shape
carat
color
clarity

Prong setting for an EC

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

lovelylulu

Ideal_Rock
Hello all!

I got engaged to a wonderful fellow back in Nov. he proposed with a gorgeous 1.5 ct EC ring in a basket setting. the ring is stunning. i love it!

the problem is that because of the basket setting, i will never be able to have a wedding ring(s
3.gif
) sit flush with the engagement ring.

I know that others are having this problem as well, so i''m wondering if EC''s are ever prong set to allow for a wedding ring? i guess the diamond would have to be set slightly higher?

any ideas. my rock is 8.16 x 5.22 so it is pretty long

here''s the link to my ring lulu''s ring

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe slightly higher, but the key is a wider band (even knife edge, just wider towards the finger) and prongs coming at a point (or close) and a rather steep angle.

Anyway, forget 'theory'... You may find a few cute example among the setting by Precisionset.

Even if you hate those and don't want the details that the designer line comes with - the way the diamonds are held in the setting would work as you wish.

If you liked the 'suspended' bezels of Etienne Perret setting, those would do the job too, I'd bet.

Setting the EC E-W would definitely make things easier and allow for a lower setting to boot.

There was something else... let me see if I find it.
38.gif
How do you feel about split shanks?
5.gif

lovelylulu

Ideal_Rock
val: i actually like some of the precision set designs! thanks so much for the suggestion. I am not familiar with the "floating bezel" do you happen to have a visual aid?

initally, when looking at engagement rings, i adored split shanks, but i think style band wouldn''t allow me to wear a flush wedding ring, wouldn''t the split have to be worn alone?

also, i''m not a huge fan of EW setting...

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/1/2006 2:34:40 PM
Author: lovelylulu

I am not familiar with the 'floating bezel' do you happen to have a visual aid?

No't find the exact thing (by Etienne Perret) for the life of me. Whitney Boin has something similar - only hers are heavier settings.

This is the WB one - front and side:

010_sm.jpg
014_sm.jpg
and her related webpage

initially, when looking at engagement rings, i adored split shanks, but i think style band wouldn't allow me to wear a flush wedding ring, wouldn't the split have to be worn alone?

Don't think so... unless you hate how they look. In theory, the split shank would have about the same effect as a wide band - allow the w-band to sit closer to the ring. Someone has a pear set in a split shank setting by WF around here - worn with a band alright.

I had a different ring in mind - one in which the two bands of the split shank climb up and form the prongs.
I'll try to find the links and pictures tonight.
38.gif

lovelylulu

Ideal_Rock
thanks so much! the floaters are beautiful, but perhaps slightly too modern for my tastes.

do you know if precision set setting are expensive?

dani13

Ideal_Rock
LL-

You know I am in the same boat as you are with my EC. Like you, I adore my setting and dont want to change it. My FI and I designed it ourselves, it is set low (I dont like high settings) with split claw prongs and pave al around the basket. Not only do I adore it, but it was a lot of $$, so the last thing I want to do is change it.

The more I thought about it and saw my ring with TONS of different w-bands, the more I felt that it just looked better alone. I just feflt that the classic simplicity of my diamond is what makes it unique, and frankly to me it just looked strange with other rings and they took away from my e-ring.

What I will most likely do is wear my e-ring on the right hand and get an eternity band to wear on the right. But that is just me- you may feel completely different. Have you tried your e-ring with w-bands yet? That makes a big difference....

dani13

Ideal_Rock
I mean an eternity band to wear on my left!!!!

jadeleaves

Brilliant_Rock
Hi!

I''ve taken to wearing my EC on my left hand, so I bought the matching stuller band (with a notch) to wear as a wedding set. That said, when I get the EC reset, it''ll most probably be prongset, so I''m interested to see what ideas you get!

xoxo

lovelylulu

Ideal_Rock
jade leaves: do you have a picture of your notched set, so i can see how that sits on the finger?

dani: i''m glad you''ve figured out a way to be happy with your ring!!! your basket is beautiful. i just really want to wear my e-ring and wedding ring on the same hand. i''ve tried on a couple of bands and none really looked right because of the space. this is why i''m contemplating a whole redesign
14.gif
i''m also unsure about $$$ because weddings get pricey and i don''t want to blow everything we''ve been saving on another setting??

virgina: i think now there is a mervis closer to DC proper that i will have to check out. unfortunately, i haven''t heard anything good about them -- pricey/bad customer service etc, so i''m hesitant. maybe i''ll give quest a call and see if they have any ideas?

lovelylulu

Ideal_Rock

i thought i''d post a few ideas:

the first is a leon menge setting that i think is just gorgeous. it''s shown with a more square diamond...but i think that this kind of style would still have the non-flush problem!

beautifulbullets.jpg

lovelylulu

Ideal_Rock
here are some precision sets, but i still how no idea how pricey they are

luluprecision1.jpg

lovelylulu

Ideal_Rock
and this is similar to my current setting -- w/o RB -- though i'm not a huge fan of the channel set RB band -- doesn't seem to fit my stone.

luluprecisionRB.jpg

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
LuLu- Also check out Christian Alexander in No. VA area. A friend bought her diamond wedding band there and it''s stunning!!

Carrie

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
Lulu-

Does your wedding band HAVE to sit flush? Sme women actually like when a w-band doesn''t so people can see that they are two seperate rings.

Here are some bands that would go lovely with your beautiful EC!

#1 from Tiffany''s

14768769_xl.jpg

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
Here's a picture I save that I love. Someday I'll have an EC too!
31.gif
It's with a Tiffany Lucida band. Notice that it sits flush.
ETA: Dummy me. That's not the Lucida band but the Etoile band I believe.

ECwedset.jpg

lovelylulu

Ideal_Rock
i did get my eraing from charleston alexander. my fiancee and i had a great experience with them and are going to go back to see what they can do, but want to explore all of our options!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I could not find the Etienne Perret setting I was looking for - it was the same as the one below with a relatively ''short'' emerald cut. The other one comes from a website called Furthers.com, and it is the split shank I was referring to above.

ETPFR.JPG

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Val is right. I can have band sit flush with my EC basket set BECAUSE it is set higher and the band is wider.

lovelylulu

Ideal_Rock
ooooh -- that split shank is pretty!!! i love the idea.

thanks for tracking down the pictures, i really appreciate it...but i don''t think i would like a bezel on an EC...

dani13

Ideal_Rock
LL-

I know, I did really want my rings to sit flush together on the same hand too, but I just felt that unless I changed the WHOLE setting it just really wasnt possible. But, when it comes time to pick out the w-bands, we will go back to our jeweler and see what he can do. I wouldnt mind having a little gap, but my diamond is so low that the gap would end up being really big. I am intereseted to see what you do, since you will being going through this whole thing before me. I really love that Precisionset and the one asscher? band from tiffany''s- its so pretty!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hope you don''t mind... I was so craving a bit of doodle, and the large, beautiful Ec couldn''t fail to serve for inspiration
3.gif

... some detail is (still!) out of place. Obviously Excel was not meant to be a 3D drawing environment. It does drive me nuts sometimes. If you guys have a better idea, I am all ears.
38.gif

SplitEM_1.JPG

pilgrim

Rough_Rock
Have started thinking about the same question. Some of the w-bands with diamonds look good, even with a gap; or a nicely matched band.

Also another approach, from here

wedband_zoom.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results