shape
carat
color
clarity

Princess 1.28 ... good deal?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Fiancee to be

Rough_Rock
I have been giving the local jewelers a chance before I decide to go with the e-vendors and this is one of the better diamonds I've found. I've seen it and it really seems to have a lot of brilliance, though I'm not the best judge. I'm thinking maybe a stone with a more consistent girdle would return more light? He's offering it to me for $7400, what do you guys think?

carat ... 1.28
clarity ... VS2
Color ... G
6.20 x 5.89 x 4.15
depth ... 70.5%
table ... 73%
girdle ... extremely thin to thick
culet ... none
Polish ... good
Symmetry ... good
Fluorescence ... none
cert GIA

I'd like to see a imagescope but he doesn't have the equipment. I assume it wouldn't be hard for me to take the stone somewhere else and get an imagescope? I live in the Washington metro area. Also, do any of the major loose diamond websites provide imagescopes of their diamonds? Thanks for all your help everybody.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/3/2004 7:57:47 AM
Author:Fiance to be
I have been giving the local jewelers a chance before I decide to go with the e-vendors and this is one of the better diamonds I''ve found. I''ve seen it and it really seems to have a lot of brilliance, though I''m not the best judge. I''m thinking maybe a stone with a more consistent girdle would return more light? He''s offering it to me for $7400, what do you guys think?

carat ... 1.28
clarity ... VS2
Color ... G
6.20 x 5.89 x 4.15
depth ... 70.5%
table ... 73%
girdle ... extremely thin to thick
culet ... none
Polish ... good
Symmetry ... good
Fluorescence ... none
cert GIA

I''d like to see a imagescope but he doesn''t have the equipment. I assume it wouldn''t be hard for me to take the stone somewhere else and get an imagescope? I live in the Washington metro area. Also, do any of the major loose diamond websites provide imagescopes of their diamonds? Thanks for all your help everybody.
if you''ve seen lots of princess and you love this one, i won''t knock it. there''s nothing better than being able to see something and knowing you love it. that being said, these #''s don''t show well for this stone. while the table isn''t considered huge, it is large as compaired to the depth. ideally, the table should be smaller than the depth. also, you are right, you want to have a more consistent girdle. you especially want to stay away from extremely thin. yikes!! if you want lots of info on princess try these:

www.superbcert.com
www.goodoldgold.com
www.whiteflash.com

good luck
2.gif

sean13

Rough_Rock
As always the most imporatnt factor is how the stone looks to you. For a local jeweler the price seems decent...you could save a little money by going on line, but no one can knock you for wanting to provide some business to the community. I will say the the girdle scares me a bit. Extremely thin in places makes you more prone for chipping, and thick in places means you will be losing a little bit of size for the weight. Also the L:W ratio is 1.05:1. To most people it will look square, but some are more sensitive than others. Finally, if you really want to purchase from a local jeweler, you may want to consider purchasing an idealscope for yourself. Several people on this site have bough one from Garry (http://www.preciousmetals.com.au/). I think you can get one for about $25 and then you can bring it with you and see the images first hand.

Sean

alexah

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/3/2004 7:57:47 AM
Author:Fiance to be

I'd like to see a imagescope but he doesn't have the equipment. I assume it wouldn't be hard for me to take the stone somewhere else and get an imagescope? I live in the Washington metro area. Also, do any of the major loose diamond websites provide imagescopes of their diamonds? Thanks for all your help everybody.
Sean is right - you can buy your own idealscope...
4.gif
as far as which sites supply such photos, goodoldgold, whiteflash (only expert selection i believe), superbcert & dirt cheap diamonds (only their signature series, upon request). Dirt cheap is in your area, tho they don't take walk in customer anymore, I don't believe...?

Edited to add: I'd also stay away from extremely or v thin girdles on princess, most esp if the thin areas are near or in the corners- a chip waiting to happen.

researcher

Ideal_Rock
I agree with the others--keep looking!

Fiancee to be

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all the replies, I think I''m going to pass on the jeweler''s stone. I really want a diamond that''s going to sparkle and pop. I''ve found a few online around the same price that have better dimensions but I''ll have to save up a little more for the all-at-once payment. I wanted to propose on xmas eve but it doesn''t look like it''s happening
8.gif

Oh well, I can hold out a little longer to get her the perfect stone.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
good luck! your patience will pay off!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results