! lol

ETA: I wouldn't be able to resist either, it's okay.
21.gif

MoonWater

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/10/2008 7:40:45 PM

21.gif
*cough* due *cough*
11.gif
3.gif

ETA: I wouldn''t be able to resist either, it''s okay.
21.gif
Well I due that kinda stuff all the time, so I never care lol

(yes that was intentional that time)

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
These are my favorite parts:

"McCain replies, "Well, I don''t want him to be president, either. I wouldn''t be running if I did. But," and he pauses for emphasis, "you don''t have to be scared to have him be President of the United States." A round of boos

&

UPDATE: Indeed, he just snatched the microphone out the hands of a woman who began her question with, "I''m scared of Barack Obama... he''s an Arab terrorist..."

"No, no ma''am," he interrupted. "He''s a decent family man with whom I happen to have some disagreements."

Heh. McCain seems to have more respect for & less fear of Obama than many of the Republicans on Pricescope.
1.gif

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/10/2008 7:40:45 PM
21.gif
*cough* due *cough*
11.gif
3.gif
ETA: I wouldn''t be able to resist either, it''s okay.
21.gif
9.gif
Common ground! At last!
2.gif
Glad you saw it was meant in breezy jest rather than rage!
1.gif

E B

Ideal_Rock
Good for McCain and all, but I continue to be terrified of those who believe things like this...

Indeed, he just snatched the microphone out the hands of a woman who began her question with, "I'm scared of Barack Obama... he's an Arab terrorist..."

There are no words for that kind of willful ignorance.

MoonWater

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/10/2008 7:54:03 PM
Author: Lannie
Just to add, here''s a youtube link that shows the last part of that article. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRq6Y4NmB6U
Homegirl didn''t seem all that right in the head.

woman: He''s not..he''s not...he''s a uh...he''s an Arab. (and she didn''t seem sure)
*McCain shakes head no*
woman: No?

Poor thing, I almost felt sorry for her.

E B

Ideal_Rock
After watching that video, Moon, I did too!
15.gif

mimzy

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/10/2008 7:27:36 PM
Author: Irishgrrrl

Mimzy, I hope so. But, even if he doesn''t pull the ads, I think he''s still made a big step in the right direction by putting the crazies in check.

BTW, I love your new avatar!
21.gif

i hope so too. and i agree, it is a step....

and thanks!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
<---in shock.

brazen_irish_hussy

Ideal_Rock
Finally. This is the McCain I liked before 2004 when he sold out to the party, this is the McCain that I respected and wanted to do well in 2000.

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
Ditto!! Now this is the former McCain I know and love. Where the heck has he been? Maybe he is finally getting sick and tired of being the puppet of the political machinery. Good for you McCain. I hope he keeps it up and I hope it isn''t agenda driven.

MaggieB

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/10/2008 9:50:43 PM
Author: brazen_irish_hussy
Finally. This is the McCain I liked before 2004 when he sold out to the party, this is the McCain that I respected and wanted to do well in 2000.
EXACTLY! As I was saying to my Republican fiance today, the thing that really kills me is that this is a great man who used to have a tremendous reputation and respect at LEAST among moderate Democrats. I did not want to see him go down in the flames of hate mongering. But - win or lose - I have enough respect for McCain that I would hope he ends his campaign with his reputation intact. I''m so happy to see the return of the man and not the politician!

galeteia

Brilliant_Rock
Despite this gesture, his campaign still released another "ZOMG OBAMA LURVES TERRISTS" ad today. If this denunciation is more than just political grandstanding, I want to see action to back up his words.

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
Well, I''m glad he corrected this woman that in fact Obama is not an Arab, but since when is being an Arab and a "decent family man" mutually exclusive?

trillionaire

Ideal_Rock
LOL, now if we can just get Palin on board!
36.gif

swimmer

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/10/2008 11:29:03 PM
Author: Demelza
Well, I''m glad he corrected this woman that in fact Obama is not an Arab, but since when is being an Arab and a ''decent family man'' mutually exclusive?

Exactly! The correct response would have been, "My friend, you are mistaken, Senator Obama is a good Christian." I am no fan of mixing religion and politics, but McCain should have done it there to dispell inaccuracies. There are millions of good Muslim men around the world who are good family men, this was a central component to Mohammed''s teachings. Paradoxically, the comment was a slap in the face to Muslims, but, perhaps a step in the right direction for McCain. Previously his response would have been to smile and nod in agreement.

McCain''s mixed message in the NYT
link

I bet AGBF posts Times articles because you have to login to read, smart lady, just the first 1/4th of article:

LAKEVILLE, Minn. — After a week of trying to portray Senator Barack Obama as a friend of terrorists who would drive the country into bankruptcy, Senator John McCain abruptly changed his tone on Friday and told voters at a town-hall-style meeting that Mr. Obama was “a decent person” and a “family man” and suggested that he would be an acceptable president should he win the White House.

