carat
color
clarity

Princess cuts are vintage now, right?

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So I can stay in this forum, right? :)
and I really have no real life experience with princess cuts, except for casually looking at others ER rings in the 80-90’s therefore am asking for some help and opinions.

Can anyone chime in on what I’m seeing here?
B2617B2E-2657-4FA5-AAF1-32DD73C25168.jpeg
would this be a huge negative feature for someone that is a princess cut fan?

This ring is a bit under 3.5 carat total weight - if that matters in perception.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am no expert but I have owned two princess cuts. The second was much better cut than the first and had a lot of sparkle, it did have a distinctive “X” in the center but not this darkness you circled.

I found a picture, sorry it’s a bit blurry but I wasn’t great at taking pictures back then. Someone on PS owns a really nice princess, I think @jbake? Hopefully she doesn’t mind the tag and can weigh in here.

D09EBE79-3576-4636-939D-FC303D0290EF.jpeg

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks @YadaYadaYada
The more opinions the merrier :)

I’m shying away from rocky talky on this because no lab report, and of course no ASET available.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks @YadaYadaYada
The more opinions the merrier :)

I’m shying away from rocky talky on this because no lab report, and of course no ASET available.

I gotcha, is this something you’re considering buying? If so if there is a decent return policy then maybe it would be worth checking out.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I gotcha, is this something you’re considering buying? If so if there is a decent return policy then maybe it would be worth checking out.
Yes! You are absolutely right about seeing in person. I just don’t know enough/haven’t read that much here (except the number of chevrons or ASET info) about ‘flavors’ in these cuts that would assist what I’m looking at. After that I’d feel more comfortable making a personal opinion judgement on what I see.

The price point it’s at - compared to others on the market - I’m feeling it’s lower color than stated, or maybe there’s something else going on?

It’s noticeably larger than my 2cttw five stone carre, and I’m finding the tank like construction of that comes with an easy carefree wear compared to daintier rings that’s pretty tempting and freeing :lol: . But am unsure if it’s enough of a difference in overall look - both size and the different cuts - to justify having both.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
It looks fairly typical but better than some for a non-ideal princess cut.
Your seeing some leakage and some obstruction.
Basicaly the dark areas inside the inner box you drew are obstruction(blue in ASET) and the dark areas between the 2 boxes are leakage.
The X that looks grayish is probably green in ASET.

edit: Im busy right now so if you want to ask me something, please quote this or use @Karl_K to page me.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks fairly typical but better than some for a non-ideal princess cut.

This is perfect- thank you!
And I hope your current busy, is a fun good one :)

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
This is perfect- thank you!
And I hope your current busy, is a fun good one :)
Your welcome.
Cleaning, my Wifey is coming back tue from seeing her mom so Iv got to clean up a bunch of stuff and finish my honey do list and other projects. lol

jbake

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the tag & compliment @YadaYadaYada!

I didn’t pick out my princess & I think we ended up with a pretty one just by virtue of luck. So I’m not sure I can offer any advice. I definitely subscribe to the idea of your eyes like it, it’s probably good, especially if you have the opportunity to check it out in a multitude of different lights & environments.

Mine seems to have fewer “chevrons,” so fewer of the thinner facets. But in bright/direct light, the middle can still go dark. I’m attaching a couple pictures, one in indirect light where you can see the middle facets, and one in direct light where it goes dark, in case that helps with anything. It is 1.22ct, 6.1x6.1mm.

I can imagine that five stone packs a nice sparkly punch!

B2A5974E-933B-49F3-9A8D-90EECEF119AF.jpeg

5C28E9C5-359F-4563-93A0-D757DAD11FDB.jpeg

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the tag & compliment @YadaYadaYada!

I didn’t pick out my princess & I think we ended up with a pretty one just by virtue of luck. So I’m not sure I can offer any advice. I definitely subscribe to the idea of your eyes like it, it’s probably good, especially if you have the opportunity to check it out in a multitude of different lights & environments.

Mine seems to have fewer “chevrons,” so fewer of the thinner facets. But in bright/direct light, the middle can still go dark. I’m attaching a couple pictures, one in indirect light where you can see the middle facets, and one in direct light where it goes dark, in case that helps with anything. It is 1.22ct, 6.1x6.1mm.

I can imagine that five stone packs a nice sparkly punch!

B2A5974E-933B-49F3-9A8D-90EECEF119AF.jpeg

5C28E9C5-359F-4563-93A0-D757DAD11FDB.jpeg

Thank you for chiming in! Your ring is gorgeous :love:

I’m going to pass on the 5 stone. At this point it’s just me hoarding/not wearing and I don’t wish that.

If anyone else is interested and feeling mighty mighty froggy - it maybe may be a decent find. I think there’s definitely a risk tho.
Seller is new on Etsy with no feedback/sales - can’t really find them elsewhere at all - no GIA report.
3.43 ctw H @6.5k

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results