shape
carat
color
clarity

Prong set diamond ring or Pave diamond ring setting?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

DonaBella

Brilliant_Rock
I am so confused!!!
emcrook.gif
I need to choose a setting for my new 1.21 cushion stone and I am considering either a A.Jaffe prong set ring setting that goes 1/2 way around with 2 WBs embracing the e-ring or a pave setting that has the little bracelet surrounding the diamond at the girdle level detailing like the one that Slammie got from Topper"s in Burlingame, CA...

I have read alot of the threads on pave that have appeared here and now I am majorly confused! Which is better for day to day living? I am not the sort of person who is super harsh with their hands, but I also do not want to constantly baby my rings in fear of damaging them.

So...which ring style is the least amount of concern? The prong set? This style is truly elegant and so timeless, but the particular style that Slammie had was gorgeous and has me mystified!
emsmilep.gif

See? I need some input here!!! Help....
emembarrassed.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
i think alot of the durability issues that people with pave is that it''s 3 sided or micropave eternity and to me that is just not practical for daily use forever.

the AJ setting you are talking about, is it the one i posted a while back? i loved that set in person, i tried it on at my jewelers. the bands are thin but the 1/2 way pave seems safer and it seemed pretty well set in there.

slammie''s set is amazing as well, are you thinking of doing an eternity ring or just the head with the pave ring around it? i actually plan to have something like her head put onto my ring at some point but i won''t change the rest of my setting most likely. who knows. i love a pave ring around the girdle.

i think part of it is where the pave is LOCATED...so where would hit the most and how durable is that for daily use...good luck!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Pave can be delicate, but Mara''s right about where it''s located. I love slammies set that pave around the gallery or girdle is one of my all time favs. Can you post a pic of the jaffe setting???

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
DeannaB,
Is this the A Jaffe you''re looking at?

01II13.jpg

DonaBella

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/16/2005 8:39:22 PM
Author: mrssalvo
DeannaB,
Is this the A Jaffe you''re looking at?

01II13.jpg
Yes...that is the ring...
emsmile.gif

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Which do you like better? which speaks to you more? The subtle sparkle of the pave or the more blingy shared prong?

I just went to a local jeweler to see a bunch of rings in person. I saw tons of pave settings, it''s all the rage now but found I like the simplicity of a solitare with an eternity best on my hand. most of the pave stuff to too thin for me. I know you''ve tried on a bunch of stuff lately, did one style jump out at you more?

allycat0303

Ideal_Rock
DeannaBana,

Well...... I have a prong set eternity band

And as you already know, I had a fiasco with my pave ring.

All I can say is that I''m probably never doing pave again (unless my boyfriend wins the lottery and I have endless money to toss around).

I am SUPER careful with my rings. A jeweler looked at my eternity band (after 2 + years of wear) and couldn''t believe that my ring was 2 years old.

That being said, my pave ring, I wear it to class. That''s it. I don''t run my hands through my hair, and at the end of class, I push the stones behind the claw prongs back into the halo, they have a tendency to move up. And as soon as class is done, I go home and put the ring back into the jewelery box. And the sad part is that I''m not even exaggerating
20.gif

Although I''m sure pave can be secure, but with all the issues I''ve had (and heard about recently) I would go with prong set. My eternity band, worn right next to my pave band has almost identical sparkle.

Leila

Brilliant_Rock
Deanne,
I really like that settting you''re interested in. I don''t think you''ll have problems with the stones falling out since it''s not a full eternity. Are you hard on your jewelry? I have bead set diamonds in my wedding set--I guess they''re what you would call pave and I haven''t had any problems. The wedding band I''ve had for about 4 years (yes, hubby and I are weird, I wore it for almost a year before I got married). I pretty much never take it off except to clean it. I wear it to work and I''m a nurse, I do all sorts of things with my hands and that ring takes the beating and still, no stones have fallen out. Maybe I''m lucky but I think the quality of the rings have a lot to do with it as well.

Not to hijack this thread or anything but Allycat, I''m so sorry you can''t fully enjoy your ring. Are you planning to change the setting?

rms

Brilliant_Rock
DeannaBana,
My wedding set is the 3 ring A. Jaffe set that you are considering. I have had them for almost a year now, have had absolutely no problems with them, and I truly don't have any concerns about any of the diamonds falling out. I would not say that I am super rough with them, but at the same time I don't baby my rings. The diamonds are ultra secure and the rings, while not super detailed like so many gorgeous sets I see here on PS, are nicely made. The other nice thing about the set in general (assuming you might buy a WB or 2 to go with the e-ring) is that they sit perfectly flush and the girdles do not rub against each other. If you go onto the A. Jaffe website you can also see that you can get the rings with round shanks (Classic Collection) or square shanks (Signature Collection).

