shape
carat
color
clarity

Premium denim.... is it worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Definitely worth it! But I''m a buyer for a store that specializes in premium denim, so I''m a bit biased!
2.gif

Also, I am totally down with bargain shopping, but in the case of premium denim I think it''s best to get fitted first and worry about price second. There''s no point in paying $100 for a pair of sale jeans that don''t look as good as the $150 pair of full price jeans. (That happens a lot at the store I buy for...customers will try on a great pair of full price jeans but then buy the not as flattering sale pair. And the sale jeans are often still $100!)

Also, for your Sevens I would recommend going down a size because they definitely will stretch out. Same thing for Joe''s if you end up getting them-they stretch a TON. And I don''t know if you tried any Citizens of Humanity jeans, but a great higher rise jean from them is the Amber. And Seven makes a high waist bootcut jean (called exactly that) that''s great, too.

I think higher rise jeans are usually a lot more flattering than a low rise pair of jeans because of muffin top and penny slot (butt crack!)/yanking up issues that always happen with low rise jeans. I basically hate low rise jeans! Anyways, be prepared-there''s no going back once you get premium denim!
3.gif

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/19/2008 3:48:09 PM
Author: AmberGretchen
I''ve generally found its best to be not *quite* at the barely zipping stage but pretty close with brand new Sevens or Joes - the other brands, I tend to go a bit larger.

ETA: try to feel how thick the denim is - the thinner denims tend to stretch a bit more compared to the thicker kinds.

Cool! Thanks Amber. I have got visitors this weekend but will stop back by the mall to try the smaller size. It''s weird buying something that seems too small but I would hate to have them become toooo big and be falling off. That happens a lot with my clothes from Old Navy and Ann Taylor Loft and annoys the heck out of me. Thanks again for the insight.

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/20/2008 9:10:25 AM
Author: LitigatorChick
I love my designer jeans. Most of all for me is I am able to find jeans that are long enough - Rock & Republics have a 36 inch inseam - yahhhh!! I just find that they fit better, hold their shape better, etc.

Couple of words of warning - first, they do stretch out as mentioned above, so buy on the snug side. Second, be carefull when buying online. I have found that a size 24 of Rock & Republics fits and the very next pair of R&Rs (same style) does not fit.

I am surprised by the low-rise hating. I love my low rise jeans!!!

hi LitChick! Cool, thanks for sharing your experience and advice. Good to know (although frustrating) that the sizing is so inconsistent with buying online. As for the low rise situation, it''s exactly as Thing2of2 mentions later in the thread. Basically i am always hiking them up. I really don''t like showing underwear or "penny slot" so I''m very aware of the back situation. Also, I have a tummy that is not flattered by low rise jeans! Sounds like you are very slim, so I can see why the low rise is a good choice for you.

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/20/2008 11:18:52 AM
Author: Fancy605
I love designer jeans too, and I am a DIE HARD sales/deals girl, but when it comes to a good pair of jeans, sometimes a splurge is in order. I particularly like the Sevens and Citizens that I have. You can get good deals on them too if you look. I found my favorite pair at Marshall''s of all places. My sister found some WAY CUTE Rock & Republics at the Nordstrom''s Clearance Center. Anyway, the fit is usually just amazing. It''s hard to find jeans that are Long enough, small enough in the waist, and roomy enough in the butt, but for some reason designer jeans understand curves and height. I search around TJ Maxx, Marshalls, Off 5th, Nordstrom''s Rack, and places like that from time to time. Sometimes you get lucky.

I won''t say once you buy them, you''ll never go back. I have a SUPER dark, Super cute pair of jeans from AT Loft that fit PERFECTLY, and were on Sale to boot ($31!). People are surprised when they ask me what they are b/c I usually wear my others.

hi Fancy, OK now I have a new bargain hunting mission - finding great fitting designer denim at Marshalls etc! Fun! Yeah, I agree it is hard to find jeans that are long enogh, small enough in the waist, but roomy enough in the hips/thighs. Fit is so important. Funny you mention AT Loft, I recently bought a pair of very dark trouser style jeans there on sale also, and I get lots of compliments on them too!

