shape
carat
color
clarity

Preparing toddler for daycare/preschool

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
Last week, DH called the daycare in his office building to check if there's any opening for next year. We've put M on the wait list since she was 13 months. We were told by the assistant that there is a spot in the toddler class next month, and that would guarantee her a spot in the preschool class. Preschool class is 2.5 - 4 yrs old, but they wouldn't move her up until she is 3. This Monday, DH went downstairs to speak to the director, and she said that there is a spot for M in January and we don't have to start November. So that's a big relief because we weren't sure about just throwing M in there in a few weeks. I want to prepare her. I've been asking her if she wants to go to school, and she says yes. I don't think she really knows what it means to go to school. She knows her cousin go to school and come home to do homework. But what else can I do to prepare her? And just in general, what do we need to prepare (stuffs that we might need)?

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Meena's growing up fast!

Preschools are equipped to handle a lot, so you don't have to worry about much. Your biggest concern will be yourself and what a mess you'll be on her first day. ;))

I took Amelia to childcare at church when she was about 18 months old. That helped a lot and wasn't as intimidating as preschool might be (4 kids in childcare vs 17 kids in a preschool class). Just getting her comfortable with someone else besides mommy was a HUGE help. It also might help to teach her the concept of "mommy will be right back" so she knows that when mommy is gone, it's not forever.

Not that Meena will need it, but I also think teaching the concept of "time out" is helpful. Amelia's hasn't been put in one in preschool, but I did want to teach her the concept in case they ever needed to use it, so she wouldn't be as distraught in preschool. Before she went to school, I taught it to her and she knows it's because she did something wrong, but that she'll be able to come out of timeout and things will be OK.

Obviously make sure she knows things like hitting, kicking and biting are not OK. Those are usually automatic timeouts in preschool.

Get the flu shot for her. Preschools are cesspools of germs. It's so gross.

The school Amelia goes to provides lunch. Some do not. Taking her to buy a groovy lunchbox might be fun for her. Tell her it's for school and she can use it when she goes, so she has something to look forward to.

And lots of playdates beforehand, so she enjoys the concept of being around other kids.

Most everything else, they'll teach her at school. It's amazing how they can teach kids to sit still there and listen to books being read for 30 minutes. But of course, you'll be ahead of the game if she's good at taking instruction, sitting still and listening, etc.

Hope that helps!

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
The best thing you can do is take her before she goes for a tour and to meet her teachers. After taking her then you can talk about the visit and explain in so many more days your going to school there. I think her knowing where she is going is going to help. It's always harder on the parents than the kids.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
lknvrb4 said:
The best thing you can do is take her before she goes for a tour and to meet her teachers. After taking her then you can talk about the visit and explain in so many more days your going to school there. I think her knowing where she is going is going to help. It's always harder on the parents than the kids.

I think this could be hit or miss depending on how old the kid is. Older kid, this would be great. Younger kid, it might confuse them more, but it depends on the communication level of the kid. One day you're there with them and hanging out, and then you're not.

I only say this because many kids don't cry or freak out on day 1 - there are too many distractions and they are into it. They cry on day 3ish. So on day one of preschool, it might be better for the parent if they can get away without a crying kid, because boy is it tough to walk away!

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
Tgal
Thanks. I was hoping you would chime in. This will be the first time Meena is in a childcare situation, so I am a bit worried on how she will do. The toddler class is 24 kids and preschool class is 36, teacher-to-student ratios are 1:6 and 1:8, respectively. She knows the concept of time-outs. We use it at home. I am worried about her pushing/shoving and possibly hitting. She sometimes pulls toys from her cousins, and I tell her to stop, that she has to wait for her turn, and to ask for the toy. It's something I have to remind her; it has not internalized yet. In the situation when I weren't able to stop her before shoving occurred, I took her away immediately and put her in time-out. I had only need to put her in time-out a couple times, but it's in the back of my mind. Who knows, she might be a completely angel at daycare. Flu shot is schedule for next month. We are starting with two days a week, so we'll see how it goes.

