shape
carat
color
clarity

Princess cut diamond advice needed

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

d3kim

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone. I have been earnestly searching for an engagement ring for about a month now, and just ran into Pricescope last night. It is pretty apparent that this is a great source for information and advice as there seems to be a lot of knowledgeable people here.

Here is what I am looking for:
Shape - Princess cut diamond
Size - Close to 1.5 carat (I have read to try to find something slightly smaller as the price jumps to get to the round number, so I''m searching for something in the 1.4-1.49 range)
Clarity - Just want something that is eye-clean, so I have been targetting SI1 (based on Fred Cuellar''s recommendation in his book)
Cost - Under $9K (including taxes if applicable)
Color - As close to colorless as I can afford given all the other constraints have been met

I have mostly been searching in stores and right now have 1 candidate from the Shane Co. It is a 1.48 D SI2 for $8730 (taxes included) and it is coming in from another store. It does NOT have a GIA cert. My sales person spoke to the other sales person over the phone and it is apparently eye-clean and closer to an SI1 in her opinion. In any event, it will be available for my viewing on Friday afternoon. And if I like it, I fully plan to get it appraised by an independent appraiser.

So here are my questions:

1) I know there have been quite a few negative comments made on this forum about the Shane Co (which is how I found Pricescope in the first place - looking for opinions on Shane) but most of the posts seem pretty old, like 2002-2003. I have been to Shane a fair number of times since it is across the street from my work and spoken with several sales people. Most seemed quite uneducated and pushy, but the one I am working with now is different and seems to be fairly knowledgeable and honest. Does anyone have any current views on this merchant? If the diamond looks good and the appraisal goes well, is there anything else I should worry about?

2) Are there any arguments against purchasing a diamond with a really high color (e.g. D-F) and a relatively low clarity (SI1-2) other than the stuff I have read about retaining value? I am fairly certain we will not be selling the diamond ever so I am not worried about resale value. The reason I want a high color grade is because I really do not like seeing any yellow and the diamond is going to be mounted on a white gold setting. I have also read that differences in color grades are more apparent for larger stones like 1.5. Is going for a D-F overkill?

3) I''m also starting to look at Internet diamond vendors though I admit I have the usual hesitation about buying something so valuable over the Web. Are there any tips or tricks to finding something I like on the Internet? Most seem to come with a cert. So is simply having an independent appraiser verify the cert after receiving the stone all I need to do for peace of mind?

4) I live in the Bay Area in San Mateo. Can anyone recommend additional stores to visit? A local trusted diamond appraiser?

I know this is a long post, especially for my first one. But any information/advice to any of my questions is greatly appreciated. Like most guys, all I want to do is get the best I can afford for my girl!
30.gif

Thanks,
- Dan

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
hey d3kim
35.gif
welcome to ps!

Date: 1/5/2006 4:10:44 PM
Author:d3kim

:1) I know there have been quite a few negative comments made on this forum about the Shane Co (which is how I found Pricescope in the first place - looking for opinions on Shane) but most of the posts seem pretty old, like 2002-2003. I have been to Shane a fair number of times since it is across the street from my work and spoken with several sales people. Most seemed quite uneducated and pushy, but the one I am working with now is different and seems to be fairly knowledgeable and honest. Does anyone have any current views on this merchant? If the diamond looks good and the appraisal goes well, is there anything else I should worry about?
i have never worked with that company, so i can''t say anything about them. i would say if the return policy is good (i.e. you can return the stone without penalty if it does not appraise as offered) and you are comfortable with the service you are given, you should be good to go.

2) Are there any arguments against purchasing a diamond with a really high color (e.g. D-F) and a relatively low clarity (SI1-2) other than the stuff I have read about retaining value? I am fairly certain we will not be selling the diamond ever so I am not worried about resale value. The reason I want a high color grade is because I really do not like seeing any yellow and the diamond is going to be mounted on a white gold setting. I have also read that differences in color grades are more apparent for larger stones like 1.5. Is going for a D-F overkill?
depending on what lab graded the stone, d-f could be overkill, or it could be right on for colorless. i think gia/ags graded d-e and possibly f is overkill. you won''t notice a color difference at all between a gia/ags graded d or f and i think you would be perfectly happy with a ''g''. if you find a egl or igi graded d-f it could be more like a f-h color in reality. so it all depends on the lab.

3) I''m also starting to look at Internet diamond vendors though I admit I have the usual hesitation about buying something so valuable over the Web. Are there any tips or tricks to finding something I like on the Internet? Most seem to come with a cert. So is simply having an independent appraiser verify the cert after receiving the stone all I need to do for peace of mind?
if you find a reputable vendor, there is nothing to be worried about. i find having idealscope images infinetly helpful for choosing stones when selecting site unseen. of course having the stone appraised would help alleiviate any further doubts as well.

4) I live in the Bay Area in San Mateo. Can anyone recommend additional stores to visit? A local trusted diamond appraiser?
not my area, so i don''t have any store recommendations but you can use the ''resources'' link at the very top right of this page to find stores and appraisers in your area.

i will also recommend the internet vendor that i have personally dealt with www.whiteflash.com you should also check out www.craftedbyinfinity.com for a list of ideal cut princess stones.

best of luck!

d3kim

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the reply, belle!
1.gif

So I started looking at diamonds online (specifically, Whiteflash and Bluenile) and was wondering if there is an appreciable difference between Good, Very Good and Ideal as far as Cut goes. I imagine there is a bigger difference here than say between D, E and F for Color. Where should I set my standards?

