shape
carat
color
clarity

Princess vs Square H&A

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jmm

Rough_Rock
Now I have gone and done it,

Stumbling across these new Square Hearts and Arrows diamonds on GOG, I have now become unsure as to which would be a more beautiful stone. My girlfriend had indicated she wanted a square diamond, but did not mention necessarily that it had to be a princess cut.

What are the experts'' thoughts on the more brilliant and beautiful stone - princess or square H&A?

Thanks again,
JMM

ep6585

Brilliant_Rock
I''m not an expert by any means but I was in the same situation two years ago. After finding this website and comparing the different square-ish looking diamonds I ended up with a Jubilee from GOG. I just liked the way it looked and performed compared to princess cuts, HOF Dream, and the others that were available at the time. I might''ve picked a SqH&A if they were available.

GOG was great to work with and I''d buy from them again.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
if your gf truly wants a square, i would stick to that advice and get the princess. to me, the ''square'' h&a stones don''t look so very square once they''re set. there is a huge difference between any of the true square shapes and the cut-cornered squares with mock round optics. i think they are lovely in their own right, just not square.

Shiny42805

Shiny_Rock
I have a princess, and if I had to do it all over again, I''d get a SqH&A, because they''re INCREDIBLE.

indecisive

Brilliant_Rock
I would get the square H&A and try to find a setting that emphasizes it''s squareness lol. Anyone have any idea about what would be a good setting to help it look more square?

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Geez. that''s a toughie. But, I agree with Belle, if your gf expressed wanting a square stone, I''d stick with the princess. There is something so beautiful about a well-cut princess stone. The H&A square is going to have a facet pattern like a round, but in more of a square shape. Does she like that? Because the facet pattern of a princess is totally different from that. Plus, as previous poster said, once the H&A is set it may look more roundish, even if it is in a simple solitaire setting....good luck, and let us know what you decide...

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I agree with Belle and Dani,

All the new cuts with H&A are basically just rounds with a square-ish shape. On top of that, they carry a hefty price-premium.

Live long,

princessv

Brilliant_Rock
I agree with getting a princess if thats what you GF wants. If she likes rounds and princess as well a Square H&A would be a nice compromise.

I too have a Jubilee set in 4 prongs and I''m tired of everyone mistaking it for a cushion! (not that I don''t love cushions
31.gif
)

AsscherGirl

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/11/2006 3:17:42 PM
Author: princessv
I agree with getting a princess if thats what you GF wants. If she likes rounds and princess as well a Square H&A would be a nice compromise.

I too have a Jubilee set in 4 prongs and I''m tired of everyone mistaking it for a cushion! (not that I don''t love cushions
31.gif
)

I also agree with getting what your GF wants - but chances are she has no idea what a Square H&A or a Jubilee is (unless she secretly surfs Pricescope while you''re not looking). I''d somehow give her a chance to look at all 3 and see if she has a preference possibly!

Princessv: That''s funny people mistake your jubilee for a cushion. Everyone mistakes my square h&a for a Princess!
20.gif

P.S. A well-cut Princess is YUMMY!

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Tough call, but the safer choice would be going with the princess. All the other squarish stones really don''t look like perfect squares when they''re set.

princessv

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/11/2006 4:03:59 PM
Author: *~*Danielle*~*

Date: 1/11/2006 3:17:42 PM
Author: princessv

31.gif
)

I also agree with getting what your GF wants - but chances are she has no idea what a Square H&A or a Jubilee is (unless she secretly surfs Pricescope while you''re not looking). I''d somehow give her a chance to look at all 3 and see if she has a preference possibly!

Princessv: That''s funny people mistake your jubilee for a cushion. Everyone mistakes my square h&a for a Princess!
20.gif

P.S. A well-cut Princess is YUMMY!
Danielle well most jewelers mistake it for a cushion (I had to try to get my ring resized) other people just kinda gawk at it and I''ve even had some rude people ask me if it was real
20.gif
since its so sparkly. Hehe well this weekend I''m finally get my ring reset! Woohoo to show the true octagon type shape can''t wait!!

I also agree a well-cut Princess is super YUMMY! Jmm have you checked out AGS 0 Princesses???
30.gif
(those carry a little premium too right?)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with Danielle, the GF probably only knows of the princess cut. I really like the more rounded corners of the H&A square better than the princess and think it''s popularity may out-live the princess in the long run. I''d choose the square H&A, square brilliant, a gorgeous asscher, or a cushion if I were wanting a square stone (and yes, I''d love one!). Here are some nice pictures:

http://www.goodoldgold.com/

researcher

Ideal_Rock
While I like the looks of the pseudo-square stones, there is NOTHING like a true princess. If your GF is someone who is always drawn to straight lines/clean edges, she will most likely prefer a princess. As others have stated, the facet pattern of the princess is unique--it draws your eye to the center.

Also, I disagree that the square H&A and similar stones will outlive princess cut stones. If you pay attention, you'll see that the majority of people who prefer rounds are the people who prefer the rounded corners of the alternative squares. IMO princess cut stones are here to stay, along with rounds, cushion cuts, ovals, marquise, and emerald cut stones. The others are a modern take on a classic design.

BTW, did you know that Brian from WF is working on ACA princess cut diamonds? I think he will be releasing them in February. You might want to contact WF to see if you can get one early!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay, I admit it. I love them all. I''d like all of the above including a princess!

indecisive

Brilliant_Rock
" If you pay attention, you''ll see that the people who prefer rounds are the people who prefer the rounded corners of the alternative squares."

Not necessarily. My friends, my boyfriend, and I all really like the square H&A and such and none of us have ever liked round cuts. I think it has to do with the facts that our mothers had round stones and we want something different but still like the sparkle that comes with it. At one point very early on I thought I might want a princess but it just seems like everyone has them and I am worried that platinum/wg with a princess cut will be thought of as SO 2000s the way we think of 80s styles. But it is all personal preference. I think no matter what shape you pick you will find a great ring with advice from all these great PSers!

researcher

Ideal_Rock
My mistake! I also tend to clump rounds, cushions, asschers, etc. which I know I shouldn''t, but I do. I just meant that MOST of the people I know who prefer the rounded corners on squares are people who don''t like princesses to begin with
1.gif

Are there really that many people with princess cut stones out there? I only know of 2 people with them. My friends tend to get rounds, pears, and emerald cut stones. I wonder if it''s a size thing (my friends with emerald cut stones all have 4+ct stones, friends with pears tend to have 2-3ct stones, and my friends with rounds tend to have 1-2.5ct stones).

indecisive

Brilliant_Rock
I think of it as kind of an age thing. I am about to graduate from college and I know 7 people with princess cut rings (and then some who are going to buy their gfs princess cuts) in my group of friends/acquaintances. But then again there is a reason they are so popular. Although I admit I wanted one first because my nickname is Princess
2.gif

researcher

Ideal_Rock
It must be a generational thing. I''m only 29, but most of my friends are older. Also, I spend most days with senior executives so I see e-rings on people who''ve been married for 25+ years--not many people who are newly engaged.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results