shape
carat
color
clarity

Princess Cut Opinions

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Princess_Madness

Rough_Rock
Hi Everyone. I''m new to this forum, but I''ve been reading for a while. I''ve learned a lot (I think) and I''m getting ready to make a decision on a ring. I''m wondering about the 3 options below for the main Princess cut diamond. I''d love to hear some expert opinions on which one seems to be the best. What other information should I find out about these before making the decision? These diamonds are all on Blue Nile. They all have a GIA certification. Thanks in advance for your help.

Diamond #1
Carat weight: 0.57
Cut: Very Good
Color: D
Clarity: VS2
Depth %: 72.0%
Table %: 67%
Symmetry: Very good
Polish: Very good
Girdle: Medium to thick
Culet: None
Fluorescence: None
Measurements: 4.61x4.60x3.31 mm
Length/width ratio: 1.00
Price - $1835

Diamond #2
Carat weight: 0.53
Cut: Signature Princess
Color: G
Clarity: VS1
Depth %: 66.4%
Table %: 69%
Polish: Very good
Girdle: Slightly thick
Fluorescence: Faint
Measurements: 4.58x4.49x2.98 mm
Crown height: 10%
Length/width ratio: 1.02
Price - $1795

Diamond #3
Carat weight: 0.49
Cut: Very Good
Color: E
Clarity: VS2
Depth %: 68.3%
Table %: 68%
Polish: Excellent
Girdle: Thin to medium
Fluorescence: None
Measurements: 4.38x4.38x2.99 mm
Length/width ratio: 1.00
Price - $1340

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
hey p_m
35.gif
welcome to ps!

the first stone looks very promising. nice depth and table
2.gif
the other two are a bit shallow and may not be great performers. it would be great if you could get more information on them, but bn drop ships the vast majority of their stones, so they never see them. if you purchase from bn, you are limited to the information available on their site. best of luck!

Princess_Madness

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the info Belle. What other information could I ask from BN? What other online places might be better to buy from in this area?

Thanks again

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
you''re welcome pm. the other info that is extremely helpful are the crown/pavilion angles. you have to have the stone to get these numbers though, as they are not reported by gia. if bn happens to have this stone in stock, they can get you the information. if they don''t, it means it is a virtual stone and any vendor can bring it in and run measurements on it. try getting the info from bn first. otherwise, i would recommend having someone like www.whiteflash.com bring it in for inspection. they will run a sarin on it and take idealscope images for you.

Princess_Madness

Rough_Rock
Can anyone give me any other advice on finding the best quality princess cut diamond? What should I look for?

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
both are very nice pm. if pressed... i''d have to say like the first one.
2.gif

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I think that you have just brought forward two hidden treasures. However, you have to take into account that we have cut these, and therefore, we are biased.

I wonder, like you, how others will react to them.

Live long,

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/1/2006 3:11:29 PM
Author: Paul-Antwerp

Are you sure those are princess cuts? ''Thought these are supposed to be dull inverted pyramids with a couple of scratches on the tip of the pavilion. Otherwise known as the prefect way to cut diamonds with poor tilt brilliance. Seriously!

Btw. Belle, do you happen to have hint of what AGS''s guidelines are? (hoping your comment about depth is coming from there).
34.gif

Princess_Madness

Rough_Rock
Hmmm, I think I''m more confused now than when I started. Why are their so many different opinions if there are now AGS standards for princess cut diamonds? I know that some of this is subjective, but it seems to be all over the place on princess cuts. I''m running out of time.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
very nice

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 3/1/2006 5:44:41 PM
Author: valeria101

Date: 3/1/2006 3:11:29 PM

Are you sure those are princess cuts? ''Thought these are supposed to be dull inverted pyramids with a couple of scratches on the tip of the pavilion. Otherwise known as the prefect way to cut diamonds with poor tilt brilliance. Seriously!

Btw. Belle, do you happen to have hint of what AGS''s guidelines are? (hoping your comment about depth is coming from there).
34.gif
Valeria,

What do you mean here? Is this sarcasm, which we misunderstand?

Live long,

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/2/2006 1:55:54 AM

Are you sure those are princess cuts?
Valeria,

Oups... sorry for the unclear post... it is a lame attempt at humor. I meant to say that the optimized princess cuts are very different - in the good way - from any random pick among the ''usuals''.

I used to have a pretty bad impression about this cut, based on flat-looking examples of relatively low cut quality. In fact, before the discussion here about the new AGS0 standard for princess cuts, I had no idea this cut could actually be attractive. Probably due to the fact that I had paid little attention to this cut - just turned away from at any given time... until these new kind came in and changed the dismissive attitude.
38.gif

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock

34.gif
the only hint comes from studying paul''s cuts.
30.gif

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/2/2006 11:14:04 AM

Date: 3/2/2006 1:55:54 AM

Are you sure those are princess cuts?
Valeria,

Oups... sorry for the unclear post... it is a lame attempt at humor. I meant to say that the optimized princess cuts are very different - in the good way - from any random pick among the ''usuals''.

I used to have a pretty bad impression about this cut, based on flat-looking examples of relatively low cut quality. In fact, before the discussion here about the new AGS0 standard for princess cuts, I had no idea this cut could actually be attractive. Probably due to the fact that I had paid little attention to this cut - just turned away from at any given time... until these new kind came in and changed the dismissive attitude.
38.gif
What I like about this ''new world'' of Princess cuts is that it''s changed long-held paradigms and fresh approaches are happening.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 3/1/2006 11:34:24 PM
Author: Princess_Madness
Any opinions on this idealscope image. Personally I think it looks good.

http://www.elmyrservices.com/pictures/4260ids_copy_2.jpg

It shows a bright stone with good contrast and surprisingly little leakage for a princess. I also think it looks good, but I must in fairness state that I recognise that as one of Paul''s stones so I am not at all surprised. I would say that about this stone even were it one of BN''s but wish to point out my relationship to Paul so that there be no question of any hidden agendas.

Wink

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I am not understanding your comment. I can not tell if you are teasing or serious. If serious, what do you mean?

Wink

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 3/2/2006 11:14:04 AM

38.gif
Ahh, thank you for the clarification. I too did not used to think much of most princess cuts. Just every once in a while I got to see a pretty one. Now it is getting better, and I predict that sometime soon it will be VERY difficult to sell the older style dogs that were as you stated little more than lifeless lumps of crystallized carbon.

Wink

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
wink,
ana already explained this above.

eta: i see you found it
2.gif

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
Ooooh, Princess Madness, I LOVE that first infinity stone you linked. it is absolutely yummy. I, too, am not a fan of princess cuts. Those could change my mind.

shay

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
John,

You are quite correct. In the recent thread about "Interesting things from AGS class" (Something like that, I do not remember exactly) I spoke about Square Emerald cuts with 45% tables. It turns out there is an area where such stones not only have great brilliance but great dispersion, especially for a S.E. diamond. New light research is revealing many previously hidden areas of surprisingly great looking stones, some of which can be cut more cost effectively from some pieces of rough than a stone of traditional proportions.

I predict someday that a cutter can scan his unusual shaped diamond rough on the Sarin or Helium device and the software will not only give him pictures of traditional sizes and shapes to be cut from the stone, but also non traditional proportions that will produce stunning looking stones with better weght retention. These times, they are getting ever more exciting!

Wink

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results