shape
carat
color
clarity

Price differences for similiar diamonds?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

CareBear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Often I see several diamonds of the same color, clarity, cut, both certified by GIA (or AGS) for very different prices sold by the same online vendor. What makes the prices so different? Will 1 stone be better than the other?

CareBear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
This article explains why different vendors sell the same stone. But I'm wondering why 2 different stones of very similiar quality can be sold at very different prices?

codex57

Brilliant_Rock
Do you have some specific examples?

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
The quality of the cut makes a big difference, as well as flourescence, nature of inclusions, girdle, culet, etc. But mostly it''s the cut quality. Just because they''re both rounds with 61% depth and 55% tables doesn''t mean the cut quality is the same.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The owner of the stone is pretty much setting the prices. Different owners of similar stones may choose to price things differently. This may be because they need to sell quickly, because they want to reduce their inventory of certain kinds of items, because of differences in cut or grading or for a variety of other valid reasons. Theoretically the dealers can (and should) price each stone individually without regard to their actual cost but it's pretty much impossible to do this without actually seeing the stone. Instead, they simply markup the suppliers price to cover their own service. Since they all have several suppliers offering similar stones, the dealer can end up selling several similar stones for different prices.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ISA NAJA
Independent Appraisals in Denver

CareBear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
For example:
Shape: Round
Carat weight: 1.31
Color: F
Clarity: VS2
Depth %: 60.8
Table %: 56
Symmetry: Excellent
Polish: Excellent
Girdle: TN-M
Culet: N
Fluorescence: N
Measurements: 7.08-7.12-4.32
Price : $9,654.18

and then you have :
Shape: Round
Carat weight: 1.32
Color: F
Clarity: VS2
Depth %: 58
Table %: 60
Symmetry: Excellent
Polish: Very Good
Girdle: TN-M
Culet: N
Fluorescence: N
Measurements: 7.20-7.23-4.25
Price: $10,586.82

Both are sold on the same site. The first one to me sounds like a great stone at a great price. (Am I correct about this? I want to make sure since I am considering this stone) The second one, not so great. This confuses me! Should I be worried that something is wrong with the first one? (Btw, if you are the vendor, please don't be offended that I posted this information)

YoungPapa

Shiny_Rock
Trade
CareBear,

Neil (denverappraiser) hit the nail on the head.

You need to understand that even though you may have found those two diamonds listed side-by-side on the same internet website, odds are that those two diamonds are owned by two completely separate companies. One of the companies might be a huge multi-million dollar Debeers siteholder. The other company might be a small independant wholesaler in the midwest. For that reason it''s entirely possible (and probable) that the stones are being offered to your internet dealer at different costs.

The important thing to learn is that the price of a diamond IS NOT necessarily a reflection of its value relative to other diamonds. The cheaper diamond is just that - cheaper. Doesn''t mean it might not also be of better quality and a better overall value for you.

You might want to call your vendor first thing tomorrow and get that first diamond put on hold :)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results