shape
carat
color
clarity

Princess Cut pricing question

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jetmal

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hello,

ok, I got some pricing on princess cuts today.....

1.50 princess cut G in color, VS2 - $9200 - saw this one, beautiful...do not know % ''s
1.53 princess cut HI in color, I1- $7800 - did not see this one in person

then I looked up here on Pricescope with the stats of the second one, and I get figures
like $3-4,000.......so are the other a total rip off or what???

I am soooo confused!
Tina

Garysax

Shiny_Rock
I definitely wouldn''t get an I1, personally. It sounds like the place you''re going to has rather high prices...

Also, if you really liked the other one in person, then you should consider it. THAT SAID, I think you''d be better off looking at a bunch of diamonds, especially ones that you know are ideal cut (in good quality B+M retail stores, for example) so you have a better idea of what an ideal cut would look like and how the stone you''re looking at compares. Educate yourself first, then go in armed with the knowledge of what you like/don''t like, and what you can see and can''t see.

We don''t know any of the #s about cut so we have no idea what it looks like or how the cut is, the most important C of all. Even if we did have #s, it is a fancy so we probably wouldn''t have a perfect idea anyway--though we might be able to tell you if it''s *likely* to be a real stinker or winner. The only way to surely judge fancies is by the eye and to a lesser extent measuring light performance with an Idealscope or something.

jetmal

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
thanks for your reply....ok, I have read the tutorials, and I am still alittle confused....its alot to try to get to sink in in one or two nights!

so, if I am looking for approx. a 1.50 princess cut, what should I be looking for as far as the 4 C''s?? Is the HI color ok??? And you say I1 is not very good, so should I only be considering VS1-VS2???

One more question, lets say I purchase the setting from one jewelry store, and then I get the diamond from another store, or online.......where would you recommend I take it to have it set, is it expensive, and how does the warranty work then?

for example, if I bought everything at Kesslers, they would warranty everything, if the stone ever chipped, or fell out, etc....full replacement. if I haev someone else set the diamond, how does that work????

thanks
Tina

jetmal

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
hi,
is anyone able to help me out on this one?
thanks

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/12/2006 10:13:25 PM
Author: jetmal
thanks for your reply....ok, I have read the tutorials, and I am still alittle confused....its alot to try to get to sink in in one or two nights!

so, if I am looking for approx. a 1.50 princess cut, what should I be looking for as far as the 4 C''s?? Is the HI color ok??? And you say I1 is not very good, so should I only be considering VS1-VS2???
Hi Tina. Color and clarity are all about personal preference.

Color: Are you interested in a completely colorless diamond? One that faces up colorless, even if it has a bit of color visible from the side? Are you ok with a warmer look (not yellow, just not icy-white)?

Clarity: Do you want the diamond to be completely eye-clean or eye-clean in typical viewing conditions and distances or are you ok if there are inclusions visible?

Have you been out to see diamonds live and have an idea of these things? If you have, do you know what independent grading lab assigned the grades you were looking at?

jetmal

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi John,

I have been looking around for about 2 weeks now. I am not a person to get hung up on the grading necessarily.... I just want a nice large diamond, say 1.50-2.00 carats, that looks great to the naked eye. I dont know anyone who would scrutinize the diamond so closely, so that part I am not too worried about....just want one that looks great in a platinum or white gold setting.

I gues I need to print out, or memorize the grading system and take it with me????
Thanks
Tina

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/13/2006 2:54:08 PM
Author: jetmal
Hi John,

I have been looking around for about 2 weeks now. I am not a person to get hung up on the grading necessarily.... I just want a nice large diamond, say 1.50-2.00 carats, that looks great to the naked eye. I dont know anyone who would scrutinize the diamond so closely, so that part I am not too worried about....just want one that looks great in a platinum or white gold setting.

I gues I need to print out, or memorize the grading system and take it with me????
Thanks
Tina
Tina,

The Pricescope tutorial has several pages that will be useful to you.

If you're shopping live you can use your eyes to avoid getting hung up on grading. Be sure to view candidate diamonds out of the bright lights most retail stores use, as they're in place to improve apparent color, clarity and cut. When making live color determinations wear a neutral color like white, gray or black. View the diamond from the top and from the side against a white background.

For a good cost analysis you can bring the stats of the diamond back here and post them for review, or do a pricescope search to see what similar diamonds are selling for online. Be sure to get carat weight, color, clarity, depth % and table % as well as any other measurements that are available on each diamond. Also note the lab that issued the report (GIA, AGS, EGL-USA, IGI etc).

jetmal

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
John,

that was so helpful....THANK YOU!
I will get back to you with some stats.
thanks again
Tina

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results