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/20/2008 4:00:02 PM
Author: Rosebud8506
100% worth it! I find that the material is SO much better than if I buy at Express or Limited, etc. They do not stretch out on me at all (my fav''s are Citizens of Humanity, the Ingrid style) vs. other cheaper jeans. I bought my first pair 3 years ago and they are still fitting perfectly. Buy a size smaller than what you would think you are (ask for help when at the store, the sales girls should know the effects on certain types of denim) premium denim tends to be a bit snug when you try them on, but they stretch out to fit you perfectly after a few hours. Make sure you launder them inside out and air dry. I never ever throw them in the drier. Helps to keep them like new
1.gif

We have a Nordstrom Rack near us, and they do tend to have a lot of Sevens, Paige''s and Joe''s to name a few all for $99.99 or less - so yes, look around!! It is worth the extra hunting once you know what brand you tend to favor.

Only negative I have found on designer jeans is that I am shorter (5''5'' to be exact), and unless I plan on wearing super wedges or higher heeled boots or shoes, the jeans are very long on me. I can''t really wear them with flats or flip flops unless you have them tailored. Still worth it though!! Good luck hunting!

Thanks for replying, Rosebud! I am 5 8 and when I was trying on the jeans (34 inch inseam) I was thinking, this may be the first pair of jeans that I''ve ever had to get shortened in my life. I can imagine it is frustrating for people shorter! I do remember about 10 yrs ago I felt like I could NOT find jeans long enough (I think shorter was in fashion) so I guess everything goes around and comes around :) That is a great idea to air dry the jeans. I would not have thought of that but I will do it!

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/20/2008 11:39:40 AM
Author: neatfreak
Totally worth it IF you spend the time to find a proper fitting pair. IMO that is the best reason to buy designer denim, the fit is just unbeatable when you find the right jeans.

Thanks neatfreak! Good to have another vote for the premium denim!

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/20/2008 9:55:21 PM
Author: thing2of2
Definitely worth it! But I''m a buyer for a store that specializes in premium denim, so I''m a bit biased!
2.gif

Also, I am totally down with bargain shopping, but in the case of premium denim I think it''s best to get fitted first and worry about price second. There''s no point in paying $100 for a pair of sale jeans that don''t look as good as the $150 pair of full price jeans. (That happens a lot at the store I buy for...customers will try on a great pair of full price jeans but then buy the not as flattering sale pair. And the sale jeans are often still $100!)

Also, for your Sevens I would recommend going down a size because they definitely will stretch out. Same thing for Joe''s if you end up getting them-they stretch a TON. And I don''t know if you tried any Citizens of Humanity jeans, but a great higher rise jean from them is the Amber. And Seven makes a high waist bootcut jean (called exactly that) that''s great, too.

I think higher rise jeans are usually a lot more flattering than a low rise pair of jeans because of muffin top and penny slot (butt crack!)/yanking up issues that always happen with low rise jeans. I basically hate low rise jeans! Anyways, be prepared-there''s no going back once you get premium denim!
3.gif

Thing2, what a COOL job you have! I hope we do have the NC GTG and that you can come - would love to meet you and hear more about your job! I really appreciate your expert advice and I will check out the Amber and the Seven high waisted bootcut! I totally agree to get the right pair even if they cost a bit more. The salesgirls were not actually that helpful but my friend was - she picked out all the pairs she thought would be good and critiqued them on me, and we narrowed it down to the Joes and the Sevens. It is great to have an honest shopping buddy!

I could not agree more re: the low rise situation, and I love the term "penny slot" - so accurate and easier to use in polite conversation than "butt crack" - I will have to add that to my fitting-room lingo! (along with "camel toe" which is another favorite shopping expression!)

