shape
carat
color
clarity

Private Practice???

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

onedrop

Ideal_Rock
did anyone watch "Private Practice" last night? If so...reviews???? Is it worth watching? I was out during the time it aired and forgot to record it.

Jaders731

Brilliant_Rock
I watched it!!

I have to say.. I went into it.. not expecting much because I didnt like the pilot.. but I must admit that it was good.. made me chuckle.. and made me tear up a little.. (not as much as Grey''s does.. )

I think its worth a watch.. I enjoyed it.. I do think its going to take a couple more episodes to convince me that its gonna stay around a while...

1.gif

Erin

Ideal_Rock
They do that same quick bantering where the guy says something funny and three people know to say "focus" at the same time. That seems too similar to other medical based shows out there. But, it did capture my attention and there were multiple story lines happening. I''d watch it again.

CrookedRock

Brilliant_Rock
I watched it too! I did like it!... It was cute and funny. It''s a good cast so I''m going watch fora ahile and see what happens. I''m a huge fan of Grey''s Anatomy, and I loved her in it!

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dear Onedrop,
I decided after watching it I did not like it, although I shed some tears too, (who wouldn''t when a child dies and the mother can''t get over it.) The actress who used to play Judging Amy was her usual self, acting indecisive and , to me, little girlish. The whole show didn''t seem based in reality, for example,; a new doctor shows up and all the partners but one doesn''t know she''s coming and the new doctor gives a monologue at the end telling them all she refuses to leave because she is so great as a doctor.
Its not the worst show, but not for me.
Thanks,
Annette

onedrop

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the reviews everyone! Looks like I will have to at least give it a chance. I really wondered if the Addison character could carry an entire show, but it sounds as if you all think it works. I am curious to see for myself how that Addison lead will work. I really like Taye Diggs so that is another reason I planned to watch.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
TOTALLY MEH to me.

For one thing: PREPOSTEROUS. What practice can survive on a doctor seeing ONE patient a day??? Even if it is a delivery? What kind of crazy salary cut did she take moving TO La from uh SEATTLE?? When her salary NOW is enough to support a beach front HOUSE in MALIBU!! Guess that one patient you''re seeing must be really sick & really rich???

I hated that they switched actresses in the role of Addison''s best friend (the girl from Alias was much more likeable) ... and all the dancing around naked stuff reminded me WAY too much of ALLY MCBEAL.
20.gif
The Ninties called -- they want their estrogen-soaked dramedy back!

But did anyone else notice this:

Grey''s "Chief" predicting Addision will be "back in six months" or something like that. HA!! That''s covering all bases Shondra Rhimes! When this gets pulled from the schedule after four episodes they can write Addison back in over THERE. For goddsake Kate Walsh needs the $$ -- what with that new fake husband to support.
20.gif

FWIW ... did kind of like REAPER & CHUCK .... mostly for the floppy, slacker Jim Halpert copy-cat casting.
3.gif

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
meh for me too. I didn''t like the pilot trick/switch they did last season on greys, but i don''t watch anything else on wed. night in that time slot so probably will watch again. But won''t record it and plan to be home just to watch it. I hope she goes back to grey''s where she should have stayed to begin with IMO. Sooo looking forward to Grey''s tonight though...

Erin

Ideal_Rock
Was the last episonde where Cristina was getting her wedding dress cut off?

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
It''s not a big secret that I love Addison, so I really wanted to like the pilot...and ended up hating that. It''s interesting Deco - they replaced the girl from Alias because she did not test well with audiences. I happened to agree with them - I didn''t really like her on this show. I like her replacement better, although I still think there''s someone even better out there somewhere.

Overall I thought the show was WAY BETTER than I was expecting after seeing that atrocious pilot. It still has some growing pains to go through I think, but I''m more hopeful about it after seeing last night''s episode than I was after seeing the pilot, which almost made me not even bother to see how the series would be. I''ll keep watching and see how it goes.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/27/2007 11:53:09 AM
Author: decodelighted
For one thing: PREPOSTEROUS. What practice can survive on a doctor seeing ONE patient a day??? Even if it is a delivery? What kind of crazy salary cut did she take moving TO La from uh SEATTLE?? When her salary NOW is enough to support a beach front HOUSE in MALIBU!! Guess that one patient you're seeing must be really sick & really rich???
While I hear what you're saying, there are a lot of things on other shows that are totally preposterous as well - I mean, everyone slept with EVERYONE on Grey's. That was a little redonk. Also, Addison came from NY first, where it is likely she was making much more bank than in Seattle...so that could also be an explanation for the dough. I guess I just don't think it's AS preposterous as you do.
2.gif
Though I think the whole holistic practice thing is kinda wacky.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree with FG, I mean realistically, who could disarm a nuclear weapon with toothpaste, scotch tape, and a sport sock?

FG, I used to always picture you as Kate Walsh (because of your old avatar). LOL!

