shape
carat
color
clarity

Pro-choice, Small government Republicans... sound off!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

iluvcarats

Ideal_Rock
I am Jewish too, but not religious. I cherish the traditions, and teach them to my children, so I guess that makes me culturally Jewish. I am proud of my heritage. I agree that it all had to come from *somewhere*, I just don''t *buy* the creationism explanation.

SarahLovesJS

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/8/2008 11:53:32 PM
Author: diamondfan
Sarah and Luvs, that is tricky. I am not what I would consider very religious, I feel more spiritual but I do feel connected to Judaism.

That said, I am not sure where I think it all originated. Both evolution and creationism make sense to me. And to me, even if we evolved from something, where did that something evolve from or originate from? (if that makes sense...it all has to have started somewhere, and is it just cosmic coincidence or the hand of something much larger?) I think both sometimes, it is all too fantastic and incredible otherwise.

I agree with you..I think you expressed it better than I did. I can definitely see the clear path of evolution and don''t have a problem with it being taught in schools..but I am very spiritual as well..and I feel like there may have been some elements of creation in there that started everything in motion. I don''t really know 100%, but I''m not sure it''s my place to know.

iluvcarats

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/9/2008 12:01:29 AM
Author: SarahLovesJS
Date: 9/8/2008 11:53:32 PM

Sarah and Luvs, that is tricky. I am not what I would consider very religious, I feel more spiritual but I do feel connected to Judaism.

That said, I am not sure where I think it all originated. Both evolution and creationism make sense to me. And to me, even if we evolved from something, where did that something evolve from or originate from? (if that makes sense...it all has to have started somewhere, and is it just cosmic coincidence or the hand of something much larger?) I think both sometimes, it is all too fantastic and incredible otherwise.

I agree with you..I think you expressed it better than I did. I can definitely see the clear path of evolution and don''t have a problem with it being taught in schools..but I am very spiritual as well..and I feel like there may have been some elements of creation in there that started everything in motion. I don''t really know 100%, but I''m not sure it''s my place to know.

Sarah, I like the way you worded this. It makes a lot of sense to me. Spirituality *is* personal. It means so many different things to so many different people, but I think that there is the common denominator of hope in everyone. Maybe it''s not our place to know, but I think we should always question. It is how we learn.

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
I think one can make the argument for both, although, the facts would need to change a bit. I mean, even if we were the result of the "Big Bang", who lit the fuse? I mean, did it begin with "Atom" or "Adam"
17.gif
41.gif

Maybe something got Lost in Translation....
31.gif

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I too am sort of culturally a Jew more than anything. And I agree that while scientifically and historically and religiously it is fascinating to understand the origin of life, it really makes no difference, we are all here.

UCLABelle

Ideal_Rock
In a format similar to DF-

I am Catholic, and fairly religious, but I am pro choice.

In terms of domestic issues,I do believe in access to health care, have concerns for environmental protection and very much for educational access (I work in education), as well as educational choice.

In terms of international issues, I believe American should appear strong (but not "bullies") and I am a firm believer that, despite what many think, we should have a deadline in Iraq, but be sure we do a gradual withdrawal, and stay long enough to ensure a degree of security for those in Iraq.

I could not agree with DF more with her quote "I want civil liberties protected but I also do not worry if a terrorist who killed people is unhappy with his cell. (I am not for torturing people, just against bending over backward to give criminals more rights than the victims)." And I personally have no problem waiting in an airport security line for an extra hour, to feel a little safer on the plane (although, I did once unknowingly bring a swiss army knife and pepper spray on the plane--I was living in NYC at the time- that went undetected, so I am not sure how safe I really feel!!!)

I too support the death penalty in certain cases. A crime close to my family is resulting in one. And being part of the victims family, I do not feel an ounce of regret.

I am strongly against extended welfare, unless in extreme circumstances. My husband grew up on it, and his father was fully capable of working, but opted not to. Abuse is a problem of the system.

Therefore, I consider myself (always have) a somewhat more social liberal, and a very fiscal conservative---I am a Republican, but I vote according to my own research and beliefs on each particular issue (not always agreeing with my party). I grew up with a social worker (and liberal) mom, and a business man (and very conservative) father. Life was very interesting during election time
31.gif

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gosh, maybe I''m a socially liberal Republican, because I agree with what what you wrote too Diamondfan
6.gif
!

I think it is in the best interests of everyone to have a government that is run effectively. Just like a household or a business, a government should be run so it is not in debt (except for short term circumstances like a war) with a balanced budget and prioritize it''s money to cover the basics before the extras. One of the biggest threats to our continued way of life is how vunerable our government and economy has become due to the ballooning deficit and possibility of on one hand it eating up our budget, or runaway inflation and devaluing of the dollar.

Just as health care can maximizing benefits and reduce mortality by using evidenced-based care, I think government should examine research to crunch the numbers (ala Freakanomics) to help make decisions. As many companies know, it is a fast paced world. The rules are changing. The type of foreign threats we are facing are changing (terrorist cells vs Soviet Bloc), while other things like global climate change, and the end of cheap oil have and will affect many facets of our society. I want a government that is in the 21st century that can adapt and respond to these changes.

MoonWater

Ideal_Rock

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very interesting. Thanks Moonwater.

MoonWater

Ideal_Rock
No problem. I just finished reading it and it was quite interesting. However, I now think it should have gotten it''s own thread instead of being posted here.

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/10/2008 10:06:48 AM
Author: MoonWater
I haven''t read the whole thing yet (I''m at work and shouldn''t even be here, shhh) but I read an excerpt that seemed interesting and I thought it may be appropriate in this thread:

What Makes People Vote Republican

http://www.edge.org/3rd_culture/haidt08/haidt08_index.html
This is a personal attack against Republicans, in the guise of offering information.

