shape
carat
color
clarity

Princess cut diamond - measurements.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

parabellum

Rough_Rock
Hello.

Someone offers me to buy the princess cut diamond ring. The diamond is 0.5 ct. and it has the measures: 3.9 x 3.8 x 3.0 mm.
Now I see here: www.pricescope.com, that the princess cut diamonds at this weight are bigger, and these measures are equal to diamonds 0.35 - 0.40 ct.
The diamond has the certificate of EGL-USA.

What is your opinion? Is it possible that 0.5 ct diamond has the measures like 0.35 - 0.40 ct?
emcrook.gif

And could you, please, write how to measure the height of the princess cut stone?

Thank you.

researcher

Ideal_Rock
It is more than possible for a POORLY cut .5ct stone to have measurements similar to a .35-.4ct stone. What is the pavilion depth of the stone you're considering?

parabellum

Rough_Rock
Only this information: 3.9 x 3.8 x 3.0 mm.
emotion-18.gif

princessv

Brilliant_Rock
researcher sure knows her stuff when it comes to princess cuts.

Also...EGL is definitely know as being a soft grading lab. I can tell you that from personal experience. Try to go with AGS, GIA, GCAL just to name a few.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
that stone does indeed have the measurements indicative of a smaller carat weight. it is a bit deep at 78% but i don't think that is hurting the size as much as something like an extremely thick girdle would.

parabellum

Rough_Rock
Compare these two stones (see the picture).

Your opinion?

Prc.gif

researcher

Ideal_Rock
One thing I''ve learned being on PS is you need to be careful with EGL stones. It is possible that it could be an amazingly well cut stone, but you can''t tell much of anything without the right information. Can you have the person selling the stone provide you with a copy of the certificate? It will tell you a lot more about the stone. You really can''t tell if the stone is a good one by the dimensions alone. All I can tell you is the stone will be square.

parabellum

Rough_Rock
The girdle is not included in the height?

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/13/2006 6:07:25 PM
Author: Princess V
researcher sure knows her stuff when it comes to princess cuts.

Also...EGL is definitely know as being a soft grading lab. I can tell you that from personal experience. Try to go with AGS, GIA, GCAL just to name a few.
And so does belle!!
2.gif

researcher

Ideal_Rock
Both of those stones are on the deep side (77%), and the first is REALLY rectangular if I'm reading the cards right.

researcher

Ideal_Rock
The girdle is included in the height.

parabellum

Rough_Rock
belle, what do you mean "extremely thick girdle", if the girdle is in the height?

researcher

Ideal_Rock
My guess is she means that you shouldn''t discount a stone on its depth alone
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results