shape
carat
color
clarity

Proper ring size

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

decapr

Rough_Rock
I had my ering and wring soldered together, b/c of the shared prong style on the wring eating away at the prong on the ering. btw, I just got these, they are scott kay :). Anyway, when sized alone they were the proper fit. But now I wonder if I should do anything. I can get it on pretty easily and I can take it off if my hand is wet or I have lotion...but it''s a real struggle to get it over the knuckle otherwise. What do you guys think? Is it worth having them shave a little off the inside? If I do need it bigger probably only by 1/8 maybe 1/4 max...they have to unsolder and resize or just shave some off since the change is so small. How do your rings fit? Is it ok that in order to take it off my hand needs to be wet or with lotion? What insight do you have? Thanks!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think Mara had here rings shaved 1/4 a size because they were a little snug once she added her wedding band. she kept scraping her knuckle getting them on and off. I wouldn''t like my rings to be so difficult so I''d have them shaved a bit..

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
What you're finding is not uncommon. It can be especially notable if the bands are a bit wide. The problem with shaving them down is that it could possibly weaken the rings. Unsoldering and resizing will be expensive, even if they require only a quarter size adjustment. Have you sought advice from the seller or from Scott Kay?

decapr

Rough_Rock
When I called and told them that it was a bit too snug, and needed to be 1/8 or 1/4 bigger they suggested shaving. I don''t like the idea either. Do you have any suggestions?
I''m a bit annoyed with the store we bought them from as they didn''t tell me that a shared prong setting would rub the ering prong setting. I likely would have gone for another set had I known that.

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/27/2006 5:41:17 PM
Author: decapr
When I called and told them that it was a bit too snug, and needed to be 1/8 or 1/4 bigger they suggested shaving. I don't like the idea either. Do you have any suggestions?
I'm a bit annoyed with the store we bought them from as they didn't tell me that a shared prong setting would rub the ering prong setting. I likely would have gone for another set had I known that.
You could contact the manufacturer for input. If the rings are warranted and the warranty would still be intact after an authorized adjustment it could ease your mind.

If you're talking about diamond girdles rubbing each other, it's a subject that has been visited here before. To avoid that the most important consideration is for the band to be slightly thicker than the mm of the diamonds - for example, in a 2mm band every diamond must be precisely 1.7 mm in spread. If even one or two deviate slightly it poses a problem.

sueg128

Rough_Rock
I am thinking about getting a scott kay set and certainly don''t want this to happen. The ering has the center stone with 5 stones on each side. The w band has 10 stones I think. They call it PAVE in their brochure, butmost jewelers call it bead set. Is this yours? Thanks

decapr

Rough_Rock
I would imagine a reputable designer like Scott Kay would design the rings so the diamonds don''t rub each other..do you know if he designs them that so the diamonds don''t rub? I can see that after wearing the set for one month, the prongs for my solitaire were really scratched. After just one month! So I decided to get the soldered b/c I couldn''t imagine what would happen after years of wear if it was so noticable after just one month. A real shame b/c the wedding ring is gorgeous and would nice alone.

decapr

Rough_Rock
Mine has 2 diamonds on either side of the solitaire and the wedding band has 5 diamonds, they are all shared prong and that is what''s causing the wband to eat away at the prongs for the eband....real shame. doesn''t sound like the one you are looking at.

coda72

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/27/2006 4:23:38 PM
Author:decapr
Anyway, when sized alone they were the proper fit. But now I wonder if I should do anything. I can get it on pretty easily and I can take it off if my hand is wet or I have lotion...but it''s a real struggle to get it over the knuckle otherwise. order to take it off my hand needs to be wet or with lotion? What insight do you have? Thanks!
My rings are the same way although they are not soldered, and I just live with it. I don''t know how tight yours fit at the bottom of your finger, but mine still constantly spin around. It''s just my knuckle that is big. If I resized my rings any bigger they would spin even more than they do already. Since you have already soldered yours, I would leave them alone if you feel like you can live with them as is. Since they do slide off pretty easily when your hands are wet, you don''t have to worry about them getting stuck on your hand. The only problem you might have is if your hands tend to swell in the summer. If they do, you may have to get them resized.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results