shape
carat
color
clarity

Princess cut: What have I learned? What else should I know?

NewDarkness

Rough_Rock
Hi all,
I've been lurking for a few weeks, trying to beef up my knowledge as I prepare for my purchase of an engagement ring! I don't know much (perhaps enough to get myself into trouble, haha) so I was hoping I could ask a few questions and confirm what I think I've learned. Sorry this is such a long post!

My girlfriend wants a princess cut. I've discovered that princess cuts have more potential to chip than some other cuts, and I'm afraid that she doesn't know this. I also learned that princess cuts appear smaller face up than rounds. With these two pieces of info, that I'm not sure she knows, I'm wondering if I should get her involved in the decision... it's a lot of money to get something she may not think is perfect. She might change her mind on what she wants if she knew these two things maybe?

How big of a deal is the chipping issue? Am I more worried than I need to be? I know I can get insurance, which seems like it would be maybe $200 or so per year (which will really add up quickly... would a repair just be cheaper?). I've read that I should look for a setting where the diamond sits lower, but honestly I don't even know what constitutes "low" in a setting to look for that.

Other than price and size, based on what I've read, I believe that getting an AGS0/ideal cut is going to be the most important factor in my selection, followed by color, then clarity. It seems that I should not compromise on the cut, and can compromise on both color and clarity (down to H maybe? and down to VS2?). I haven't seen them in person, but I'm pretty confident that I'll be color sensitive and it'll bother me forever to not have something pure white. And for clarity I suppose I won't care as long as it is not visible to the untrained naked eye.

Something that concerns me from my little amount of searching is that a lot of princess cut diamonds appear asymmetrical. Example: In the picture for this diamond (http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/princess-cut-loose-diamond-2192268.htm) the main "X" in the center of the stone seems to be slightly to the left of center. I've noticed this in several pictures. Is this normal? Is it just me or just the photo? Is that something that sets different qualities apart?

Lastly, I'm planning to go see them in a store sometime, but ultimately will probably buy from either WhiteFlash, BlueNile, or maybe JamesAllen - those seem to be the consensus picks on here. My girlfriend also really likes a lot of the rings at Costco (which just seems kind of funny to me... I mean, I love Costco, but a quality diamond ring there??). They don't seem to have as much info and only a GIA report (so no AGS0 rating if I understand properly). I'm not opposed to the idea, but I'm concerned the quality won't match some of the online stores.

Here are some of my criteria in case you happen to stumble upon anything that might match it -- I'd greatly appreciate any help that anyone is willing to offer. Thanks!

• Planning to spend between $10,000-$15,000 for the diamond+setting (could go above that if it was perfect but prefer not to)
  • Approx 1.5ct center stone (princess cut)
  • Very high quality cut (probably AGS0/ideal)
  • H+ color
  • VS2+ clarity
  • Size 7.5 platinum setting
  • Setting details: About .3-.5ct total of smaller diamonds around the sides of the band (not the 3 stone kind, but like 4-5 on each side of the center stone)

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
Re: Princess cut: What have I learned? What else should I kn

I will leave everything else to the experts except this: GET THE INSURANCE! It covers not only damage to the stone, but also loss or theft! If she loses her ring completely or if it is stolen, you'll regret not wanting to pay $200 a year when you have to dish out another $10,000 - $15,000!

jaebond

Shiny_Rock

How exactly would you plan to "repair" a diamond? There might be a little bit of asymmetry to a princess, mostly just because they usually aren't perfectly square (but to that point, round brilliants aren't perfectly round), but I don't think it will be anything noticeable. I don't notice anything off about the WF stone, and I feel like I can usually see those things. If I were going for a 1.5 ct princess, I would stick with either Good Old Gold or WF.

NewDarkness

Rough_Rock

sonnyjane|1339721054|3216518 said:
I will leave everything else to the experts except this: GET THE INSURANCE! It covers not only damage to the stone, but also loss or theft! If she loses her ring completely or if it is stolen, you'll regret not wanting to pay $200 a year when you have to dish out another $10,000 - $15,000!

Thanks for the advice sonnyjane -- I guess it isn't all that much considering I'd have to pay for the insurance for 50 years to even hit $10,000, and there is a lot that could happen to the ring in those 50 years.

jaebond|1339781143|3217024 said:
How exactly would you plan to "repair" a diamond? There might be a little bit of asymmetry to a princess, mostly just because they usually aren't perfectly square (but to that point, round brilliants aren't perfectly round), but I don't think it will be anything noticeable. I don't notice anything off about the WF stone, and I feel like I can usually see those things. If I were going for a 1.5 ct princess, I would stick with either Good Old Gold or WF.

jaebond, I don't know anything about jewelry repair, but I assumed they would kind of smooth out where the chip is at so it isn't as noticeable? Glad you don't see anything wrong with that WF stone, helps convince me that it is just me!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results