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/21/2008 1:01:02 AM
Author: TanDogMom
Date: 6/20/2008 9:55:21 PM

Author: thing2of2

2.gif

3.gif

Thing2, what a COOL job you have! I hope we do have the NC GTG and that you can come - would love to meet you and hear more about your job! I really appreciate your expert advice and I will check out the Amber and the Seven high waisted bootcut! I totally agree to get the right pair even if they cost a bit more. The salesgirls were not actually that helpful but my friend was - she picked out all the pairs she thought would be good and critiqued them on me, and we narrowed it down to the Joes and the Sevens. It is great to have an honest shopping buddy!

I could not agree more re: the low rise situation, and I love the term ''penny slot'' - so accurate and easier to use in polite conversation than ''butt crack'' - I will have to add that to my fitting-room lingo! (along with ''camel toe'' which is another favorite shopping expression!)

Hahaha-glad I could pass along the penny slot term! I''m not sure where it came from, actually, but I say it a lot! And camel toe...
6.gif
Let me just say that the legging as pants thing caught on like wild fire where I live and man oh man I had to bite my tongue several times so I didn''t walk up to perfect strangers and point out their CT. Yikes.

Anyways, I hope I can come to a NC GTG if it happens, too! I would still love to meet some PSers in real life. My job is super fun-I love it! That''s a bummer the salesgirls weren''t very helpful. It sounds like you found a couple of great options anyways, though. If there''s a denim boutique in your area I would recommend going there next time-usually there are several fit experts at boutiques! I used to work on the floor and I could find the right pair of jeans for pretty much anyone!

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/20/2008 4:00:02 PM
100% worth it! I find that the material is SO much better than if I buy at Express or Limited, etc. They do not stretch out on me at all (my fav''s are Citizens of Humanity, the Ingrid style) vs. other cheaper jeans. I bought my first pair 3 years ago and they are still fitting perfectly. Buy a size smaller than what you would think you are (ask for help when at the store, the sales girls should know the effects on certain types of denim) premium denim tends to be a bit snug when you try them on, but they stretch out to fit you perfectly after a few hours. Make sure you launder them inside out and air dry. I never ever throw them in the drier. Helps to keep them like new
1.gif

We have a Nordstrom Rack near us, and they do tend to have a lot of Sevens, Paige''s and Joe''s to name a few all for $99.99 or less - so yes, look around!! It is worth the extra hunting once you know what brand you tend to favor.

Only negative I have found on designer jeans is that I am shorter (5''5'' to be exact), and unless I plan on wearing super wedges or higher heeled boots or shoes, the jeans are very long on me. I can''t really wear them with flats or flip flops unless you have them tailored. Still worth it though!! Good luck hunting!

Rosebud, you should definitely try some of the new petite fits a lot of the designer denim companies have come out with! The Citizens of Humanity Dita is a petite bootcut and it''s about a 31" inseam, I believe. Joe''s makes the Petite Provocateur that is about a 31" inseam, too. Seven has put out a few petite jeans (Lexie A Pocket is one) as well as a short bootcut that is just their regular bootcut with a shorter inseam. However, sometimes in between people are not quite short enough for petite but too short for the looooong inseams and end up having to get the long ones hemmed. But the shorter inseams are worth a try!

Rosebud8506

Brilliant_Rock
Ooh thanks thing2of2! I will have to check out those citizens you mentioned. I have a pair of sevens that are bootcut which I can get away with wearing flip flops, but my other citizens pairs are WAYYYY too long...

tandogmom: I think you are right about denim being a bit on the shorter side about 10 yrs ago. My girlfriend is 6 feet tall on the dot and she had an awful time, and I mean AWFUL time trying to find jeans for her longer length. So I guess it is a good thing nowadays for you taller ladies!!

LitigatorChick

Brilliant_Rock
If you are tall, then premium denim is for you!!! I love that I walk on my R&Rs when in flats - so awesome!!!! I have always struggled with pants that are too short (that''s why I almost always wear skirts!), and it is such a relief to have jeans that are more than long enough.

