shape
carat
color
clarity

Price differences confusing first time buyer

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Ready2AskHer

Rough_Rock
I went to a Pricescope vendor to look at a diamond. While there I asked him why there were other diamonds with equivalent specs (indluding on his own site) and lower (and higher) prices and why he wsn''t showing me those diamonds? For instance, there might be 5 or 6 F VS2''s listed that all have VG VG or EX EX with EX cut but they all have different prices...significantly. What makes diamonds that are basically the same on paper get sold for different prices? I inquired about THIS DIAMOND (F VS2 Ex Gd Premium $4240) but my Pricescope vendor said it''s probably got something wrong with it that is making it so cheap ("probably has a cloud that makes it hazy or something"). So instead he directed me towards a similar F VS2 with a vs culet but only VG VG specs. What gives? Why do different diamonds that look so similar on paper have such different prices? Are they listed as more expensive on Pricescope for a reason? Internal flaws that aren''t shown on the grading report?

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
lots of questions in one short post :}

1> that stone you linked is a virual stone and not in stock and has had no tests ran on it. Who knows what the quality level is. In general prices are what they are for a reason.

2> well cut stones cost more with the same margin for the vendor.

3> sometimes right after a price increase you will see prices higher on newer diamonds of the same specs.
The vendors work on a cost + basis. Some raise the price of old stock some dont.
Most internet vendors move it fast enough that there isnt much that remains at the old prices very long before being sold.

4> without knowing the cut and other details of the diamonds your comparing I cant say why they are priced different.

Gonzodogg

Shiny_Rock
I think the simple answer to your question is CUT.

The quality of the cut (ideal, very good, good, fair, poor) will have a huge impact on price - and more importantly on beauty. Just by knowing that a diamond is an F, VS2, with VG/VG polish and symetry does not tell you anything about the cut of the stone.

I would spend some time learning about diamonds by reading the "advanced tutorial" on this site. That will help you a lot.

good luck

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results