shape
carat
color
clarity

Proposing Abroad

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

darklayers

Rough_Rock
I''m planning on proposing to my boyfriend on a trip (5 day) to South Africa this summer. I was wondering with abroad proposals should the couple steer away from a lot of tourism and sightseeing and just stick around the venue where the proposal is planned to take place?

darklayers

Rough_Rock
Yeah, he''s actually the one who''s eager. When we discussed it, I was holding back.

HeadOverHeels4James

Shiny_Rock
JUst out of curiosity.. Is there a reason your proposing to him instead of him to you?

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How exciting! Are you giving your partner anything for the engagement? I don''t have any recommendations on place or touristy vs not touristy, but please do be careful with the engagement gift through customs.

darklayers

Rough_Rock
I thought it was proper given my early aversion and hesitation, and because I''m really excited about the idea now.

darklayers

Rough_Rock
Yeah, I am planning on a gift, though I haven''t quite decided. I was thinking cuff links or a watch. Thanks for the advice. :)

brazen_irish_hussy

Ideal_Rock
First, good for you. I think it reflects very well on your man that he progressive enough to be ok with it and you for being brave enough to do so.
36.gif

My FI proposed to me abroad. We didn''t do the touristy thing because we never do, and because the tour talked about the castle''s history during the black plague. I think if you normally do the touristy thing, great; if not, don''t.

While it was a beautiful place, it was not where most people propose so the staff, who he was in contact with, were really excited. This was nice because it felt more special that he picked a place just for us. It is the castle I am named after and I have a framed picture he stared at a lot before we went, so it was perfect.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Good on you! I proposed to my guy spontaneously (and, for much the same reason - I was the established commitmentphobe in the relationship). A watch sounds like a fantastic engagement gift (or possibly simple matching bands? this is the custom in some other nations, including the land from which my now-husband hails). Regarding your original question ... I don''t know if there''s any kind of received wisdom about this. I think it kind of depends on what kinds of things you guys like to do, and it does seem like it would be a pity to miss out on the many experiences SA has to offer. Go with your gut?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results