BriBee

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/27/2007 12:48:56 PM
Author: FireGoddess

For one thing: PREPOSTEROUS. What practice can survive on a doctor seeing ONE patient a day??? Even if it is a delivery? What kind of crazy salary cut did she take moving TO La from uh SEATTLE?? When her salary NOW is enough to support a beach front HOUSE in MALIBU!! Guess that one patient you''re seeing must be really sick & really rich???
Another thing about Addison''s money...she has a trust fund, so she most likely comes from a wealthy family. When she and Derek were finalizing the divorce, the lawyer says: "so, except for Addison''s trust fund, everything will be split down the middle." Also, it seemed like they had a lot of property (NY and Hamptons) and stocks etc...as a couple so the $$$$$ has been there for a while.

As for my review, I''ll have to second (or third or fourth) the "MEH" vote. I found myself fast forwarding towards the end. I really wanted to like it, and there''s not much else I watch on Wednesdays, but I''m not loving the show. I think I will watch it again, but I''m not planning my night around it (like I might do for say, The Hills or Grey''s
9.gif
)
To be honest, I didn''t even notice the switch for Naomi''s character, and I found most of the plot lines to be implausible. I know this can be said for most TV shows, but I just wasn''t buying any of it. I also felt like there were just too many unrelated story lines, it was all over the place.

I really love Addison, but I want her back on Grey''s, I''ll miss seeing her in tonight''s episode
39.gif

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/27/2007 12:48:56 PM
Author: FireGoddess
While I hear what you''re saying, there are a lot of things on other shows that are totally preposterous as well
True .. but I think what *really* bugged me about this particular flavor of wrong was its pollyannaish tone about medicine. Coming at a time when there''s such angst & debate & drama around the healthcare system (if you can call it a system) in America.

Oh - that''s the answer ... one patient a day. INTIMATE medicine. For the SUPER-WEALTHY. So trust fund doctors can have the rest of the day free for dancing NAKED??? AIIIGHHH!!!!!!

I hate preachy tv. I hate WEST WING & STUDIO 60 & BOSTON LEGAL and all of that ridiculous moralizing bunk.

What I love: THE OFFICE, THE HILLZZZZ, 30 ROCK, and silly dance/singing contests
3.gif

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
meh to me three
5.gif

snlee

Ideal_Rock
Meh for me too but I'll continue to watch the show and give it a shot. Regarding the switched actress, no wonder! I was thinking to myself that she didn't look like the same girl and I thought the girl from Alias was on this show. But it didn't occur to me that they switched actresses. I don't really like that character much, at least not yet.

I am sooo looking forwards to Grey's tonight!!! I wish Addison stayed on Grey's.

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
TOTALLY MEH to me.

I hated that they switched actresses in the role of Addison''s best friend (the girl from Alias was much more likeable) ... and all the dancing around naked stuff reminded me WAY too much of ALLY MCBEAL.
20.gif
The Ninties called -- they want their estrogen-soaked dramedy back!

But did anyone else notice this:

Grey''s ''Chief'' predicting Addision will be ''back in six months'' or something like that. HA!! That''s covering all bases Shondra Rhimes! When this gets pulled from the schedule after four episodes they can write Addison back in over THERE. For goddsake Kate Walsh needs the $$ -- what with that new fake husband to support.
20.gif

FWIW ... did kind of like REAPER & CHUCK .... mostly for the floppy, slacker Jim Halpert copy-cat casting.
3.gif
Well, tell us how you really feel, Deco!
31.gif
I must admit, I wasn''t too impressed. It seemed sloppy, contrived, annoyingly cutesy, and -- and -- well, kinda crappy. Tim Daly (whom I adore) is wasted here. A lot of pretty people with nothing to do but overact (or underact in some cases).

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/27/2007 1:01:10 PM
Author: Hudson_Hawk

FG, I used to always picture you as Kate Walsh (because of your old avatar). LOL!
OMG - if only!!! I wish! LOL.
5.gif

BriBee

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/27/2007 1:38:25 PM

What I love: THE OFFICE, THE HILLZZZZ, 30 ROCK, and silly dance/singing contests
3.gif
The Office starts tonight too! I totally forgot about that in my Grey''s Haze
9.gif

Now I remember why I LOVE Thursdays in the fall!!!!

onedrop

Ideal_Rock
So if I am reading right...the overall concensus is maybe worth it to check out the show, but there are a lot of "that doesn''t make any sense" moments. I guess I catch up with it next week.

Deco: you are SO funny! I really am tickled by the fact that you prefer The Hills. 30 Rock etc., straight entertainment w/o moralizing. I love it.
2.gif

I do plan to catch Grey''s tonight, although I missed the final half of last season. I love this time of year what with all the new programming!

