shape
carat
color
clarity

Proposing on an "already special" day?

misscuppycake

Shiny_Rock
How do you feel about being proposed to on a day that's already special in some way (birthday, Valentine's, Christmas, anniversary, etc.)?

Do you like the idea of being engaged on one of these days or would you prefer the proposal to have its own "unique" date?

LoveLikeCrazy

Brilliant_Rock
EHH, TBH i wouldn't say NO but i would rather it be on it's own day. We always have this ongoing joke that if you propose on a holiday and it's a gift, i dont have to give it back if we break up haha :naughty:

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
I think proposing on whatever day suits you is perfect. keep it simple.. don't try to complicate things.

O'wise it can be as complex to choose a date:
1) when we first met,
2) when we first made the commitment to have a r/ship
3) when we first kiss
4) when we first did it
5) when we travelled together o'seas.
6) when we proposed
7) when we got back together

FWIW- we commemorate our anniversary/ commitment all on the same day. The day we decided to date each other is also the date that i proposed. And, if i can help it, if and when we can legally get married, I would like it on the same day. one less date to remember on the many special days that are in the year.

antiquesparkler

Brilliant_Rock
LoveLikeCrazy|1363097480|3402834 said:
EHH, TBH i wouldn't say NO but i would rather it be on it's own day. We always have this ongoing joke that if you propose on a holiday and it's a gift, i dont have to give it back if we break up haha :naughty:

Lol! Love it LLC!

I agree. I would never say no because of it but it would be fun to have it be 'Our engagement day'... SO will not do it on a holiday or special day because he is so afraid of me suspecting something. :tongue:

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
I would not say no if it was on another special day, but I would like to space out the days we celebrate throughout the year a little more! My bday is in August, then our anniversary in October, his bday in November, then Christmas and vday so those are all within 6 months. Maybe it won't be so bad anyway because I've always wanted to get married May or June so that would work!

I have hinted at it before with him but no idea if he will follow through...our anni is 10/10/10 and 10x10x10 = 1000 and 1000 days from our anni is July 6 this year...I love playing with numbers so I am realllllly hoping that works out because I think it would be so neat!!!

LoveLikeCrazy

Brilliant_Rock
pandabee|1363106424|3402914 said:
I would not say no if it was on another special day, but I would like to space out the days we celebrate throughout the year a little more! My bday is in August, then our anniversary in October, his bday in November, then Christmas and vday so those are all within 6 months. Maybe it won't be so bad anyway because I've always wanted to get married May or June so that would work!

I have hinted at it before with him but no idea if he will follow through...our anni is 10/10/10 and 10x10x10 = 1000 and 1000 days from our anni is July 6 this year...I love playing with numbers so I am realllllly hoping that works out because I think it would be so neat!!!

Man you and audball are so good with numbers lol!

You know what...I'll take it any day, just gimme!!!

@antique sparkler...I wouldn't say no either, just sayin' haha

I'm gonna know when he is gonna do it anyways bc I plan EVERYTHING. I'm the planner of our relationship. S the one thing he tries to PLAN, that will be it. He's also not very creative or romantic so he may even try to use MY plans to his benefit haha. We have a bunch of concerts planned for the summer and our anni is in July. So I'm hoping before July.

Chewbacca

Brilliant_Rock
I really don't care! Aside from remembering it fondly, its not something I'd ever 'celebrate' annually.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
I'd prefer not to get engaged on Valentine's Day or Christmas, but other than that I really don't care.

gem_anemone

Brilliant_Rock
DH proposed on the anniversary of the day we first moved into our house. It was sweet.

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
gem_anemone|1363186188|3403830 said:
DH proposed on the anniversary of the day we first moved into our house. It was sweet.

awww that is really sweet and meaningful! And different from your typical "anniversary" dates.

LLC what can I say...it's nice to assign meaning to certain things that seem random but have special meaning to you!

MBKRH

Brilliant_Rock
LoveLikeCrazy|1363097480|3402834 said:
EHH, TBH i wouldn't say NO but i would rather it be on it's own day.

This.

After much thought about it lately, I would hate if M proposed on a holiday. So cliche. I don't think he's the type to go that route, but if he did, well..... yeah, I wouldn't say no. I'd be a bit disappointed though. Only a bit. :tongue:

Ms_Lovely

Rough_Rock
I secretly hope my honey proposes on a "special day" because I would love for him to do it in front of family. Plus, it would still be a surprise! I've been waiting a really long time. 5 years ago I would have wanted a proposal that was private and sweet. Now, I want a freaking parade :tongue:

BriBee

Brilliant_Rock
Obviously since I got engaged on my 30th birthday, I have no problem with the "already special day" :lol:
We are also (very seriously) considering getting married on New Year's Eve. At first I wondered if I'd rather get married at a different time so that we'd have more celebrations throughout the year, but for me I don't think it really matters. I'm also not one to put a whole lot of weight on every little holiday or anniversary...I like to make birthdays special and other than that I just go with the flow.

PhillyMcGee

Rough_Rock
I would quite like an 'already special day'. I would like anything really!! but when I think of this year, which is when I hope it to be, my markers are anniversary (april - not likely as its a bit too soon), my birthday (august) and then xmas/new year/on holiday as we will go away somewhere over xmas. My OH told me that he had planned to propose last xmas, but we had a lot of expenses come up which ate into his finances a lot and he wasn't able to ;( but that would have been lovely! I'm really not that fussed, I guess it will be more of a surprise if it's on a random day but seems as though it will have more meaning on a special day.

StacylikesSparkles

Brilliant_Rock
I personally would have felt jipped if DH would have proposed on any holiday not related to us. We even talked about how it's sort of cheating (in our eyes) to propose on a birthday or other special event, unless it is some sort of anniversary for us. He ended up proposing on a random day in January, which is now a special day for us and us alone :love:

star sparkle

Brilliant_Rock
I used to think that I wouldn't have wanted it on an already-established holiday or special "us" day but TBH, once the ring was in the house and I was in full LIW-mode, I truly didn't care what day it happened on, I just wanted to be engaged to the man I love! DH always told me he'd never have done it on a holiday or anniversary because he thought I'd "expecting" it then, but of course I took that to mean he MIGHT do it then and was just trying to throw me off. Lol :roll:

Anyway, Valentine's day, my birthday, his birthday, and our anniversary all passed in that time span with no engagement. He proposed on a random day two weeks after our anniversary. But if it HAD happened on any of those other days, I don't think it would have been any less special.

wsucheerleader

Rough_Rock
I would like it to be on a day that nothing else is celebrated on but i'm so antsy considering I KNOW he bought the ring. I just want it already!!!!!!!!

sweetpea&babycorn

Brilliant_Rock
At the end of the day, it wouldn't matter to me, though I've already been proposed to ;-) I want to share those other special days with the man I love and having something extra to celebrate would not bother me. We even booked our wedding date on his 31st birthday. At least that way, he will never ever have an excuse to forget our wedding anniversary :D

Mickeylover

Rough_Rock
I wouldn't mind the day he proposed, but I would"t like to get married on a holiday, o special occasion. . . As you can see my username is Mickeylover because I'M a Disney freak. . . It would be a dream come true is he gave me the ring at Disneyland :love:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results