shape
carat
color
clarity

Princess cut studs?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

gti122

Rough_Rock
Hi guys!

I''ve been snooping around the forum for a few days now and I have to say my knowledge on diamonds has increased dramatically! Thanks to all!

My question is a frequently-asked one, but with a slight twist. I am looking to have a pair of princess-cut studs made for my GF, but I am on a tight budget. Would 0.5tcw in a thin bezel setting look ok or should I try to go for something like 0.7tcw? Would the size difference be noticeable? Most similar discussions I have read refer to round brilliant cuts and, as far as I understand, princesses have a smaller apparent size (is it spread?!) than RBs. Cut, clarity and colour aren''t that much of an issue, meaning that my jeweler and gemologist is a 100% trustworthy family friend (he''s practically raised me) and I will know exactly what I''m paying for. It''s just that having looked at a pair of loose .25ct stones (next to- I think- a pair of .15ct ones) I am not sure if the size would be ok.

Any feedback on the above, as well as on the setting (e.g. would the bezel setting reduce the sparkle of the diamonds?) would be greatly appreciated!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For once, I would think bezels should result in a more subtantial set - some like the look, some do not, but there is no detraction to bezels per se.

The size of these diamond will depend allot of the way they are cut: a pair of 75% deep prncesses will obviously not be as big as some with 65% depth and the same weight.

You may find this page on DCD worth a look (link) for the size / weight refference tables and quotes.

It is up to the seller to select these stones for brilliance - as far as I know, parcels of smaller stones like these come matched for size (precisely), color and clarity (within a given range) only. For example, a line up of quarter carat princesses may look like this:

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I guess one could pick a pair better matched and more brilliant than the average of the lot.
These were 0.25 cts G-I/VS1-SI1 (not that the gardes would show in such a photo) and $230 apiece.

25Line.JPG

gti122

Rough_Rock

Thanks for the info valeria101!!

I guess I will have to ask my jeweller to show me a whole batch of same size and color stones and then visually pick the brightest ones. Sound about right? Guess the size will depend on my finances, but if I can''t stretch to about .35ct for each, would you think that typically-cut .25ct princesses are "acceptable"?

Additionally, would one expect stones of .25ct size to come with GIA/AGS/equivalent certification? Looking around online, it seems that mostly .3ct and greater come with certificates.

Thanks again for everyone''s help!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/30/2004 9:42:30 AM
Author: gti122

[...] would you think that typically-cut .25ct princesses are ''acceptable''?

Additionally, would one expect stones of .25ct size to come with GIA/AGS/equivalent certification?

What "typically cut" means depends on what your jeweler''s supplier provides: it could be nice or not so nice... There is allot of variation, so I am not sure what "typical" is.

About the cert... well, anything can be certified, but if you do trust your jeweler, why bother? Even if the paper grades are one or two slots off, it would not make more difference than the cost of certification itself. Also, smaller size means that color grades are even moe subtle than 1-carat-ish, e-ring diamonds show them.

As long as these stones are brilliant and not visibly included (I think this means VS or better for this size), you may want to see for yourself if between D and J color there is any visible difference to talk about. Bezel settings will obviate color even further.

It would be nice to have a handful
2.gif
of little princess cuts to shift through and take your pick, especially if the whole parcel is ok. It''s an addictive sport though !
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results