I'll definitely be interested to hear what you decide to go with
1.gif

allycat0303

Ideal_Rock
Leila,

No I''m not changing the setting, I''ve had enough of everything associated with the ring. Once the diamond falls out, my boyfriend is going to buy a bigger diamond and we''re going to put it in a shared prong eternity band. I think sometimes the way to go is just to....LET IT GO
9.gif
. Sorry for the hijack Deanna
35.gif

DonaBella

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/16/2005 9:03:20 PM
Author: mrssalvo
Which do you like better? which speaks to you more? The subtle sparkle of the pave or the more blingy shared prong?

I just went to a local jeweler to see a bunch of rings in person. I saw tons of pave settings, it''s all the rage now but found I like the simplicity of a solitare with an eternity best on my hand. most of the pave stuff to too thin for me. I know you''ve tried on a bunch of stuff lately, did one style jump out at you more?
You know...I did try on alot of rings and I mean alot. I totally adore and have been captivated by Slammie''s ring. I have spoke to Bill at Topper''s Fine Jewelry a few times, drilling him about the type of French pave on this particular style of ring, etc. Yet, I tried on the A. Jaffe at Robbins Brothers in Montclair the other day and was amazed at how striking it was. Classy, understated yet plenty of bling...

These two rings have 2 totaly different types of personalities to them and I like them both. My concern is wearability and I do know that irregardless of how one cares for their rings, diamonds can get loose, prongs can pull back, etc. I currently have a pronged princess cut with 4 tapered baguettes and 2 rounds. The prongs are always yanking at my clothes or hair. Its just the way it is. Now, I get the ring checked every 2-3 months at a local jeweler cuz I am near him often but even he said it is just the way it is. There is no perfect solution and I am aware of that...

Oh...this isn''t easy...
emsad.gif

DonaBella

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/16/2005 9:22:25 PM
Author: allycat0303
DeannaBana,

Well...... I have a prong set eternity band

And as you already know, I had a fiasco with my pave ring.

All I can say is that I''m probably never doing pave again (unless my boyfriend wins the lottery and I have endless money to toss around).

I am SUPER careful with my rings. A jeweler looked at my eternity band (after 2 + years of wear) and couldn''t believe that my ring was 2 years old.

That being said, my pave ring, I wear it to class. That''s it. I don''t run my hands through my hair, and at the end of class, I push the stones behind the claw prongs back into the halo, they have a tendency to move up. And as soon as class is done, I go home and put the ring back into the jewelery box. And the sad part is that I''m not even exaggerating
20.gif

Although I''m sure pave can be secure, but with all the issues I''ve had (and heard about recently) I would go with prong set. My eternity band, worn right next to my pave band has almost identical sparkle.
Ally, I feel SO bad for you!!!
emcry.gif
I also appreciate your situation. I did find out alot about the different kinds of pave, which I think has added to my frustration. I need to see the pronged set again and try it on and then decide. I am doing that tomorrow...

Thanks for sharing...
emembarrassed.gif

slammie

Shiny_Rock
Deanne, how about this precision set on the right of the pic? They are a bit harder to find but it looks really pretty plus it''s prong set.
click here

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like that Precision Set ring a lot and I know GOG carries the line.

mepearl53

Shiny_Rock
Trade
DB

We have sold dozens of these Jaffe rings and zero problems. It''s a tank and will hold up as well as any ring made.

DonaBella

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/17/2005 3:27:43 PM
Author: slammie
Deanne, how about this precision set on the right of the pic? They are a bit harder to find but it looks really pretty plus it''s prong set.
click here
Slammie, I really, really like the precision set on the right. I would probably be more comfortable with the prongs 3/4 around the shank rather than all the way around however...You know, I am going to check and see if maybe I can find a precision set retailer somewhere close to me...maybe Newport Beach.

Thanks for pointing this set out to me...I did check their website and they have amazing ring styles.
emwink.gif

DonaBella

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/17/2005 3:43:45 PM
Author: mepearl53
DB

We have sold dozens of these Jaffe rings and zero problems. It''s a tank and will hold up as well as any ring made.
Thanks, Bill, for your advice. Quite honestly, I had been going back and forth looking at YOUR site and YOUR pave rings--which are beautiful BTW...
emsmilep.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
My rings look similar to the Precision set ones on the right...it''s a little more metal but they are safer. I''d check out the A.Jaffe and Precision set as well.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results