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/27/2007 4:02:12 PM
Author: onedrop
Deco: you are SO funny! I really am tickled by the fact that you prefer The Hills. 30 Rock etc., straight entertainment w/o moralizing. I love it.
2.gif
HEE! I guess *I* like to do the moralizing MYSELF (at least when it comes to THE HILLZZZZ)
9.gif
When will a network pick up a show where *I* rag on all the other shows??? Oh wait -- it's called "Best Week Ever" ... and I'm not on it!
39.gif

ETA: In an admittedly extremely HYPOCRITICAL way -- I also like "straight Moralizing". i.e. NANCY GRACE. It's the "You got your moralizing in my entertainment .. no, you got your entertainment in my moralizing" that riles me up. Among other things
3.gif

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
Chalk up another "Meh" from me. It was way too quirky/heartstring-yanking for me. I did, however, decide that I want Addison''s haircut. And hair color. And trust fund.

Salon pretty much agrees with most of us: I like to watch.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Just watched it on ABC online. I was very meh.

I''ll probably watch it online when I have nothing better to do, only because I enjoy the whole baby theme. Ugh, I am FAR too young to be having babies on the brain. Darn hormones. Bad, BAD Musey!!
25.gif
(in my defense, it''s all my FI''s fault)

I felt like that first scene w/ Addison and Dr. Webber was awfully clunky. Really forced exposition. Blah. The rest of it wasn''t so bad, but that scene really set an unfortunate tone for the rest of the pilot.

onedrop

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/27/2007 4:06:00 PM

Date: 9/27/2007 4:02:12 PM
2.gif
HEE! I guess *I* like to do the moralizing MYSELF (at least when it comes to THE HILLZZZZ)
9.gif
When will a network pick up a show where *I* rag on all the other shows??? Oh wait -- it''s called ''Best Week Ever'' ... and I''m not on it!
39.gif

ETA: In an admittedly extremely HYPOCRITICAL way -- I also like ''straight Moralizing''. i.e. NANCY GRACE. It''s the ''You got your moralizing in my entertainment .. no, you got your entertainment in my moralizing'' that riles me up. Among other things
3.gif
Great minds think alike....I love to moralize on the "reality" shows, and for some reason my focus is always on the MTV shows, like "Laguna Beach," "Real World" etc. "Best Week Ever" is SO snarky and SO right down my alley.
9.gif

musey: after reading your post I now know I can watch Priv. Prac. on-line. Works for me. No commercials right?

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/27/2007 6:27:11 PM
musey: after reading your post I now know I can watch Priv. Prac. on-line. Works for me. No commercials right?
It''s three or four commercials, I think.

snlee

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/27/2007 6:31:36 PM
Author: musey

Date: 9/27/2007 6:27:11 PM
It''s three or four commercials, I think.
I think it''s three 60 second breaks. I just use that time as a break to get up and do something. I love how ABC has popular shows available to watch online. That way I don''t have to worry about missing shows.

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
Meh cubed...puhleeze! What a waste of Addison. Why did she turn into a simpering, little twit. She used to be awesome. And I''d like to know who decided to have that poor woman, in the department store, have an episode of PTSD trigger an episode of OCD
33.gif
I must stop now or I will trigger my own PTSD from watching this show
14.gif

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I didn''t love it. I found it very unrealistic and kind of boring
14.gif
I don''t why anyone wouldn''t WANT to deliever in a hospital. Anything can happen and in an emergency kinda screwed.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
It may get better. I watch a lot of old television pilots and some of them, back in the day, were not great. Stars get shifted around because of audience reactions, parts get recast...and some things work or click and some do not. I would give it a chance, since I love tv, but hey, it may not be amazing and she will be back in Seattle soon! Love Tim Daly though!

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m joining this kind of late but we DVR''d it and we watched it last night. I wasn''t crazy about but I WANT to love it as much as Grey''s, so I''ll keep watching it for now. Some things I thought were hard to believe:

1. In LA (a huge city), what doctor only sees one patient a day?
2. The receptionist said that it usually would take an ambulance about 20 minutes to arrive at the practice. What??? Okay, I understand there''s traffic but that seemes so stupid.
3. Addison took the job but didn''t seem to remember any of the details that Naomi had mentioned to her about the position. If I was moving far away to another state for a new job, I''d surely remember what my job would be like and what the company (or practice in this case) would have to offer.
4. Of all the places Addison moved to, it was stupid that OF COURSE she''d end up moving right next door to Sam.
5. In the last episode of Grey''s, Addison referred to Naomi as her best friend but Addison didn''t even know that Naomi and Sam had gotten divorced (or at least separated). I don''t know about you but my best friends and I keep in close enough contact to know what''s going on in each other''s lives.

Random thought:

I''m not crazy about any of the characters so far but it could just be that I''m not used to them yet. Isn''t the pediatrician the one that is always hooking up with women? Kind of creepy to me.

I didn''t really buy into the plots of ths pilot but I''ll give it another shot.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results