shape
carat
color
clarity

Pricing on Second Hand E-Rings: How Much is that Old Diamond Really Worth?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Starbob48

Rough_Rock
Greetings,
I’m in the market to buy my wife a Lucida Tiffany E-ring (it''s the only one she really wants) and she has no issue with it being purchased second hand. I''ve found some e-rings but have been surprised (to put it mildly) at how much the individual''s selling the rings are asking for this used item.
In an attempt to educated myself so that either I come to terms with the expense or can more effectively discuss pricing with these sellers, I have attempted to find general pricing indices for used E-rings.
I''ve looked all over but have not been able to find any hard numbers for how much an e-ring (and more to the point an e-ring from Tiffany''s depreciates over time.)
I read the pricescope thread regarding how one can''t expect a used Tiffany to be worth much more than another used e-ring of equal stock and found it very helpful. However, I''m still trying to pin down a value or percentage for an e-ring.
My best guess is that a used Tiffany ring is worth somewhere around 55-60% of the original value. I got this number by the amount that an aftermarket retailer was offering to sell a Tiffany’s ring and dividing it by the cost of a Tiffany ring. However, the ring was a diamond band which might influence the depreciation.
If a starting point is needed to make the estimate assume a 1.0 Ct, VVS2, E, Square Lucida . Any thoughts on where to find or how to calculate such info are greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.- Mike the Novicehttp://www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/1.gif
Insert smilie
1.gif

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
where are you looking at buying these rings from?

have you had a look at the signed pieces website? they sell used tiff rings.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Also, please be aware that there are quite a bit of fakes out there. I would require the orginial receipt from T&Co. & have an appraiser verify.

Starbob48

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the tip. I''ll check them out. :)

Starbob48

Rough_Rock
Thanks for excellent advice. I hadn''t considered the possibility of fakes but I will now be doubly careful and definitely get an appraisal. I would image that any qualified & reputable appraiser would be qualified to do this; not just a Tiffany''s employed appraiser. Right?

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would not call that ''depreciation'', because it is just one big bump downwards as soon as the piece leaves the shop: a private sale does not impose Tiffany''s premium - you get to pay for the ''materials'', really. Compare the price with that of non-branded diamonds (fancy shapes, say, emerald or radiant cut) with same specs and a simple platinum (or whatever it is) setting. The estate should still be slightly cheaper - or at most about the price of the diamond loose around here.

Of course, there is some wear with time, but here time means decades, not weeks outside the blue box. Damage is possible, but not very likely and you can always inspect the ring before purchase.

True enough, items that do not contain one large gem but many (eternity rings versus solitaire, say) come relatively cheaper in estate sales. But this is partially explained by the simple fact that brand names add the most premium on these things to begin with.

Just my 0.2 worth. At least this is what I would expect to find for such an intem.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results