Iknvrb
I'll look into taking her for a visit. I'll check with the director to see if she thinks it's a good idea for kid her age.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow I feel like a slacker mom b/c I didn't do anything to prepare her. When I decided for her to start preschool last year, she went in a week later. It was fast. She did great (she was around 26 months when she started) but I think she went through another separation anxiety period over the summer. I started singing a song to her about "mommy always comes back" and talk to her on the ride and remind her how I picked her up the day before and will today, etc. Last night I heard her singing my pathetic, made-up song to her doll. It was funny. She loves school and talks about her friends all the time. I am sure M will have a blast plus how awesome your DH is right there just in case.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Tacori E-ring said:
Wow I feel like a slacker mom b/c I didn't do anything to prepare her. When I decided for her to start preschool last year, she went in a week later. It was fast. She did great (she was around 26 months when she started) but I think she went through another separation anxiety period over the summer. I started singing a song to her about "mommy always comes back" and talk to her on the ride and remind her how I picked her up the day before and will today, etc. Last night I heard her singing my pathetic, made-up song to her doll. It was funny. She loves school and talks about her friends all the time. I am sure M will have a blast plus how awesome your DH is right there just in case.

LOL Tacori, you're not a slacker mom. There really isn't much one has to do to prep for preschool. There are some things that make it easier, but nothing necessary for sure. Although I do think if your kid is a hitter/pusher/kicker/biter, you should teach them the concept of time out because it isn't tolerated in preschool. If not, then most likely there isn't much your kid can do to get into time out.

Of course, I'm talking about normal preschool...not the ones your kid has to interview for!!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
TGal, T goes to a normal, play-based preschool. No interviews, but there is a waiting list just b/c there must be a million tots here in NC. Almost every single church (and we have a ton) has a preschool as well as the private and daycare centers and everywhere has waiting lists. What gives? Haha. I got lucky so when I found out there was an open spot I rushed.

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
Tacori
You are not a slacker mom. I think my worry comes from the fact that M had always been home with the inlaws, is fairly timid around unfamiliar people and can only make a few phrases. Tessa is much more outgoing and good with people. I am probably over thinking it. Yeah I really wanted M to attend the daycare at DH's work. He gets priority over people who don't work in the building. I am like 5 miles away, so I can even drop by to check on her.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Tacori, Amelia's school had a year long waitlist, but Amelia got in after 7 months because of the recession. I can't imagine making my toddler interview for preschool!

QT, don't worry. Amelia was 25 months when she started and didn't speak much at ALL. You'll be amazed at how quickly her speech will develop...Amelia is out of control now!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Q, I am sure your inlaws are wonderful and how generous of them watching her for the last two years (I am a tad jealous!) but she will LOVE it! They do all kinds of stuff I am unable or unwilling (no painting with chocolate pudding at my house!) at home. She will make friends, learn songs, stories, play outside...it will be WONDERFUL for her!

TGal, I didn't even have an interview for college! My one for Grad school was lame.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't have experience based advice because Hunter has been in a daycare setting since 10mo and that is also where he will attend preschool... he is transitioning to the toddler program as we speak!

But my gut tell me less is more. If it was me I would visit with kiddo one time. Then depending on kiddos personality and where she has been in care previously, do a sort of gradual entry -- maybe 2 hours on day one, 4 hours for a week, and then full day. I suspect the hardest part of the transition if she is used to a nanny or other scenerio is the over stimulation! She will be TIRED out! I would personally do gradual entry if possible just so she does not get over tired. But if she is a very active and outgoing child, it may not be necessary. And really, nothing is *necessary*. They are pros and will help her out if you just dump her in full day from day one anyways!

Have you asked them what they recommend? Most places have a protocol.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Tacori E-ring said:
Q, I am sure your inlaws are wonderful and how generous of them watching her for the last two years (I am a tad jealous!) but she will LOVE it! They do all kinds of stuff I am unable or unwilling (no painting with chocolate pudding at my house!) at home. She will make friends, learn songs, stories, play outside...it will be WONDERFUL for her!

Ditto this! I am a truly lame-o mom ;)) No art projects at home, none of that stuff. For fun he helps me vaccum and shop ::)

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dreamer_D said:
Tacori E-ring said:

Ditto this! I am a truly lame-o mom ;)) No art projects at home, none of that stuff. For fun he helps me vaccum and shop ::)

We can be lame together. The fact I have an art degree and don't do creative stuff with my child is pretty pathetic. Oh well. I am tired, busy, tired...we color but that's the extent.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Tacori E-ring said:
Dreamer_D said:
Tacori E-ring said:

We can be lame together. The fact I have an art degree and don't do creative stuff with my child is pretty pathetic. Oh well. I am tired, busy, tired...we color but that's the extent.

I discover all the time how lame I am when Hunter comes home and, for example, I discover he likes to dance to music (we don't play it at home) and how he now knows how to do the patty cake finger play and also is obsessed with Baa baa blacksheep song. I suppose I can take succor in teaching him to swim, but so far it is Daycare 10000, Mommy 5.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results