shape
carat
color
clarity

Pricing a French Cut Antique?

lwright

Rough_Rock
Hi - my boyfriend recently bought me a ring and I’m trying to get a sense of the price was fair.

Here are the stats I have:
-Antique French cut diamond
-VVSI
-M
-no fluorescence
-2.62 carats
-$20-$25k

Picture below

I haven’t been able to find a single comp. What do you all think?

1660070025045.png

Last edited:

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You don't state the price and a photo would help. A French cut diamond that size is uncommon so finding comps will be difficult. Please post a photo and give us at least a general idea of price.

lwright

Rough_Rock
You don't state the price and a photo would help. A French cut diamond that size is uncommon so finding comps will be difficult. Please post a photo and give us at least a general idea of price.

Updated!

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can you show a side profile of the stone/ring?

I’m getting recut-from-a-radiant vibes. Maybe I’m wrong.

Comparison shopping will be difficult on something like this. But depends (IMO) if we are also taking about an antique stone pulled from a piece and made into this ring vs a newly cut stone.
Still somewhat difficult to find comps with what’s available out there to readily buy - but does makes a difference.

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Umm...might be hard to find a comp for a French Cut of that size.

This is an Asscher that is one step down in color and in clarity for some (not exact) comparison:

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you'll be hard put to find a comp. As I said, large french cuts are not often seen. Your photo doesn't quite look like the antique french cuts I've seen but I know there are different flavors. Seeing the side profile of the stone would help.

Here's a 4+ ct one for $225k! The cert. calls it a round cornered square brilliant.

Here are a few more of varying sizes but smaller than yours

If I were in the market for a 2.6 ct true antique French cut, I don't think 20-25k is a bad price.

lwright

Rough_Rock
Can you show a side profile of the stone/ring?

I’m getting recut-from-a-radiant vibes. Maybe I’m wrong.

Comparison shopping will be difficult on something like this. But depends (IMO) if we are also taking about an antique stone pulled from a piece and made into this ring vs a newly cut stone.
Still somewhat difficult to find comps with what’s available out there to readily buy - but does makes a difference.

Thanks! My understanding is that it's an antique cut, not a recut 1660072151888.png

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Did it come with a lab report? GIA? If yes, can you share the report?

Mrs_Strizzle

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, so unique! What's better than a French cut diamond? A 2.62 ct French cut diamond!

lwright

Rough_Rock
Did it come with a lab report? GIA? If yes, can you share the report?

It did but once my boyfriend bought it they pulled it from the store website, so I won’t have it again for a few months

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you!! This is the closest comp I’ve found

That's a one carat center stone. The ones I posted above are closer in size to yours, although yours is lower color than all of them, I'd think the larger ones were better comps.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results