shape
carat
color
clarity

Pricing for an eternity ring (2.6tcw)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Without even having my e-ring set yet, I am hoping to find a w-ring to fit well with the setting I will create...

I was looking at some wedding bands in a shared prong princess cut eternity ring style. These are the specs I am looking at so far:

Shared prong eternity ring (all around)
10 points stones
26 stones (2.6twc)
Platinum band
ring size 5.25 - 5.5

Also contemplating an 11 stone ring with the stones on the top only, so that I don't have that "can't close my fingers with all these diamonds in the way" problem...

Originally I was hoping for a radiant eternity ring at 10 points each, but supposedly no one can cut them that small...I am not normally a fan of princess, but I tried on the same thing with rounds and was told it just didn't match...Any ideas?

Patty

Ideal_Rock
HERE

is one with 25 Princess cuts=2.41 carats at Facets.

Edited to add...but I just realize now that you said that Princess cuts don't look good with your Radiant...sorry.

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Patty!

Looks like I am going to Facets today for a diamond shopping lunch!
9.gif
love.gif

My friend just told me I may have a problem though. I want a very very low set stone on my e-ring, and she said that if I get it so low set, it will never sit flush to a w-ring...

Makes sense, but anyone have a low set ring that wasn't made to math their w-ring? Should I get the e-ring and the w-ring custome done to match and sit just right? Mara, did you have this problem at all before you got yours done?

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just make sure you can wear those all-around bands: some are completely imposible, especially if prongs are involved - just a small chainsaw
11.gif

It sounds like the branded radiants come in 0.14cts pieces. How much of the difference of size can there be?
And... isn't the setting below darn close to what you have in mind?

rdas.JPG

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
*GASP* ANA!! Thank you Thank you Thank you!

You are GOOD! I have seen those at my jewelers and another here in NYC (not sure if they are AUTHORIZED), but I couldn't figure out the designer! Wha a silly fool I was!

YES, that solitaire is the model my jeweler would use to make my setting, but I was told by my friend that if I decide to have a flush set w-ring to the e-ring, it would NEED the height of that second band, or the bulk of the stone is in the way...?

Anyone have ideas on that?

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
That's a funky looking radiant wedding band! Hehe. I am really not loving that. I like the princess set one better actually.

I had my e-ring custom made to sit higher specifically so that my wedding band could sit flush.

Many people buy the engagement ring and give no thought to the wedding band and then freak out later when they realize pickins' are slim for what they chose for engagement ring, or they don't like what is out here, etc etc. So, very important to think about BOTH rings as a set if you want a flush fit.

1.gif

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
----------------
Looks like I am going to Facets today for a diamond shopping lunch!
9.gif
love.gif

----------------

Can you post your opinion on Facet's diamonds and how well they're cut? Sumi started a thread in the diamond hangout forum wondering about their stones and I was hoping you could post over there and tell us what you think. They've got some GREAT deals on eBay
9.gif

Here's a link to that thread FACETS

Thanks,
Michelle

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes Nic...let us know if their melee rings are sparkly. Not just in jewelers lights either!

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
I will start a post about it, because it may make it easier for people to search for it then. I am still wondering what to do. I went to see the Facets line at Signed Pieces, and they guy practically sold me on a 2.5tcw round stone eternity ring, where the prongs made it look more square.

Anyone else have eternity rings that bug them. F*I said hers bugged her. Was it princess or round?

alexah

Brilliant_Rock
I often wonder the same - about the prongs scratching the skin...

I've tried on several eternity rings & pave bands & I couldn't wait to get them off
15.gif

It's channel-set or nuthin for me, i'm afraid...
4.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well not to be bitchy, but of course when you try things on, they are going to irritate you. You're not used to wearing them! It's like when I put on a new bra, I want to take it off! It's too constricting, its not familiar, it feels weird. New hairstyle, new highlights, I think most of us experience that with something new.

But once you get used to it, it's a different story. I also think it speaks to how well-made your ring is going to be. My engagement ring does not bother me in the least. But the prongs are set close to the stones, there aren't any sharp edges, nothing pokes me. I even noted in a previous post that I sometimes forget the darn thing is on my finger! However my 10 stone ring on my right hand from eBay is a different matter. The prongs are pointy, it's not super well made, I tend to feel that one a bit more, though it still doesn't *bother* me.

