shape
carat
color
clarity

Princess Measurement vs Round Measurement

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

earn

Rough_Rock
I was comparing round cut and princess cut and had a question about the measurement.
If both diamond has a same measurement, say 5.7x5.7x4, would both diamond look pretty similar in size?

The reason i''m asking this question is i saw a 1.2 carat princess with about 5.8x5.7x4 and i saw a 1.0 carat round with about 6.5x6.5x4. So by looking at this measurement can i say that the 1.0 carat diamond will look bigger?

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
If you compared a 1 carat princess and a 1 carat RB (both well cut), the RB would have larger dimensions (about 6.5) and look larger to your eye.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
of course there are many factors that would contribute to the final product, but to give you an overall idea of the measurement comparison....
here is a graphic of a princess 5.8x5.7x4 compared to a round 6.5x6.5.4

sizedsquareround.jpg

cinnabar

Shiny_Rock
A well-cut square would usually be deeper than a well-cut round, for the same carat weight. If both weigh 1.0ct, the round would have, say, 60% depth and the princess, say, 70%.

That''s why asschers look small for their carat weight, they have to be cut deep in order to achieve the "looking into a bottomless well" effect which makes them attractive. If you really love the look of a square diamond, you may have to compromise somewhere else (ie color or clarity) to get a size that looks big enough for a fixed budget.

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 12/18/2005 3:14:26 PM
Author: cinnabar
A well-cut square would usually be deeper than a well-cut round, for the same carat weight. If both weigh 1.0ct, the round would have, say, 60% depth and the princess, say, 70%.
You are right, but you are not right.

Well-cut squares are indeed cut slightly deeper than rounds. But you cannot compare depht-percentages, since in a round it is a percentage of the average diameter, while in any fancy shape, it is a percentage of the smallest diameter.

In princess-cuts, a depth of 75% is around 63% if it would be a percentage of the average diameter.

Also, depth and spread have no direct relationship in princess-cuts.

Live long,

RADIANTMAN

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Date: 12/18/2005 1:27:05 PM
Author:earn
I was comparing round cut and princess cut and had a question about the measurement.
If both diamond has a same measurement, say 5.7x5.7x4, would both diamond look pretty similar in size?

The reason i''m asking this question is i saw a 1.2 carat princess with about 5.8x5.7x4 and i saw a 1.0 carat round with about 6.5x6.5x4. So by looking at this measurement can i say that the 1.0 carat diamond will look bigger?
A princess cut measuring 5.7 x 5.7 has a geometric visual surface area of 32.49 (l x w).
A round diamond measuring 6.5 mm has a gemoetric visual surface area of 33.18. pi r squared)
The differential is small, so the two diamonds will look approximately the same size.

earn

Rough_Rock

Which cut will I have a better chance getting the bigger looking diamond on a fixed budget and and fixed quality? I went to the mall with my girl friend and 1 carat princess with about somewhere in 5.5x5.5x4 looked too small on her finger. she tried on a 1.5 carat and looked really nice but i don''t think i could afford that. I saw some 1.2 carat princess with apporx. 5.9~6 x 5.9~6 x 4 measurement. Would this be a better choice or should i look into finding a round one?

BTW, why are the mall stores so shady? i saw 1 carat princess with I color, I1, for like 5~6k. Couldn''t believe how much they were over-priced. they were telling me some of the dimonds are candian cut and some of them are belgium cuts.

I''m so glad i found this website. I could have been a sucker and bought those horrible diamonds at a very high price.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
diamonds are sold by carat weight. there are *huge* variations in the dimensions of different stones within the same range of carat weight. since diamonds are priced by carat weight and most people shop by saying ''i want a 1ct. diamond'' there is a big push to get stones produced at a certain carat mark (3/4ct...1ct...etc) no matter what the dimensions are. a poorly cut stone will make the ''carat mark'' but it will do so at the expense of brilliance and scintillation. if size is your only criteria, you need to be looking at dimensions. find a diamond that will be big for it''s carat weight.
personally, i think a well cut diamond of any size is far more impressive than a bigger, poorly cut stone. that said, a well cut round is much easier to find than a well cut princess.
..you''ll have to decide what is most important to you
2.gif

best of luck in your search!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/21/2005 12:47:58 AM
Author: earn

Which cut will I have a better chance getting the bigger looking diamond on a fixed budget and and fixed quality? I

Marquise, I'd bet.
Rounds are allot more popular though... and good luck finding a well cut marq (sad thing)
7.gif

More realistically (unless you guys discover you like marquise cut diamonds, of course), you could go for a shape that is both more popular and less expensive per carat than the ever trendy rounds and princess cuts. Say.. a radiant. It could also be square, but a rectangular one should look larger on hand.

My 2c

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thought you may find this interesting... the examples have been picked out of diamond list (not hypothetical measurements) keeping the grades and budget constant and taking a relatively good spread for each shape.

shapesandsizesII.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results