shape
carat
color
clarity

proprietary round cuts and standardized cut grading

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Fusion238

Rough_Rock
First, hello to all. I have been reading this forum avidly for the past few weeks as I am on the hunt for an engagement diamond/ring. I can''t thank all of the frequent contributors enough . . . I have learned so much from your posts. Keep up the good work!
Now for my question. I was first on the hunt for an oval diamond, but I have become very discouraged by what I have seen of fancy shapes and their unpredictable optical properties. I have now settled on getting a round stone. My problem is that I cannot decide between a "superideal" proprietary modified-round cut (like Solasfera and Eighternity) and a traditional premium H&A stone (like SuperbCert and A Cut Above).
I would appreciate your opinions on whether you think the proprietary modified cuts with extra facets will go out of favor and lose value over time as compared to traditional 57/58 faceted stones as cut grading becomes more standardized.
To give you a little more information about my situation, my favorite "modified" cut from what I have read is the Solasfera. Also, I plan to mount the stone in the Michael Beaudry ring shown below (but with platinum replacing the yellow gold pieces). I realize that beauty is in the eye of the beholder and that I would need to compare stones side-by-side to really choose, but I''m just wondering about the market value of the stone over time.
I look forward to reading your opinions and input!

beaudry.jpg

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
there is a reason that the tradtional faceted diamond has remained the strong favorite. i don''t think that will change anytime soon.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 8/30/2005 10:09:17 PM
Author: belle
there is a reason that the tradtional faceted diamond has remained the strong favorite. i don''t think that will change anytime soon.
The reason is we Cut Nuts have analysed the poor round things to bits.

But after the Cut Group is done with its games - there will be hundreds of new cuts coming to market each year. Any good new cut today (and it seems the Sol. is one, although I have not seen one personally) will also be able to earn their place with the cut grading systems of the future.

All the lousy cuts, with heaps of hype, will die and probably need recutting to re-sell. unforhuanetly most of the last 5 years new cuts are lousy.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
There are vendors here selling wonderful proprietary cuts along with traditional cut rounds. Dealers in the know are able to provide beautiful diamonds of both sorts. There are many other proprietary cuts that are nothing special, as Garry told you, but good dealers don''t fool with them. Most of those are sold by mass marketers, not high end stores or Internet dealers.

Don''t get confused about resale when you are buying a gift. It just isn''t worth worrying over the liquidation value of a diamond in the larger scheme of things. Just buy the best one you can afford and don''t count the beans. If it ever needs to be sold, then whatever you get will either suit you or make you disappointed. It may never happen and there is nothing you can do now to make it different. Just know that most people who need to sell a luxury item take a huge hit financially to get it sold when they no longer want to own it. It isn''t just diamonds, but all luxury items are pretty much the same. For years, real estate has been the king of investments. Who knows about next week or next year? Laissez les bon temps roulez, as they once said before New Orleans became a swamp......

Iiro

Shiny_Rock
Date: 8/31/2005 3:49:30 PM
Author: oldminer

Don''t get confused about resale when you are buying a gift. It just isn''t worth worrying over the liquidation value of a diamond in the larger scheme of things. Just buy the best one you can afford and don''t count the beans. If it ever needs to be sold, then whatever you get will either suit you or make you disappointed. It may never happen and there is nothing you can do now to make it different. Just know that most people who need to sell a luxury item take a huge hit financially to get it sold when they no longer want to own it. It isn''t just diamonds, but all luxury items are pretty much the same. For years, real estate has been the king of investments. Who knows about next week or next year? Laissez les bon temps roulez, as they once said before New Orleans became a swamp......
Well said.

New Orleans and the guy who lost his wife is major news here too.

Fusion238

Rough_Rock
Thanks you, folks, for your helpful responses. I agree that the true value is in how much she loves it and not the dollar amount it is worth years down the road. After all, it''s not as if I plan on ever selling the thing!

John

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results