I also think it's fair to point out that for most eternity rings that aren't 10 carats (meaning very big stones) will not even be felt in terms of poking the other finger. You don't run around life with your hands squeezed together. My natural hand state is not squeezing my fingers together. Yes, when I do squeeze them together in nervousness or something, I definitely feel my e-ring poking the other finger. But I think your natural hand state is relaxed, with space between the fingers. Relax your hand now and look at it. See a space?
2.gif

So yes there will be people it will bother regardless, maybe the same people who take the bra off right away and throw it in the trash...hehee...but I would venture to say that most would get used to wearing the eternity ring as long as it doesn't do physical harm to your hand and is well-made !
2.gif

alexah

Brilliant_Rock
Ok. Chalk it up to sensitive skin & that fact that I don't wear any rings - so I guess any ring is going to feel uncomfortable...
Don't check my trash tho Mara - I'll not be tossing my (channel set) e-ring when i get it!
9.gif

icelady

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Nic,

I am in Atlanta Georgia visiting my sister and I was at a beautiful jewelry store called Mayors yesterday. They have the most gorgeous radiant cut, 7 stone, shared prong setting. It is similar to the one above (radiant one) and it was very, very beautiful in person. The stones were approx .19 to .20 ct ea. the radiants were pretty square in shape with NO visible bow tie and set in platinum.

IMO if they small radiants are much smaller than approx .19 or so you may not be able to clearly identify that they are radiant. However, the cut was stunning!!!!

Good luck!

sumi

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, yes! Nicrez please let us know what you thought about the quality of the Facets stone, and what you thought of the craftsmanship of the piece. Thanks!

caratgirl

Brilliant_Rock
I think that eternity rings with larger stones (.10 and up) are much harder to wear if you have tapered fingers instead of the type with larger knuckles (like mine). My fingers are thinner at the base, so I have a natural 'gap' between my fingers that is not so attractive, but makes it a lot easier to wear an eternity band more comfortably.

I don't like the feeling of prongs, and just couldn't get used to the feeling, so if I choose another eternity style, it would be channel set for me (with very small stones). I have a friend with tapered fingers, and she tried on eternity bands, and couldn't close her fingers at all! It just looked very weird! I think that each person's sensitivity, finger type, etc. will be unique to them. Good luck with your search.
10.gif

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Alright, what I learned was that there are three types of shared prong settings I saw that I considered. Here's the comparison (all are in Platinum):

1) Shared prong princess eternity (2.5tcw) - 26stones
It was bulky, and it sparkled better than a channel set eternity band, but odd because there was this strange reflection fromt he flat surfaces of the square stones that weren't sparkles, just refelctions of the crown facets. Also, there seemed to be more prongs because they are required to be on the outside of the ring, covering each corner of the stones. Fits best with square stones, and looks a bit odd with round solitaire, but depends on taste.
Sparkliness: 7 out of 10
Comfort: 6 our of 10 (at best)
Price: $3,000-$2,600 Approx.

2) Shared Prong round eternity (2.88tcw)- 18 stones
It was bulky, but the comfort was slightly better. The prongs are placed within the inside of the band, since the round stones do no require the edges to be protected. Bringing the prongs to the center of the band made it much more corfortable, and a lot less painfull when squeezing hands together. So far my favorite because the setting had sparkly round stones, but also had a clean smooth line to it, and it was set so they don't look square or round, just sparkly. Fits with most square or round stones quite well.
Sparkliness: 9 out of 10
Comfort: 7.5 out of 10
Price: $3,700 for (2.5tcw = $2,600)

3) An invisible set round eternity (ct weight not known)
I include this just for those with round solitaires who like a rounds eternity band with each stone set in an invisible hidden bezel setting underneath, where the band is hidden on the finger. It's almost as if the stones float. Great setting and VERY comfortable, but not useful for me with a square stone, as it clashes too much with the round shapes being so obvious. less metal to see, but also seems SLIGHTLY less sparkly, because of the loss of that metalic lustre...?
Sparkliness: 8.9 out of 10
Comfort: 9.5 out of 10
Price: unknown

If anyone is interested in the last one, I can try to go back and get some info. I may be headed there today anyway....more BROWSING!
naughty.gif
9.gif

PreCiouSJeWeL920

Rough_Rock
Hi Nicrez, I am looking at your #2 choice also. On their website,It cost $3900. So, was that a sale price for you? and for 2.55ctw, how come it cost $1100 less? That is just about 2 stones less. Is it going to be the same as platinum? I am so grateful that you could go to their store to check it out. Is the quality the same as they claimed? Thanks

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
My trip to Signed Pieces to see their Facets line:

First, prices were approximated. I always say to contact them and see if you can get a better price. Their qaulity was quite good, and their stones where white and sparkly. I had a friend's ring to compare them to and my E colored stone looked nice and white, but the F-G stones in the eternity rings looked almost as white. The rings I saw seemed well set, and their prongs were well polished, smoothed (not pointy) and evenly sized and propoerly spaced. The number two ring at 2.5tcw is cheaper than the 2.88, but I have no idea why?!

