shape
carat
color
clarity

Proposal Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

McGee

Rough_Rock
I''ve been lurking here for weeks now and have enjoyed everyone''s stories as I begin to plan for my proposal. I was hoping this forum could help me with some suggestions for a pretty important aspect of the proposal.

My girlfriend is going on a business trip to a foreign country later this year (I''m trying to be vague in case she ever comes across this), and I plan on surprising her with a ring while she''s there. I''m leaving a day after she leaves for her trip, and she has no idea that I''m doing this. I''m trying to figure out a way to lure her to the location that I plan on proposing - a major tourist attraction - but haven''t been able to come up with a foolproof plan.

Some important facts: She is traveling with coworkers, but I don''t want to clue them in to the surprise. She''s also staying at a hotel very close to where I''d like to propose. I do not know the language of the country we are visiting, so it will make communication with locals difficult.

So, my question to you: How would you ensure that your girlfriend arrives at the right place, and at the right time, for the proposal, without spilling the beans?

treefrog

Brilliant_Rock
This sounds very similar to another proposal idea that was on here recently.

Sounds very romantic... and challenging. Especially if you don''t have anybody on the "inside". Does she have any kind of ininerary for her trip? Do you know where she is staying? Are you staying there too? If so, you''re going to have to be especially sneaky.

Treefrog

McGee

Rough_Rock
Thanks Treefrog… I know where she''s staying, but I''m staying on the other side of town to avoid bumping into her and ruining the surprise. And I could get somebody on the "inside" - if I''m absolutely desperate - by letting one of her coworkers in on it. Also, she doesn’t have an itinerary for the trip (I certainly wish she did!).

I''ve thought about contacting the hotel, and asking them to provide my girlfriend and her coworkers with a gift certificate for a free photography session and drinks at this location... as if they had won a contest at the hotel. Free drinks would get them there for sure, and I will have a photographer there to take photos anyway. This would involve a bit of collaboration with the hotel though, and I''d be worried that, due to the language disconnect, there may be issues. Also, I''m not sure how accommodating the hotel would be since I''m not staying at their property. I was hoping there’s a better way…

Narwhal

Shiny_Rock
Could you leave a fake business related message for her at the hotel front desk that says for her to meet "clients" or boss or other co workers at x place at y time?

Nomsdeplume

Brilliant_Rock
Okay, this is very extreme, but I would get a female friend to call the hotel and leave the following message for her:
"I know that (your name) isn''t with you right now, and I have to urgently speak with you alone. He is not being honest and you deserve the truth. Meet me at (location) at (time)." It''s not a lie, you are keeping a secret from her.
1.gif

She will definitely show up. Then you pop out, and propose.

ts44

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/14/2009 1:16:43 PM
Author: McGee
Thanks Treefrog… I know where she''s staying, but I''m staying on the other side of town to avoid bumping into her and ruining the surprise. And I could get somebody on the ''inside'' - if I''m absolutely desperate - by letting one of her coworkers in on it. Also, she doesn’t have an itinerary for the trip (I certainly wish she did!).

I''ve thought about contacting the hotel, and asking them to provide my girlfriend and her coworkers with a gift certificate for a free photography session and drinks at this location... as if they had won a contest at the hotel. Free drinks would get them there for sure, and I will have a photographer there to take photos anyway. This would involve a bit of collaboration with the hotel though, and I''d be worried that, due to the language disconnect, there may be issues. Also, I''m not sure how accommodating the hotel would be since I''m not staying at their property. I was hoping there’s a better way…

I think it''s worth a try to get the hotel involved. They are in the hospitality and service industry and this is directly related to one of their guests, plus it could turn into a great PR opportunity for them. If the hotel is any kind of chain or larger, fancier hotel, they will definitely have multilingual staff that can help you get your message across. If that doesn''t work, I think the safest route is to clue in a coworker, whomever you think is the most trustworthy and the best actor.
1.gif

Kribbie''s idea would probably work to get her there when you need her but I''m not sure I''d want to ride that emotional rollercoaster.
14.gif

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/15/2009 12:17:11 PM
Author: ts44

Date: 8/14/2009 1:16:43 PM
Author: McGee

Thanks Treefrog… I know where she''s staying, but I''m staying on the other side of town to avoid bumping into her and ruining the surprise. And I could get somebody on the ''inside'' - if I''m absolutely desperate - by letting one of her coworkers in on it. Also, she doesn’t have an itinerary for the trip (I certainly wish she did!).