Fancy605

Brilliant_Rock
Speaking of long jeans.... This is a slight bit OT, but if you suffer from long leg syndrome, you may wanna check out Banana Republic''s current sale. I was just in there yesterday, and their regular (not even long) length jeans are SUPER long. I was in there and tried these http://www.bananarepublic.com/browse/product.do?cid=36533&pid=564583

They WERE soo long. I was walking all over them, which is very unusual. They were actually just $33 in the store. Anyway, they have lots of other styles too, so if you''re hunting long jeans for a great deal, you may wanna check em out. They aren''t designer, but still pretty nice.

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Fancy! I do have a pair from Banana that I really like (although they stretch like crazy) - I will check out their sale next time I am there, thank you for thinking of me!

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/22/2008 9:20:24 PM
Ooh thanks thing2of2! I will have to check out those citizens you mentioned. I have a pair of sevens that are bootcut which I can get away with wearing flip flops, but my other citizens pairs are WAYYYY too long...

tandogmom: I think you are right about denim being a bit on the shorter side about 10 yrs ago. My girlfriend is 6 feet tall on the dot and she had an awful time, and I mean AWFUL time trying to find jeans for her longer length. So I guess it is a good thing nowadays for you taller ladies!!

Rosebud, have you checked out the Joe's Provocateur? It has a 31 inch inseam. I was so excited to see Joe's at the outlet in my size, that I tried it on and loved it, but I could not figure out why the length was too short. Then I realized it was petite! Anyway, the jeans fit me perfectly (aside from length) and were really flattering, so that might be one to check out!

ETA I see this is one that Thing2 recommended too, so this is another vote!

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
Quick update, I still haven''t worn my new jeans b/c I need to go and try on the size down and see if I should exchange... but am definitely going to keep a pair, you guys convinced me! Even DH agreed it was worth the splurge since jeans last so long, and he thought the Sevens looked great on me.

LitigatorChick

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/24/2008 12:49:47 PM
Speaking of long jeans.... This is a slight bit OT, but if you suffer from long leg syndrome, you may wanna check out Banana Republic''s current sale. I was just in there yesterday, and their regular (not even long) length jeans are SUPER long. I was in there and tried these http://www.bananarepublic.com/browse/product.do?cid=36533&pid=564583

They WERE soo long. I was walking all over them, which is very unusual. They were actually just $33 in the store. Anyway, they have lots of other styles too, so if you''re hunting long jeans for a great deal, you may wanna check em out. They aren''t designer, but still pretty nice.
That surprises me. I have never found a pair of BR pants or jeans that are long enough.

Fancy605

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/25/2008 2:07:03 PM
Author: LitigatorChick
Date: 6/24/2008 12:49:47 PM

That surprises me. I have never found a pair of BR pants or jeans that are long enough.

well... I should say some of them run long. I don''t shop there very often because until recently there hasn''t been one in my area, so maybe this isn''t the norm. The ones I tried sure were long though. They had to have been at least 36'''' in the inseam. I tried on a few other pairs, and they were plenty long. The sales associate mentioned that the jeans seemed to be running long, but perhaps she meant jeans that particular season.

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Tandogmom - did you ever get around to returning your jeans? Are you loving them?

A note for those who are on the shorter side - Bloomingdales has an amazing selection of designer petite denim. I went yesterday and my mom treated me to two new pairs as a congrats gift for getting into some competitive summer programs. I got the Paige petite jeans in a nice dark wash, that don''t even have to be hemmed (!!), and some insanely flattering COH jeans - the Kelly style, which I''d never been able to wear before, but this pair/size fit perfectly. Those did have to be hemmed, but I''m picking them up on Monday and I can''t WAIT to wear them
9.gif
Oh, and a word of caution - the Paige petite jeans run small, so you''ll probably have to go up a size or two. I''m usually a 27 in COH or SFAM, and had to get 28''s in the Paiges - salesgirl said that is pretty normal.