So obviously if I bought from them (which I truly would recommend them so far) I would get the 2.5tcw...(he said that the 2.88 can be made in 2.5 or so and he approximated the amount, so I am willing to believe even the 2.88 can be bargained down a bit, considering cash or wire as well...

The service was attentive and helpful. Oddly they even said that they could not create my custom e-ring setting because it would infringe (however slightly) on Tiffany's patented Lucida and they did not want to get into a legal battle. I mentioned how it was NOT the Lucida but much simpler, and they apologized nicely but stated they worked with and sold Tiffany's second hand jewelery and didn't want to jeaopardize their status. That made them a lot more trustworthy in my book....

diane5006

Brilliant_Rock
HI Nic...another option I have seen...it is not quite a 'shared' prong setting...but more like each stone is set with 3 prongs...I have seen this in only one place...I loove the look and it maximzes showing the stones...the prongs were very dainty...I can't quite explain it...

I have seen the 'invisible setting you are talking about...a former coworker had one...from what I gather the one she had was mega pricey...she was all about the price...hers went only halfway around...I thought it looked nice...but better can be had....

I will see if I can find the website

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Ooohh...Diane I would love to see it. Right now I am dying to figure out what type of eternity band in shared prong I can have BEFORE I set my e-ring, so perhaps they can coincide...?

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Nic..just check out the SP website. THey have everything up there that they have on eBay. There is one that I LOVE...it's shared prong rounds and the prongs are set in so close to the middle that it makes the stones look ROUND ROUND ROUND. very cool.

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Mara, they have great stuff, and I saw the Shared "prong" invisible setting one and noticed that it's wonderful in smaller sizes, under 1.5tcw, but it's harder to do in larger sizes.

Issac, the guy who helped me, said that he never made a larger "invisible setting" that had that ONE prong in the center between each stone in larger stone points, because when small, the prong is small and invisible, but the larger the stones, the greater the prongs need to be and it's too much space between the stones to look that good.

Anyone looking for a very delicate and round (invisble and leats amount of metal in an eternity band will LOVE that setting. It is totally the most comfortable!

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
OMG...small chainsaw...that's exactly how I describe it. I hate it and can't get used to it. I bought a small eternity and it sits there unworn. Instead, I wear a band with 6 .35 princess stones only in the front. MUCH better!
1.gif

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Hee hee, More, I have to laugh at your comment! LOL!!!

Here in Diamondsville, the ring I am looking at is more like a teeny tiny mitre saw...The sales ladies whose hubby's own these stores have some SERIOUS bling of princess, round stones, emerald, baguettes, etc in shared prong in sized from 3tcw to 6twc and MORE! Honestly...these stones are like up to 50 pointers and such!

THOSE ARE SERIOUS CHAINSAWS! A lady at my jeweler (who was there LAST time) was getting ANOTHER piece, which was to MATCH her 7tcw emerald wedding band (I assume it's her 6 month anniversary of her 23rd wedding anniversary...).

To each his own. Bling here is like wearing make up. Some people wear none, but those who wear just enough and tastefully are what I am going for. More is NOT always better! (think Tammy Faye Baker of Diamonds!)
eek.gif
errrr.gif

diane5006

Brilliant_Rock
here is a pic of the "Boundless" bands form Ambar...these are invisibly set...

The 3-prong I saw was less than 1c tw so that is why the prongd may have been so dainty...I saw it at Robbins in Delaware...

ambardiamonds_1781_5553732.gif

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Can't take credit! It was valeria's post! The band I got was very small...maybe 1 carat all the way around. UGH!!!!

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Diane those are beauties! But my only issue with them is that with a square stone, these very obviously round set stones will not match?

ooohh, I DO want comfort, so that's BIG, but to what end can I sacrifice appearances (as we know are just TOO crucial when it comes to clashing diamond looks!)
2.gif
naughty.gif

More, I didn't read Ana's post on chainsaws, but man you had me laughing....I will adopt that phrase, if you don't mind Ana!!
naughty.gif

I would DEFINATELY get a small 1ct or so sparkler, if I kept my band as thin as it is, but for the design I want for my e-ring, it will need a heaftier wedding band, and frankly, I am not likely to get upgrades on my wedding band, so I account for "shrinkage" now...
naughty.gif
11.gif
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif

iwntatacori

Rough_Rock
Just a thought, but have you tried looking at a Tacori?

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/5/2005 6:36:41 AM
Author: iwntatacori
Just a thought, but have you tried looking at a Tacori?
It''s probably long past when she needed to make a decision......this thread is more than a year old now.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results