shape
carat
color
clarity

Prince cut vs. Emerald cut, & price $$...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

treysar

Brilliant_Rock
Hi!

My friend is thinking of proposing. He''s looking at a 1.18 F SI "Prince Cut", which is basically a fancy emerald type cut.

The ring is 14k, with sapphire side stones - not sure of the quality of these.

The proposed price is about $10,000.

How does that sound to you guys?

Do you think he could get a considerably larger/higher quality emerald cut that is non branded?

Your opinions needed and appreciated!

Thanks!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Price sounds a little high, and you''ll usually see better quality settings in 18k gold or platinum. I''d be wary about it especially with no cert on the diamond.

treysar

Brilliant_Rock
hmmm... good point. I was a bit wary also because the diamond was already set - he should look at a stone UNSET first, right?

Sharon101

Brilliant_Rock
Here is my 2 cents, and I am happy to be corrected by more expert diamond lovers here.

When a new cut emerges, it takes many years before its longevity and popularity can be determined. As a buyer of a very new cut, you always run the risk that the cut will be abandoned down the track and you will be left with a very unpopular stone. This creates potensial problems for upgrading or reselling down the track.

I believe an example of this happening was with a specific cut that seemed to have a diamond within the diamond. You wouldnt see them around now as they were not popular.

I would just tread carefully with the prince cut. If you really love it for its unique look then go for it, otherwise stick to more traditional cuts. imo

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results