shape
carat
color
clarity

Princess - Is this an ideal cut?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

fadeout31

Rough_Rock
Hi - I''m about to purchase a princess cut stone that, based on my research, looks like an ideal cut. But I''ve found it tough to find a solid definition of what an ideal princess cut should be (esp. around crown and pavilion angles and heights). So I''d like to ask the experts their opinion:

cts. 1.27
clarity: VS1
color: I
fluor: Very Faint
dim: 5.97 x 5.92 x 4.13mm
table width: 71%
depth: 69.5%
Girdle: Slt Thk
Cutlet: None
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent

Crown Angle: 59.5%
Crown Height: 12.0%
Pavilion Angle: 47.0%
Pavilion Depth: 54.0%

Also it''s a PGS cert, but from what I''ve read on pricescope, most people view the lab favorably. Also any thoughts on the fluorescence? Will it always be blue?
Thanks!

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
i won''t try and speculate on performance based on numbers or as to what may or may not be an ''ideal'' princess, but i will say that ags is the only lab with a standardized grading process for princess cuts and the designation of ideal.

JC

Shiny_Rock
Well, wheather or not the diamond is "ideal" is really subjective. Although, I can say that just from the numbers alone it looks like it would be an eye-pleaser. It''s also pretty rare to come across a princess cut that has "EX" polish and symmetry ratings. The "faint" fluorescence won''t be an issue at all. In actuality, you would only see the effect of that fluorescence rating under close up black light conditions. All in all I think that you have a nice diamond there. Good luck....

Capitol Bill

Shiny_Rock
"Ideal" is a term used too frequently in the industry as a descriptor for all kinds of goods. I believe most people around here would accept the AGS standard of ideal. In the case of round brilliants and princess cuts there''s an established AGS ideal. So if a princess cut has received the AGS''s top grade of "0" (zero) for the categories of ''Light Performance'', ''Proportion Factors'' and ''Finish'' I''d call it "ideal." Ex/Ex is GIA''s top grade for ''Polish'' and ''Symmetry'' (and they go no further). The AGS groups polish & symmetry under the category of ''Finish''. Would a GIA Ex/Ex attain the AGS''s highest grade for ''Proportion Factors'' and ''Light Performance''? Maybe, maybe not.
Bill Scherlag

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results