shape
carat
color
clarity

Princess clarity dilemma

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

LoveMeDo

Shiny_Rock
I am about to have my engagement ring set on Saturday. Since then, I decided that I may want to trade in my stone for one with a larger carat size and less clarity. My jeweler just called to say that he''d be happy to show me some different stones, but he also warned me that it''s risky to drop the clarity on a princess cut because the flaws are more likely to show. Is this true? I was thinking about going from a VS1 to an eye clean SI-1. If no flaws show to the naked eye, is there any other negative to dropping the level of clarity?

Thanks!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A chance, and I say a chance of less durability.

Certain feathers (a pretty word for cracks) in certain locations struck in just the right way can increase the chances of a chip out.
Fewer flaws should mean higher durability.

There are no absolutes here, it is all shades of gray - a flawless diamond can be damaged too.
More flaws means higher chances of damage.

Sellers sell all clarities so they probably don't want to emphasize this.

Buyers of lower clarity stones probably don't want to think about this.

But it must be true.

How much of a difference this makes to you is 100% up to your own comfort level.

princessv

Brilliant_Rock
I have to say I disagree with your jeweler on this. (maybe its just me) I''ve seen several gorgeous eyeclean SI princess stones when my fiance and I were looking specifically at princess cuts.

The only time that I would shy away from SIs is in the less faceted type cuts such as ECs or asschers.

My advice for it being truly eyeclean (because I am a huge stickler
5.gif
for eyeclean stones) is eyeclean from all views, top, bottom and side and from a 10x loupe. Other people may disagree with me on this, but for me I feel thats a true definition of eyeclean. I don''t think you''ll have any problems dropping in the level of clarity, however some people do have concerns with feathers as those inclusions can sometimes break through the surface of the diamond.

HTH
35.gif

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/7/2006 1:28:36 PM
Author:LoveMeDo
I am about to have my engagement ring set on Saturday. Since then, I decided that I may want to trade in my stone for one with a larger carat size and less clarity. My jeweler just called to say that he''d be happy to show me some different stones, but he also warned me that it''s risky to drop the clarity on a princess cut because the flaws are more likely to show. Is this true? I was thinking about going from a VS1 to an eye clean SI-1. If no flaws show to the naked eye, is there any other negative to dropping the level of clarity?

Thanks!
I am one of those that fall into the "why pay for something you can''t see" camp. To me there isn''t a negative to dropping the clarity as long as the stone is eye clean. I don''t know that a princess is more likely to show inclusions. Mine is an eye clean SI1. You can only see the inclusion with a loupe. I know that some people have a hard time knowing that their stone has an inclusion even if it can''t be seen. Do you think it would bother you to know this? If not then I say go for the eye clean SI1 or 2 and larger stone!

LoveMeDo

Shiny_Rock
Nope! It wouldn''t bother me at all. However, I am now a bit concerned about the "easier chipping" factor mentioned above. I didn''t really think about that before....hmmm

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it really depends on the type and location of the inclusion. Just my own opinion and if it is wrong I''m sure I will be corrected but.....I think that you would have a greater chance of chipping corners than having the stone fall apart because of inclusions.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Princess cuts are more prone to chipping at the corners unless you have them chamfered ( I think is the word) which is a method used by some cutters to blunt the sharp edges where most chipping is likely to occur. Apart from that you should be fine in an S1 clarity, just watch out for surface breaking or reaching feathers but this can apply in any shape too. An expert here says also that flawless diamonds are more prone to chipping than one with inclusions as these are more likely to have cleavage planes which with one good whack can break them. I think you will be ok, get an independant appraiser to check out your diamond during the return period to ease your mind.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/7/2006 2:02:04 PM
Author: LoveMeDo
Nope! It wouldn''t bother me at all. However, I am now a bit concerned about the ''easier chipping'' factor mentioned above. I didn''t really think about that before....hmmm
It would take a pretty nasty booger to have any effect on durability - also, it is quite an exception for a feather to survive cutting in one piece, and then break away. You will never submit the diamond to comparable ''torture'' to cutting.

The bad new ... all princess cuts (IF or I1... whatever) may chip, and really, all diamonds can too. Garry had an interesting story about why princess cut diamonds are more chip-ish, but it sounds like the flaw cannot be such a huge problem - otherwise there would be no princess cut diamonds left on the face of the earth
2.gif

The thing about corners being a little ''dulled'' to avoid chipping them during setting has been mentioned allot and AGS made a special provision for these ''chamfered'' princess cuts to be admitted in the AGS0 grade.

Avoiding ''extremely thin'' girdles and low crowns may be reasonable safety measures, but beyond that... it is the nature of the beast (=diamonds in general) to take blows badly.

My 2c

divergrrl

Ideal_Rock
Hey....quick question...to Garry...why do princesses chip easier? My princess has a crack in the side & my corner chipped when set. I called my homeowners insurance co to see if it was covered and yes it is. So I am going to have to have my appraiser take another look at my stone & then go from there. (see if it needs to be replaced). But i can feel the crack/chip when I run my fingernail along side my stone.

I used to be a poster on here when I reset my ring two years ago...I swear, this stone is cursed!! LOL.....

Hi Mara!!! Remember me? Jeannine.....maybe not, its been awhile......

Here''s my latest little gem....

Copy of santa 2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results