shape
carat
color
clarity

Price discrepancy due to fluorescence?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Jhonts

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,

I'm considering this round ideal cut stone at a price of $7117 (link below), and I wonder if I could ask for your impressions:

1.23 ct
H, VS2
6.96-6.97X4.24
Depth 60.9
Table 55
Crown 34.9"
Pavilion 40.8"
Girdle: Thin to Med Faceted
Culet .6%
Symmetry EX
Polish EX
Fluorescence: Very Strong Blue

The numbers look good, and HCA gives it a good rating. I'm looking for a well proportioned, brilliant stone to place in an antique style platinum setting, and I'd prefer a VS2 and a weight above 1.20 ct. Do you think this stone is a good buy? Do you see any potential problems with it?

I've read the PS posts on fluorescence, and it is not a negative characteristic for me. Moreover, the dealer assures me that this stone is not milky/oily in sunlight. But I noticed that two comparable stones that come up on PS (see links below) are being sold for around $700 to $800 more. Do you think this is because the other stones are H&A's, or is it really due to the "very strong blue" fluorescence of this stone? In either case, do you see any reason for concern about this stone?

Many thanks for your advice. Any feedback you can give me on this stone would be appreciated.
Jhonts

dixxin

Rough_Rock
I recently purchased a e-diamond with strong fluorescent at a substantial discount to non-fluorescent stone. Although the fluorescent is strong, it does not have a milky characteristic at all.. next to my fiance's 1k-F-VS2, this 2.34-D-SI1 really really sparkle.. and it is not considered a H&A while the 1k stone is H&A.

I did not look at the diamond you posted in detail but from my shopping experience, strong fluorescent give you a price discount but this does not necessarily mean that the diamond is inferior. Many PS like fluorescent and before GIA included fluorescent information on their cert, fluorescent diamond fetched a premium.. ( I think from memory this is correct)

Reading available info on PS on fluorescent suggest not going for anything more than midblue fluor but the strong fluorescent diamond we bought was beautiful and allow us to buy in at a higher colour.

Hope this help.

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
There has been much discussion about fluorescent stones here on PS in the last few years. Although the industry does tend to discount consistently because of it, I don''t really agree with it. It seems to me that each stone should be discounted, or not, on a case-by-case basis much like the other Cs, but for some reason, as soon as the *f* word is mentioned, there is a discount. I personally like the phenomenon, and if I get a discount because of it, horray for me!

I just recently purchased myself a book on gems to read for fun: Secrets of the Gem Trade. I''m really enjoying it. In a section that discusses fluorescence, I was pleasantly surprised to read:

. . . the GIA conducted a color preference test comparing fluorescent blue diamonds against diamonds of comparable color that were inert under UV light. In the test, professional graders expressed a clear preference for the appearnce of blue fluoroescent stones.

It went on to say:

. . . Given the GIA''s standing in the industry, this test and its results should have a real effect on future diamond prices . . .

Of course, this is just the author''s opinion, but it implies that someday the industry will flp back in the direction of placing a premium on the phenomenon rather than discounting.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results