shape
carat
color
clarity

Proposal location ''trilemma''

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mdredmond

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

Getting engaged. Soon. Have a ring - pics of the platinum ring with the 1.12 E-VS1 here: http://www.tradeshop.com/temp23/prinring.jpg The style might not appeal to everyone, but it is similar to rings she's expressed a liking for, so I didn't want to stray too far from that.

She knows a ring exists and suspects a proposal is imminent. This is really my fault. Like many women, she has expressed some frustration that we aren't engaged yet (have dated two years). In efforts to 'defend myself' I've hinted here and there & she now has enough info and 'knows too much'. The only reason I've waited until now is that I didn't want to go into debt to get the ring. Anyway...

Here's my dilemma: I obviously want the proposal to be (in the words of Mikey) 'romantical', and have a few choices.

(a) We live in Dallas. Our second date was to the 'Texas State Railroad Park' where we rode a steam train for an hour and a half and then picnicked outside of an old white chapel in the state park. This place has great sentimental value for her, as we also partook of our first kiss there. We have plans to go there this weekend & I was thinking I might propose while we picknicked.

As a diversion, I have told her to get 'date clothes' ready for the following weekend for a 'romantical dinner'. No doubt she expects me to propose then, not at the railroad park.

(b) I also have the opportunity to take her to Montreal, Canada this weekend. Up on Saturday back on Sunday - for dinner at her favorite restaurant there (we went there a year and a half ago and she loves it there). The problem is, we don't jet around spontaneously and she will surely guess why we are going. The cost of this trip is inconsequential - we'll be on frequent flyer passes.

(c) The /next/ weekend we are going to my cousin's wedding in San Francisco. I could pre-scope-out a nice spot, maybe one looking over the bay, and do it there. But up until I propose she'll probably be disappointed, thinking that we're going to 'yet another' wedding and she still isn't engaged.

So to summarize: option (a) she won't suspect anything, option (b) is MUCH more romantical, but will give it away, and option (c) could be very romantical and we'll have a built-in engagement party with my whole family :) but has the drawbacks of (1) complicating the purpose of the trip and/or (2) leaving her disappointed until she realizes it's happening and/or (3) upsetting my cousin and her family, who might conclude that we're somehow stealing the spotlight (they get like that). I would not propose at their wedding or their reception - just during that same trip!

Any thoughts?

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Personally, I love the idea of getting engaged where you had your second date, and what could be more symbolic than proposing in front of that little white chapel?

NoviceNYC

Rough_Rock
I second optoin a. I got chills just reading it!

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
I vote for A only because stealing thunder at a wedding can be construed as mean. They spent all that money, they SHOULD be the stars of the show...

But to string her along for a while thinking that she ISN'T getting engaged for a while is OK. it makes it worth the while. My guy did it to me. When I got the ring, I was over it QUICK. NOW it bothers her, when you give her the ring, it will merely be an after thought IF THAT!

No worries...Good luck and I say make it sentimental and private, like in #1...I like that a lot!!! Plus, we got engaged in a little white wedding chapel with flowers all over it, so I can say it makes the proposal a little more meaningful and sweet!!! All the best to you both!!!

CaptAubrey

Brilliant_Rock
i vote (a)

(b) will not be as romatical as you might think. april is not the best time of the year to visit montreal. it's still pretty much winter up there right now.

on (c), agree with nicrez. you should never propose at someone else's wedding unless the bride and groom know about it beforehand and encourage it.

sumi

Brilliant_Rock
Stringing her along isn't always a bad thing. If she's frustrated after only two years, then you should know that my husband and I were together for four years (living together for 3) before we got engaged. Some of friends of mine were together 6 and 7 years before an engagement.

My husband strung me along for a while before we got engaged. He gave me a decoy present on our 4 year dating anniversary. It was a lovely Tiffany necklace, but it wasn't the engagement ring I was hoping for. He let me feel a little blue the whole night and proposed the next morning. It actually made it better for me because I went from feeling a little down to really happy!

mdredmond

Rough_Rock
Oh nicrez and captaubrey - I'd NEVER consider proposing AT the wedding or the reception. Just during the same trip - perhaps the day before.

Thanks for your input! Sounds like (a) is winning.

ClownFishFunk

Shiny_Rock
Hello there. I agree I like 'A' the best - it sounds very sentimental, romantic, and symbolic! I enjoy the idea of making her believe it will be at another time and then surprising her.

As for option C, even if you propose during the 'trip' of the wedding and not during the actual wedding, you would have to keep it to yourselves until after the wedding was over, because just announcing an engagement or perhaps someone noticing her ring could steal the spotlight for the bride and groom, I would think. They deserve their own day, as you deserve your own to announce an engagement.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I vote A also. It appears to be the scenario with the most potential for her to be surprised.

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
I vote a! Very sentimental and personal, nice and private and can be very romantic. Then you can enjoy it with all the family in SF shortly there after. It will still be fresh and exciting, without stealing any thunder.

VAgal13

Shiny_Rock
Ditto on "A"!!!

Do keep us posted on what you decide.

-Sarah

P.S. Sumi...that makes me feel so much better. Been dating my man for 3 years, living together for 2 and am getting frustrated he hasn't asked me yet. So this is normal? LOL
2.gif

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
My friend has you all beat.

She was LIVING with a man for 10 years. They did break up.

She then found the man of her dreams after 9 months of dating and married for the first time at 42. She is still nauseatingly in love with him 10 years later.

AtlantaC

Rough_Rock
Sounds to me like you can't go wrong. I like the train idea. It certainly has that touch of history and sweetness. But, (and I'll preface this by saying my love for the city is probably a huge bias), San Francisco is absolutely amazing. There, you'd have tons of options. There's the bridge, the bay, etc. There's Washington Park in North Beach which is very scenic with beautiful churches and great eats. You're a short drive from Napa and the gorgeous vineyards there. You're a short drive from Muir Woods and those long-lasting, breath-taking redwoods. That said, you're also a short ferry ride from Alcatraz...take that for what you will
2.gif

I agree that you'd probably want to keep it on the "down low" if you do it there. Even though, in my opinion, it'd be a very fragile bride indeed who would let someone else's spark dampen her day, I'm sure they're out there. So, best to wear the kid gloves and let your joy simmer a bit, or at least think twice about carrying a big banner to the ceremony that says, "You ain't seen nothin' yet".

marquisemadness

Rough_Rock
Option A is by far the best. Having lived in Montreal with most of my family still in Canada (I was smart and got out of the snow) I can tell you that while it is spring, April is notorious for that last minute snow storm. I also had a cousin propose to his girlfriend and announce it at my brother's wedding. What a terrible feeling for my brother and his new wife. It was their day to be celebrated.

Best of luck
marquisemadness

Fuzzdawg

Rough_Rock
uh, yeah... i proposed in san fran yesterday and i must say: it's not near as romantic as you would think. i think the consensus is A

AtlantaC

Rough_Rock
hmmm...point is...romance is wherever you want it to be as long as the two of you are there to share it. It's about two people in love. Don't rely on a place or an event to provide the romance. You'll provide that.

jackieblue

Rough_Rock
Another vote for A from me!

katbadness

Shiny_Rock
mdredmond --

I vote for (A), I thought that's pretty cool that you added that the date the following week to throw her off.
9.gif
11.gif

ShopDiva

Rough_Rock
A- ALL THE WAY! The place you had your first kiss...super romantic. Who knows maybe you can get married in that church too!!Good Luck
wink2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results