I think it''s worth a try to get the hotel involved. They are in the hospitality and service industry and this is directly related to one of their guests, plus it could turn into a great PR opportunity for them. If the hotel is any kind of chain or larger, fancier hotel, they will definitely have multilingual staff that can help you get your message across. If that doesn''t work, I think the safest route is to clue in a coworker, whomever you think is the most trustworthy and the best actor.
1.gif

Kribbie''s idea would probably work to get her there when you need her but I''m not sure I''d want to ride that emotional rollercoaster.
14.gif
I''m with ts on all accounts on this one. If the hotel is worth it''s salt at ALL, they will be more than happy to help you out. Ditto on the multilingual staff comment. In most countries nowadays, children learn English starting at about 7-9 years old, so I''m sure there will be SOMEONE around to help you out! I really like gift certificate idea, to be honest...and I think it would work. Best of luck to you!
9.gif
Can''t wait to hear what you decide!

AustenNut

Brilliant_Rock
Ditto on the multilingual staff of the hotels. But have you just thought about waiting in the hotel lobby before/after her appointments and surprising her there and then whisking her off to this special location?

McGee

Rough_Rock
Thank you to everyone for your suggestions so far. I''ve just hired the photographer for the proposal, and will be finalizing the purchase of the ring as soon as I find a dealer I feel comfortable with.

The "method" I use to get her to the proposal site is still up for debate, but has basically been narrowed down to telling one (or all) of her coworkers - and hoping they can keep a secret - or working with the hotel and hoping they are capable. Thanks to some of the comments here, I feel slightly more comfortable working with the hotel.

Thanks again for everyone''s help...

DoreFan

Rough_Rock
You could tell her after she is there that you saw on a televised program (something you have been known to watch) that they are shooting live from that particular location and you would love to see her in the crowd because you miss her. She goes looking for the camera and the crowd and she finds you!

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Working with the hotel staff would be the safest way. Maybe have them tell her that a person from the business (pick believable person at the company she is visiting) wants to meet with her at that location. Or even her and a co-worker.

If it is a certificate for drinks or a TV camera or anything like that she could decide she is too tired or too busy to go. And then your plans would be spoiled.

McGee

Rough_Rock
Thanks again for everyone''s help.

I''m about six weeks away from the proposal, and have decided that the best (i.e., safest) route will be to let one of her travel companions in on the surprise, and ask them to bring her to the spot. I decided that leaving a certificate for free dinner, or something along those lines, leaves the option open for the group to blow it off. The last thing I want is for the photographer and me to be stood up.

About two weeks prior to the trip, I''m going to call one of her co-workers to discuss the plan, and we''ll go from there.

Everything else is just about ready. I bought the ring a few weeks ago (see attached photo - Cushion, 1.02 ct., F, VS2) and will tell her parents about it a week before the proposal (I''ve been paying close attention to the recent thread about it on this forum).

ring (9 of 9).jpg

McGee

Rough_Rock
One last photo, just for fun.

ring (6 of 9).jpg

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful ring.

Your proposal sounds wonderful.

Make sure to let us know how it goes. And pictures too (if you are comfortable with it).

AustenNut

Brilliant_Rock
Good luck with everything. It sounds as though you''ve got everything thought of. I look forward to hearing about it once the proposal is over!

bobbin

Shiny_Rock
I agree that getting the coworker in on it is the best plan. If you are worried that they cannot keep a sectret, why not wait until the last minute to tell them? Make sure that your GF has no plans for the day by talking to her in a general way about her plans, and then call the hotel the day before or something and ask to speak to the coworker. You can then let them in on it and ask them to bring her to the place at the right time.

Luckyeshe

Ideal_Rock
What a beautiful ring! She's gonna be blown away!! Good job!!

Also, I'm glad you've enlisted the aid of one of her coworkers! That should help with making sure you and the photog are not stood up! I wish you the best and good luck!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results