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/1/2008 3:35:38 PM
Tandogmom - did you ever get around to returning your jeans? Are you loving them?

A note for those who are on the shorter side - Bloomingdales has an amazing selection of designer petite denim. I went yesterday and my mom treated me to two new pairs as a congrats gift for getting into some competitive summer programs. I got the Paige petite jeans in a nice dark wash, that don''t even have to be hemmed (!!), and some insanely flattering COH jeans - the Kelly style, which I''d never been able to wear before, but this pair/size fit perfectly. Those did have to be hemmed, but I''m picking them up on Monday and I can''t WAIT to wear them
9.gif
Oh, and a word of caution - the Paige petite jeans run small, so you''ll probably have to go up a size or two. I''m usually a 27 in COH or SFAM, and had to get 28''s in the Paiges - salesgirl said that is pretty normal.

Amber, thanks for asking! I hope you are enjoying your new jeans!

So I got ready to wear my jeans out the other day, and realized that they are just a bit too low cut for me. I had to be careful to avoid the "penny slot" when sitting down. I want to try the higher rise ones. Of course my Nordstrom said they do not have the high rise in the nice color and type of denim that the regular bootcut comes in
7.gif
They said they had a lightweight denim only. I couldn''t decide whether to just wear and enjoy the normal bootcut jeans, search around elsewhere for the high rise ones, or just return the jeans and see what''s available in the fall. I will figure it out!

I feel like I''ve become so OCD lately - everything has to be just perfect! Oh well!

Rosebud8506

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/24/2008 1:05:03 PM

Rosebud, have you checked out the Joe''s Provocateur? It has a 31 inch inseam. I was so excited to see Joe''s at the outlet in my size, that I tried it on and loved it, but I could not figure out why the length was too short. Then I realized it was petite! Anyway, the jeans fit me perfectly (aside from length) and were really flattering, so that might be one to check out!

I will have to check out Joe''s! I never tried those on before. What do they run? $150 -ish?

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/2/2008 10:14:40 AM
Date: 6/24/2008 1:05:03 PM

Rosebud, have you checked out the Joe''s Provocateur? It has a 31 inch inseam. I was so excited to see Joe''s at the outlet in my size, that I tried it on and loved it, but I could not figure out why the length was too short. Then I realized it was petite! Anyway, the jeans fit me perfectly (aside from length) and were really flattering, so that might be one to check out!

I will have to check out Joe''s! I never tried those on before. What do they run? $150 -ish?

That sounds about right. The pair I tried on was $99 but that was at an outlet. I loved the way they fit!

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
TDM - I do''nt think that''s OCD, I think that''s totally reasonable. Nobody should have to show penny slot when they sit down in a pair of $$$ jeans. Have you tried Bloomingdales? Do you have one near you? Or is there perhaps a denim boutique of some kind? I only ask because I feel like they might have larger selections with some that are higher-cut.

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Amber. We don't have bloomingdales here. My friends who are bigger shoppers than I said that Nordstrom has the best selection in our area, but I can check some of the boutiques - that is a great idea. I might try to order the high rise ones from somewhere with reasonable shipping and see what I think. I haven't been wearing jeans a whole lot in the summer anyway so I guess there is no rush. I love how the Sevens flatter the butt and I love to wash of the denim and the crease and the fading, so I have high hopes to find the exact same jeans with just a higher rise. I hope I like the high rise and that it doesn't feel like old school "mom jeans" :) When I put the sevens on to go out, DH said "wow" but then I put on my new Ann Taylor higher rise jeans (similar color and style, much less expensive) and he thought they looked even better because the higher rise was more flattering to the stomach :)

thanks again for all your help on the jeans! Shame we aren't local to eachother, it would be a lot of fun to shop together!

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/2/2008 12:18:15 PM

thanks again for all your help on the jeans! Shame we aren't local to eachother, it would be a lot of fun to shop together!

