shape
carat
color
clarity

Price is right

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

fletchlives

Rough_Rock
good day,

I recently purchased a diamon engagement ring from a B&M shop here in the DC area. I''ve done some research prior to final purchase but we always have a what if lying in the back of our brain... I believe that received a fair shake on my deal, anyone offering opinions to the contrary?

CUT=PRINCESS
SIZE=1.27
COLOR=F
CLARITY=VVS2
CERTIFIED BY=GIA
DEPTH=68.4%
TABLE=75%
PRICE=$7334 USD
SYMMETRY=VG
POLISH=GD
GIRDLE=VERY THIN TO SLTHK

Secondly, has anyone aware of the Simon G line of bands?

Thanks in advance...

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Does it have any fluorescence ? What size is it (diameter, not carats) ? "Very thin" girdle is considered fragile (at least it has been mentioned for this reason with several ocasions on this forum) ... does this matter ? Is VVS important as a simbol to you, otherwise there are a couple more clarity grades that are predictably clean... And, the GIA report doesn''t mention much about cut quality - if this doesn;t matter either, there seem to be a few F/VVS under 7k around here, but not many and not allot under 7k - this doesn''t mean that better prices are available for comparable quality elsewhere, just that between a dozen or so independent sellers there''s hardly any better.

Just a couple of default questions that would come up about any diamond, IMO.
34.gif

Simon G (link) is one respected designer, as far as I know, and for good reason. Which ring do you have in mind ?

kevinraja

Shiny_Rock
I am DC metro, and I recently visited two most reputed stores in the area before I finally bought a diamond from Charleston Alexandar. If you can post details on the store you bought, I can share what I experienced.

We need more numbers on your stone. Post the stones measurements (3 nos in mm) and flourescence details. I think the stone is a little pricy. I really like the depth%, but not particularly the large table%.

fletchlives

Rough_Rock
in response to valeriea101:

thanks did not think to put those items in orig post.

FLOURESCENCE=NONE
CUT=IDEAL
DIMENSIONS=(did not jot this down, sorry)

Overall the diamond is splendid under 10X and 100x glass. The dimensions were more sqaure (better match to the band) than more rectangular princess cut diamonds. The VVS wasn''t that important but my perception at the time compared (I did take GIA sheets of other diamonds [from other vendors] with me on purchase) well if not better than other of same size and color but lower in clarity.

fletchlives

Rough_Rock
in response to kevinraja:

in fact i did purchase the ring from charleston alexander. my perception of them as a whole was B+ as a whole. i will most likely be going back there for the wedding bands and future repeat business.

kevinraja

Shiny_Rock
Many here who have been to CA have told me that CA is a little pricy. But I got a really good deal on the stone that I purchased there. the people there are nice and patient. They are OKAY in educating you on diamond aspects, but only to a certain extent. Since I educated myself about diamonds from sites like pricescope, I knew what I was look for, and whether the sales people were telling me the truth.

BTW, you said your diamond is "IDEAL" cut. There is nothing called ideal cut for fancy shape diamonds. Check out this link for very useful information on fancy shape cuts. Once you are there, click on the link "DIY cut grading" on your left, and choose princess. That table is as close a defintion of what fancy shape measurements mean.

fletchlives

Rough_Rock
kevinraja thanks for the link. used the same chart for AGA off of pricescope.com.

going by the AGA charts

TABLE = 2B
DEPTH = 1A
GIRDLE = 1A
POLISH = 1A
SYMMETRY = 1A

i assume aside from the table depth rating of 2B that i received a good deal. but we all know where assumptions can lead us...

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
i assume aside from the table depth rating of 2B that i received a good deal. but we all know where assumptions can lead us...

assuming you are right, i don''t want to go there.........
2.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For some reason I wanna be a b***h today
3.gif
You now... AGA tells me this is reasonably large for the weight and it''s not likely to break from wear any time soon, but it doesn''t tell me if most other diamonds are brighter. Is it sooo bad to want that last bit of info ?

34.gif
There is an update to the AGA grades you might want to take a look at it HERE.

I admit this is a bit exaggerated, but not too much, IMO. Since there isn''t much choice to shop princess cuts for brilliance, you did well - no doubt about that.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results