But moments later, Mr. McCain, the Republican nominee, renewed his attacks on Mr. Obama for his association with the 1960s radical William Ayers and told the crowd, “Mr. Obama’s political career was launched in Mr. Ayers’ living room.”

The dizzying statements came on a confused day when Mr. McCain’s campaign pounded Mr. Obama as a “liar” in an incendiary television commercial about Mr. Ayers and as Mr. McCain abruptly announced another economic policy proposal, this time a plan to suspend mandatory withdrawals from 401(k) retirement accounts.

The events reflected Mr. McCain’s frequently lurching campaign. For the past several weeks, as the polls have shown Mr. Obama, the Democratic nominee, gaining increasing ground, Mr. McCain’s traveling road show has veered from message to message and from pumping up hostile crowds to trying to calm them down. Each news cycle seem to bring another tactic as the campaign appears to be trying anything and everything to see what might work.

His temporary embrace of Mr. Obama came as Mr. McCain was repeatedly implored by voters at the town-hall-style meeting to “fight back” against Mr. Obama at the next presidential debate, on Wednesday, and to stop him from becoming president. But unlike at an earlier town-hall-style meeting this week in Wisconsin, where Mr. McCain sharply agreed with voters who urged him to punch back, this time he drew a line.

When a man told him he was “scared” of an Obama presidency, Mr. McCain replied, “I want to be president of the United States and obviously I do not want Senator Obama to be, but I have to tell you — I have to tell you — he is a decent person and a person that you do not have to be scared of as president of the United States.” The crowd booed loudly at Mr. McCain’s response.

Later, a woman stood up at the meeting, held at Lakeville South High School in a far suburb of Minneapolis, and told Mr. McCain that she could not trust Mr. Obama because he was an “Arab.”

Mr. McCain replied: “No, ma’am, he’s a decent family man, a citizen, who I just happen to have disagreements with on fundamental issues. And that’s what this campaign is all about.” At that, the crowd applauded.

Mr. McCain and his campaign have been harshly criticized this week by Mr. Obama, Democrats, some Republicans and a number of columnists, commentators and editorial writers for stoking angry crowds at rallies, particularly those in which Mr. McCain appears with his running mate, Gov. Sarah Palin of Alaska.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/10/2008 11:21:36 PM
Author: MaggieB

Date: 10/10/2008 9:50:43 PM
Author: brazen_irish_hussy
EXACTLY! As I was saying to my Republican fiance today, the thing that really kills me is that this is a great man who used to have a tremendous reputation and respect at LEAST among moderate Democrats. I did not want to see him go down in the flames of hate mongering. But - win or lose - I have enough respect for McCain that I would hope he ends his campaign with his reputation intact. I''m so happy to see the return of the man and not the politician!
Sorry, I''m not giving him kudos for any of this. To create this Frankenstein monster of hate he seems intent on creating and then go "Uh oh...um...sorry" at the 11th hour doesn''t impress me at all. So he figured it out. Big deal. It''s a scorched earth tactic of desperation and who is going to pick up the pieces and heal the wounds when the dust settles? To stoke the fires of polarization right now is the lowest tactic I can think of. He could have shown leadership from the start and "led" his supporters to a more reasoned and calm tone, but he did not. My respect for him dies a more certain death with every passing day.

MoonWater

Ideal_Rock
I was giving him the benefit of the doubt but on the same day you have this: http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/archive/2008/10/10/1529529.aspx

From NBC's Mark Murray
Earlier today, Obama remarked on recent outbursts of "Traitor!" "Terrorist!" and "Kill him!" at McCain campaign events. "It's easy to rile up a crowd," Obama said. "Nothing's easier than riling up a crowd by stoking anger and division. But that's not what we need right now in the United States."

In response, McCain senior adviser Nicolle Wallace released this statement, NBC's Kelly O'Donnell reports. "Barack Obama's assault on our supporters is insulting and unsurprising. These are the same people obama called 'bitter' and attacked for 'clinging to guns' and faith. He fails to understand that people are angry at corrupt practices in Washington and Wall Street and he fails to understand that America's working families are not 'clinging' to anything other than the sincere hope that Washington will be reformed from top to bottom."

"Attacking our supporters is a new low for the campaign that's run more millions of dollars of negative ads than any other in history."

*** UPDATE *** McCain campaign spokesman Brian Rogers adds in another statement: “Barack Obama’s attacks on Americans who support John McCain reveal far more about him than they do about John McCain. It is clear that Barack Obama just doesn’t understand regular people and the issues they care about. He dismisses hardworking middle class Americans as clinging to guns and religion, while at the same time attacking average Americans at McCain rallies who are angry at Washington, Wall Street and the status quo."

Yup, he doesn't care about "regular" people and what they care about. If those things are regular people, ewwww, I am a freaking elitist for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results