I agree - I ADORE shopping. I have a feeling we might bond about dogs too - DH and I both LOVE them
9.gif

If you're ever out near San Francisco let me know - we definitely have TONS of places for jeans shopping here
2.gif

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/2/2008 12:24:59 PM
Date: 7/2/2008 12:18:15 PM

thanks again for all your help on the jeans! Shame we aren''t local to eachother, it would be a lot of fun to shop together!

I agree - I ADORE shopping. I have a feeling we might bond about dogs too - DH and I both LOVE them
9.gif

If you''re ever out near San Francisco let me know - we definitely have TONS of places for jeans shopping here
2.gif

Your city is one of my favorites of anywhere I''ve ever visited. I''ll let you know if we are going to be out there again! I think we would have tons to talk about! My DH and I both love dogs too, and of course you know I love shopping.
Yesterday I read an article in the paper about people adopting dogs from the Carribean. Have you heard about this?
www.potcakeplace.com
The stories are so sad... of course now I am lobbying DH for us to take a trip to Turks and Caicos so that we can adopt or at least help out! The Potcake dogs remind me so much of my dogs (medium sized shepherd mixes).

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
I''d not seen that website, but what a cool idea.

We have something sort of similar in this area - an organization called Rocket Dog Rescue that sometimes rescues abused or neglected dogs from Asian countries and then brings them back and fosters them until they are well enough to be adopted.

I totally think that would be a perfect trip - beautiful place, and rescue a doggie in need
9.gif

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/2/2008 7:18:48 PM
I''d not seen that website, but what a cool idea.

We have something sort of similar in this area - an organization called Rocket Dog Rescue that sometimes rescues abused or neglected dogs from Asian countries and then brings them back and fosters them until they are well enough to be adopted.

I totally think that would be a perfect trip - beautiful place, and rescue a doggie in need
9.gif

Sounds like my perfect vacation!

That''s neat about the rocket dog rescue!

By the way I decided to keep the SFAM jeans!! After wearing them around the house today I decided they are fine and I am tired of looking for jeans online, so I''m keeping them! They are lower rise but with a belt they fit great and most of my tops now are longer anyways so I think it will be OK. When I put them on I feel like I just lost 10 lbs. The fit is great! I think I''m hooked - so yep, answered my original question - it''s worth it!

I realized something interesting today too - Sevens for All Mankind are not the same company as Seven7. I have some Seven7 capri jeans that I like, and figured it was the cheaper version or something of SFAM but I googled and I guess it is not the same at all! I am surprised they are allowed to have such a similar name. I wonder if most people know this.

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
I''m so glad you decided to keep them. It really is amazing how awesome the right pair can make you feel and look, isn''t it? I''m totally hooked and I don''t think I''ll ever go back. I wear my other jeans for lab work or dog training at the shelter, but my designer jeans can''t be beat for dressing up a bit more
9.gif

Carbonlove

Rough_Rock
Worth every penny! I have like 20 pairs! Unfortunately, I''ve gained weight and will have to sell them on Ebay. I even have 3 pairs with tags!
39.gif
Whenever I see jeans that look exceptional on people they are always premium. They just make you look great! I love Rock & Republic because they make my legs look like a models. I agree you need to buy them tight because they stretch, but after you wash them, just a warning, they will be super tight!

violet02

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/1/2008 3:35:38 PM

9.gif
I LOVE LOVE LOVE my paige jeans! I got a pair a month ago. They are dark wash and yes they DO run small. I had to go up a size as well. I also just recently bought 2 pairs of Hudson Jeans which I really really like. I usually buy Joe''s and Seven Jeans. I have a pair of True Religion that fit great but I don''t wear them a ton. I ALSO have the Honey Joe''s Jeans in the dark wash.... I''m a HUGE premium denim fan. I live in jeans!! I never realized how great jeans could fit until I started buying premium jeans. I have wider hips and a bigger booty and buying jeans that were cut better and lower really did the trick. And I also buy my jeans a bit tight, they do stretch out.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results