shape
carat
color
clarity

Princess Cut Opinions Please

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

CJMD

Rough_Rock
My boyfriend ordered this princess cut http://www.goodoldgold.com/0_99ct_g_vs2_princess.htm. I realize the girdle is questionable but the seller said it was consistent and should be ok. Girdle aside, everything looks good to me. Opinions...advice?

Thanks!
CJMD

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
I think princess cuts are trickier to evaluate by the numbers than rounds, but that brilliancescope would certainly seem to indicate that your stone has good light return. I'll bet it will be a beauty! Don't forget to post pictures for us.

Allium

Rough_Rock
An extremely thin girdle on a princess is BAD BAD BAD. Ask them how many of the points are x-thn. If you''re determined to buy it anyway, I''d have them set it for you as well.

CJMD

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the info. As far as setting it goes, how does it work? For example, if we got a local jeweler to set the stone, what kind of protection, if any, do we have in case something happens? Would it be any different if we got the original vendor to set it?

MrBleeker

Shiny_Rock
You have a few options...

---------------------
NUMBER 1

As far as coverage DURING setting.. only 1 insurance company that I know of covers loose diamonds during setting.
That is Jeweler's Mutal (online).. and this is contingent upon several things.. 1) The setter of the ring must have a corporate insurance policy through Jeweler's Mutual.. and 2) YOU the consumer must have a personal jewelery insurance policy through Jeweler's Mutual as well... before you have it set (this requires an appraisal first).

If it were to break, JM would reimburse you the stone either by cash or replacement... and they would NOT seek reimbursement from the vendor / setter who broke it.

BUT.....and this is probably the majority of cases, if the setter was not insured by the corporate JM policies, then JM will get you a new stone, and seek that money back from the person who broke the stone. -- Keep in mind, I don't know the minutia if you signed a waiver... would that mean JM would still reimburse you the stone and take that loss? I don't know if that was the case what would happen--
------------------------
NUMBER 2

Talk to someone local and ask them what their individual policies are. Most people will not guarentee you that if they break your stone during setting, that they will replace it at the appraisal value, or even do anything at all. I talked with Helzberg jewelers and they said they guarantee their setting, and if it were to break, they would get me a new stone, my choice, up to the value of my appraisal. They are large mall-chain, and I am buying my settings and bands from them.. so that may play a small role in it, but I got the manager's word in the matter. I made 100 percent sure he guarenteed me that if something happened, they would fix it through recutting or a new stone that matched my CERT / appraisal.

See what other jewelers around your area will let you do... keep in mind most places will not have insurance to cover themselves if they did break your stone, so you may get lots of "no" answers or other "bring it in and we'll look at it first" answers.

Let the original vendor set it for you. I know of no loose stone vendors who sell a stone, and won't set it and guarentee their work... if something happens, they can get you another stone without the loss of money comparable to that of breaking a stone they didn't actually sell. Every vendor on PS will set their own stone they sell you.

___

Best of luck!

CJMD

Rough_Rock
Super info! Thanks MrBleeker. I am not really worried about anything happening, just trying to be cautious I suppose. I know having a thin girdle increases the chances of something happening but how likely is it that something really will happen? I just want to make sure all my bases are covered!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results