shape
carat
color
clarity

proposal ideas for Ireland and Scotland

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Bicman3

Rough_Rock
I am going to ireland and scotland with my gf towards the end of Oct. and I was planning on proposing while we were there. I have never been to either place. anyone have any ideas??

chris-uk04

Shiny_Rock
I proposed in Edinburgh, Scotland. If you are planning on going to the Isle of Skye off the west coast of Scotland, it is very beautiful. Much of the other coastal regions have high bluffs that look out onto the water, which make for very scenic areas. Dublin is a nice city too. I''d skip proposing in Glasgow as it is more of an industrial city.

Actually, a good suggestion is also in Edinburgh, at the Holyrood palace. It''s one of the Queen''s official residences and it''s very ornate. It would make your bride-to-be feel like princess. I attached a photo of the outside of the palace (pictures are not allowed inside).

Palace at Holyrood-delete.JPG

flutterby

Brilliant_Rock
Another great place in Edinburgh, is in Edinburgh castle. You can tour the castle, and there is a room with the crown jewels and all kinds of royal jewelry. I think that would be kinda fun.

If you are somewhat adventurous sir arthurs seat in edinburgh is an extinct volcano with amazing views of the city. I have climed to the top many times and it isnt too difficult of a hike at all. That would be nice up there and bring a bottle of wine and a little picnic.

My final suggestion in in Arbroath Scotland. This is a beautiful seaside town. everything there is charming and beautiful.

No matter what you do Scotland is beautiful. Cant wait to hear what all you are doing!

N

Bicman3

Rough_Rock
Those are wonderful ideas. Here is what I am thinking. We are flying into Dublin and staying for one day and night and then going to Edinburgh, where we will stay with my sister''s in-laws for a big celebration of her recent wedding in the States. So, I am thinking that it might be better to propose in Dublin where we will have some time to ourselves and then announce it to everyone once we go to scotland. However, I must say that proposing on some cliffs overlooking the ocean or on top of the volcano sound like great ideas. If you have anything on Dublin as well I would truly appreciate it.
Thanks for your quick responses. I just found this site and I am really impressed how helpful all the members are.

chris-uk04

Shiny_Rock
There''s not as many "great places" to propose in Dublin. It''s a fun city, but less romantic. It''s more for going out drinking, shopping, eating at restuarants, touring the Guiness Brewery. To get to the high cliffs, you''d have to travel far out of the city, not something likely in just a day.

The Edinburgh Castle is cool. Some "castles" are more like large estates, but Edinburgh castle is a real castle.
There is a park below the castle next to Princes St. with a big fancy fountain. That''s where I proposed. (see photo below)
1.gif

The Spot-delete.JPG

chris-uk04

Shiny_Rock
Stonehaven is a nice seaside town, but it''s about 2 hour train ride north of edinburgh, just south of Aberdeen.

Stonehaven 1.JPG

chris-uk04

Shiny_Rock
Finally, also in Stonehaven is a castle ruins (Dunnottar Castle) that is perched on a huge seaside bluff. Not a bad spot either.

Dunnottar Castle.JPG

flutterby

Brilliant_Rock
Chris those are great pictures, and great ideas. Princess Street Garden is beautiful besides the fountain they have beautiful gardens (lots of thistles) and a clock made out of flowers. It is a pretty congested area, though. So it all depends if she would appreciate a public proposal.

chris-uk04

Shiny_Rock
Date: 9/13/2005 2:58:49 PM
Author: msflutter

Chris those are great pictures, and great ideas. Princess Street Garden is beautiful besides the fountain they have beautiful gardens (lots of thistles) and a clock made out of flowers. It is a pretty congested area, though. So it all depends if she would appreciate a public proposal.
It wasn't too crowded really. There were a couple people around, but it wasn't jammed or anything.

However, if your time is more limited, I'd still go with Holyrood Palace in Edinburgh (pronounced Edin-burr). Other ideas you also could climb to the top of Scott Monument in the center of Edinburgh, or climb to the top to Nelson Monument which is on Calton hill, overlooking the city. Those two spots will likely be more secluded. (The photo below is taken from Edinburgh Castle which is more on the other side of the city.) Edinburgh is a very underrated city. I can think of several great spots there, but am lacking any good suggestions for Dublin

Edinburgh.JPG

lakerkobe

Rough_Rock
Cliffs of Moher. Hands down.

moher.jpeg

chris-uk04

Shiny_Rock
Date: 9/13/2005 3:16:54 PM
Author: lakerkobe
Cliffs of Moher. Hands down.
Yes, I have heard about those. They are quite far from Dublin though, probably at least 200 miles on the Atlantic. The Mealt Falls on the Isle of Skye in Scotland is cool too, but again, it''s significantly far from Edinburgh. Also remember, much of the driving in Ireland and Scotland is on slower two-lane country roads, constantly hitting roundabouts or getting stuck behind a slow moving lorry (what they call a tractor-trailer). The windy roads makes it difficult to pass slower moving traffic. So instead of averaging 70 miles/hr, you are averaging about 40 mi/hr. Getting to Skye by public transportation is even slower. I doubt the remote Moher is any better. I mentioned Stonehaven because it is on a direct train route.

Mealt Falls.JPG

Bicman3

Rough_Rock
Wow! these are all beautiful places. Chris, was your last picture from Stonehaven? This is going to be difficult trying to decide between all of them. Thanks again for your help and I will let you all know what I pick. Please keep them coming if you know of any other places. I heard the Isle of Aran is nice as well, any thoughts on this.

chris-uk04

Shiny_Rock
No, the last picture is from the Isle of Skye. Stonehaven harbour was my 3rd photo on the thread, and the castle which is very nearby stonehaven was the 4th photo.

How long are you in Edinburgh for? Are you renting a car? Many of Scotland's western isles are very equally beautiful, but I haven't been to Aran. The isles are all in respect to how much time you have to be able to get there. Only Skye really has a bridge to get there. Others require going on a ferry (which could be nice, but again, more time required).

The other thing, it rains a heck of a lot in Scotland, especially on the western Isles. I was originally going to propose out on the Isle of Skye, but the weather was FINALLY nice on the first day we were in Edinburgh (which was a week before we were scheduled to go to Skye), so I changed my mind and decided to do it that day. (It did relieve some nerves because there wasn't this long buildup). To me, the guaranteed nice weather in Edinburgh was more important than risking rain on the possibly slightly better location on Skye.

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
I''ve been to Aran- it''s absolutely beautiful there! Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results