shape
carat
color
clarity

Promise Ring Diamond

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mr.sparkles

Rough_Rock
I''m currently in the process of getting a promise ring with 1-5 diamonds about .10ct or less from a local store in the mall. I''m wondering if we should ask for grading reports or some sort of specs on the diamonds. It seems hard to believe that they would just sell us diamonds without showing some sort of info.... but who knows?? I plan to ask them the next time I go looking but until then, does anybody have any information to ease my mind?? Any reply would be much appreciated! TIA.
1.gif

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
It''s highly unlikely you could really get any grading report from a maul store, unless it''s sold as a certified stone. And for small stones like that, probably not going to happen.

If you want something small, get on the horn to Whiteflash. They can make your ring for you using high-quality and well cut stones for probably less than you can get it at the mall.

mr.sparkles

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your reply,
I have considered going online to buy but I live in Canada and after taxes and duties I don''t know how much I''d really be saving. Also, time-wise this is something I need fairly soon and the mall stores provide the convenience of having them ready for me on time.

If the mall store doesn''t give any information of the diamonds in the setting, how do we know that it is in fact, diamonds that we are getting? I don''t expect a huge report on the diamonds, but maybe just some general information (colour, clarity range?) I''ve seen some prices for smaller diamonds and they give colour and clarity:
http://www.tradeshop.com/master/melle.shtml

Would it be a possibility to get the set stones appraised elsewhere? Do appraisers even look at diamonds that small already in a setting?

This isn''t a HUGE purchase by any means but being a student, any purchase is important and I''d like to know what I''m getting. The ring will cost about $250.
This will be my first diamond purchase and a very cautious one at that. Very much a newbie still.

codex57

Brilliant_Rock
You wouldn't get a report. A report for one of those stones might cost more than the ring itself. Appraisal is gonna cost you a huge percentage of the ring as well.

You're just gonna have ot take the store's word for it. What? You say you're a bit uncomfortable trusting what they say or that they have no clue? That's why we tell you to buy from the reputable online stores.

mr.sparkles

Rough_Rock
I understand..Thanks a bunch. I''ll think about it for a while I guess.
26.gif

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Would you consider spending $25-30 (US$) for an idealscope? This way you''ll know for sure that the diamonds are well cut. . .you never know what the future holds and possibly this ring may become a wedding band or your GF may want to wear this ring on her right hand after you two become engaged so it''s worth being sure that the diamonds are of superiour quality to last a lifetime.

https://www.pricescope.com/idealscope_indx.asp

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results