34.gif

Bman143

Rough_Rock
d3kim,
I, too, just began shopping for stones. The best advice I can give you on cut quality is to go to a really good jewelry store and ask to see different cuts. Go someplace and ask the salesperson to show you different sizes, cuts, clarities and colors without telling you what they are. That will give you a great idea as to what you see that you like in a stone, etc. I have found that cut makes the biggest difference, and getting a great cut is much more important, to me at least, than getting better clarity or color. I hope all goes well.

Brandon.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
you''re welcome
2.gif

cut is the most important factor in diamond performance and so yes, there is more of an appreciable difference between the different levels of cut quality as opposed to the different levels of color. obviously, i would set cut as the top priority.
2.gif

E B

Ideal_Rock
Hi Dan!

G, H, I and J colored diamonds are termed "near colorless" and if well cut, they're beautiful and face up very, very white. If you're afraid she'll be extremely color sensitive, you'll probably want to go with a G or an H to get the best "bang for your buck". My center stone is an ideal cut "I" and I couldn't be happier. If you want to see how good a "J" can look in platinum, check out this thread:

J Color Stones in Platinum

Good Old Gold (www.goodoldgold.com) is another trusted vendor with fantastic princess cut diamonds. Here is one in your price range, and though a bit smaller than you were looking for, it's an AGS 0 ideal and it looks amazing:

1.346 G, VS2 AGS 0 ideal

Here's another that's a bit over 9k, but if you're interested, you should ask about the bank wire discount. The one listed might be a typo, as it's more than the regular price. If it is indeed a typo, I'm sure the actual discount would put you around what you were looking to spend:

1.52 H, VS2 AGS 0

Good luck with your search!

d3kim

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the advice on cut! I will definitely place it at the top of my C list now
2.gif
(Good luck, Brandon, on your search!)

Wow, so I found some good choices on both Whiteflash and Bluenile (esp Whilteflash). Are all the internet vendors this good? Are there benefits to going with one over another?

Another question: I''m assuming I need to buy the stone first in order to get it appraised independently. And since it is better to get it looked at without the mounting, does this mean I need to send it back to have it mounted? Or can I get setting at a local store and get it mounted? Will they do it even if I don''t buy the diamond from them?

Just want to say how great this forum is for "ignorant" people like me that don''t want to get ripped off! Thanks to everyone!
36.gif

d3kim

Rough_Rock
Thanks EBree for the links! Especially the two with the Princess diamonds - they do look great!

I will add Good Old Gold to my list of reputable online vendors. It''s amazing how LESS overwhelmed I feel now in a matter of hours thanks to this forum, compared to after searching on my own for a month. My mood has switched from anxious to excited since finding this great repository!

Thanks again to everyone!

I will keep you posted...

d3kim

Rough_Rock
Date: 1/5/2006 6:53:48 PM
Author: EBree
Hi Dan!

G, H, I and J colored diamonds are termed ''near colorless'' and if well cut, they''re beautiful and face up very, very white. If you''re afraid she''ll be extremely color sensitive, you''ll probably want to go with a G or an H to get the best ''bang for your buck''. My center stone is an ideal cut ''I'' and I couldn''t be happier. If you want to see how good a ''J'' can look in platinum, check out this thread:

J Color Stones in Platinum

Good Old Gold (www.goodoldgold.com) is another trusted vendor with fantastic princess cut diamonds. Here is one in your price range, and though a bit smaller than you were looking for, it''s an AGS 0 ideal and it looks amazing:

1.346 G, VS2 AGS 0 ideal

Here''s another that''s a bit over 9k, but if you''re interested, you should ask about the bank wire discount. The one listed might be a typo, as it''s more than the regular price. If it is indeed a typo, I''m sure the actual discount would put you around what you were looking to spend:

1.52 H, VS2 AGS 0

Good luck with your search!
Wow, the more I look at the 1.346 G, VS2 AGS 0 ideal from Good Old Gold the more I like it. The size is close enough to the 1.5 I am looking for (I imagine one would not be able to tell without possibly a 1.5 stone right next to it). Judging by how the J stones look in the other thread, a G should be more than sufficient (right, belle?). With VS2, I won''t need to worry about it being eye clean. And it fits my bugdet.

Does anyone see anything wrong with it? Anything I should be worried about? Other than the obvious difference in size, is the difference in cut substantial between this one and the 1.52 H, VS2? Is AGS 0 Ideal that much better?

There are also a bunch from Whiteflash that fit my criteria...

http://www.whiteflash.com/princess/Princess-cut-diamond-1752271.htm 1.37 G VS2 GIA Ideal
http://www.whiteflash.com/princess/Princess-cut-diamond-2267353.htm 1.47 G VS2 GIA Very Good
http://www.whiteflash.com/princess/Princess-cut-diamond-1939471.htm 1.40 G VS2 GIA Very Good

...just to list a few. These links to do not nearly have the same depth of information as that from GOG. What should I do to help me narrow down the list to the potential one I want to purchase?

So many choices! Please help!
6.gif

Thanks in advance for your opinions!

E B

Ideal_Rock
Dan,

The 1.35 G, VS2 AGS 0 ideal looks amazing, and I like it's lightscope image a lot more than the 1.5 H VS2. If it's everything you want, why not? The size is perfect, the cut is ideal, the color grade is wonderful (G is a great bargain..super white and considerably less than a D or an E), and it's eye-clean. It looks like a winner to me! If you're wondering about the Whiteflash stones, however, contact someone at WF for all the information missing. See if they'll send you pictures as well.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results