In the words of Yogi Berra, "It''s deja vu all over again."

brazen_irish_hussy

Ideal_Rock
This thread would make my grandfather proud. He was speaker for the state house for over 30 years and he was very much this kind of republican. He was ok with abortion as it was less unwanted children to feed on welfare and put into the system, etc. He left politics during the Regan era because he couldn''t stand his party being taken over by the "house crazies", the religious right.

Just remember you are what the republican party of Lincoln was, not Bush, and to vote with your common sense, which may not be the party that carries the name republican now.

luckystar112

Ideal_Rock
Haha...the way I read it is, "You can''t help the way those poor republicans think. They''re just paranoid and scared".
I''m going to read it again though...but that''s what immediately jumped out at me.
3.gif

MoonWater

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/10/2008 1:24:06 PM
Author: luckystar112
Haha...the way I read it is, ''You can''t help the way those poor republicans think. They''re just paranoid and scared''.
I''m going to read it again though...but that''s what immediately jumped out at me.
3.gif
Really? You read the entire thing and thats what you took away from it? I thought it gave some nice criticisms of Democrats and their false assumptions about Republicans. Oh well.
34.gif

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
For what it''s worth Moon, I found it interesting. I don''t know that the posters above read it all the way through though. I think he summed it up well:

"Unity is not the great need of the hour, it is the eternal struggle of our immigrant nation. The three Durkheimian foundations of ingroup, authority, and purity are powerful tools in that struggle. Until Democrats understand this point, they will be vulnerable to the seductive but false belief that Americans vote for Republicans primarily because they have been duped into doing so."

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/10/2008 2:30:36 PM

Haha...the way I read it is, ''You can''t help the way those poor republicans think. They''re just paranoid and scared''.
3.gif
Really? You read the entire thing and thats what you took away from it? I thought it gave some nice criticisms of Democrats and their false assumptions about Republicans. Oh well.
34.gif
Moon, I agree with you. The first part, where the writer was stating his own biases - almost turned me off, but I read the whole thing anyway and, personally, it made sense to me. I even signed up and starting taking the questionnaires referenced in the article. Turns out, I don''t think like a conservative or a liberal. It would be interesting to me to see how other Republicans in this thread would score.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/10/2008 3:15:17 PM
Author: LAJennifer
Moon, I agree with you. The first part, where the writer was stating his own biases - almost turned me off, but I read the whole thing anyway and, personally, it made sense to me. I even signed up and starting taking the questionnaires referenced in the article. Turns out, I don''t think like a conservative or a liberal. It would be interesting to me to see how other Republicans in this thread would score.
That''s what I got out of the beginning of it too, which is why I''m guessing that some of the other posters didn''t even get through most of it. At first I thought it was going to be completely liberally biased, from the way he started it, but it turns out that wasn''t the case. I didn''t take the questionnaires though. Maybe I will later.

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
Very interesting deduction in the article. At first I thought the same thing. I warned the people I sent it to that it was very long and to read dispassionately until they absorb the entire piece. It is very thought-provoking. I like the way that he was able to admittedly suspend his own bias to draw serious conclusions about why the two parties exist and why people are drawn to them.

Thanks MoonWater. I love that type of stuff. It expands my mind.
10.gif

ETA: Dang, I started taking the morality tests. These are rough....

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/10/2008 3:15:17 PM
Author: LAJennifer

Date: 9/10/2008 2:30:36 PM

3.gif
34.gif
Interesting article.

And Koreans eat dogs.
3.gif

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
Hahaha, I was thinking the same thing, but then I remembered that we eat all sorts of random animals too. I wonder who decided that it was okay to eat a pig and a cow, but not a horse, dog or cat. It must be the domestication factor, otherwise we really might be tempted to eat our young.
2.gif
Ewwwwwww

trillionaire

Ideal_Rock
36.gif
just happy this thread is thriving...

MoonWater

Ideal_Rock
Well I'm glad others got something out of the article. Psychologists, anthropologists, and sociologists (I'm sure it's more but these are the fields I've studied) have a way of being more objective because they constantly have to force their bias away in order to properly do their jobs. That's one of the reasons why I'd like to stay in some other country beyond a vacation. Be force to rely on another's culture to get through and see how it changes my perspective both there and at home. Hopefully I'll be able to do it soon.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/11/2008 2:05:45 AM
Author: miraclesrule
Hahaha, I was thinking the same thing, but then I remembered that we eat all sorts of random animals too. I wonder who decided that it was okay to eat a pig and a cow, but not a horse, dog or cat. It must be the domestication factor, otherwise we really might be tempted to eat our young.
2.gif
Ewwwwwww

Miracles, off topic but I have often wondered that. Why we have dogs as pets and would never think twice about eating a cow or a chicken? Who declared this animal is eating material and that one not? So cultural and interesting to think about.

Anna0499

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/16/2008 10:45:41 PM

Date: 9/11/2008 2:05:45 AM
Author: miraclesrule
2.gif
Ewwwwwww

Miracles, off topic but I have often wondered that. Why we have dogs as pets and would never think twice about eating a cow or a chicken? Who declared this animal is eating material and that one not? So cultural and interesting to think about.
It's definitely cultural and need-based in many countries. I get so
29.gif
when I hear the jokes about Asians eating dogs and cats, etc. Yes, it happens, but it's not an everyday thing and it's certainly not the norm. Just because people of one culture create bonds with certain species of animals doesn't mean they are off limits to be considered a food source to others; doesn't make any people more "civilized" or "third world" than the other. I believe social construction is one of, if not the, most powerful influence upon which one bases his/her world view.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results