shape
carat
color
clarity

Premium Cut RB Color: H vs. I

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

N2D-986S

Rough_Rock
First off, as a lurker for a few weeks now I have to give a huge Thank You to everyone on this forum, I have learned so much in such a short time period about diamonds. I am just starting my search for a diamond for an engagment ring for my girlfriend and since I have been starting from scratch and like perfection I have had a hard time justifiying the balance between the 4 Cs and my budget along with my girlfriend''s 1 dream which is size. While I would prefer to go for a slightly smaller more perfect stone in color and clarity size is the #1 important factor and then Cut is my second (I must have perfection somewhere
1.gif
)

So here are the basics of what I am looking at:

RB Super Ideal type Cut - WF ACA or a GOG H&A are my top choices due to the recoomendations on this forum.
Size: 2ct minimum
VS Clarity (it is kind of the mental issue with going into the SI level)

Color - this is where I have a question. I started off looking for an F or G. Then I realized that the cut is the #1 thing to look for and so my budget will not allow for the cut with an F color. So I moved into G and considered H but there really are not a lot of choices in the G range and just a handful in the H range. Factoring in Price and the G is a stretch, the H is more inline but now I am looking at a custom setting too so factoring that in and the I color range seems to be priced just right. There are also a lot more I colored premium cut stones on the market. So my questions are:

1: Why are there so few super premium cut stones in the higher color levels? Do you not need such a high colored stone when the stone is larger (2ct) with such a good cut?

2: What is the real difference between H and I colors? I have looked at the FAQs but want to hear user''s experience. My girlfriend is semi color sensitive and could see a very minor difference between F and G at a B&M store. Will an I colored stone be that much more colored? Than a G or even an H? We have discussed going to H and she is fine with that but I feel going to I may be pushing it.

3: Price: Why is there a price difference of only on average $2K between the same sort of stones in a G color and an H color yet there is closer to a $4K price difference between an H color and an I color in the 2ct VS range? Is the color that much more noticable between the I and H levels to warrant a much more significant difference?

Thanks for all of the help, I now feel that I am embarking on an adventure with a map instead of trying to navigate by the stars, Price Scope is GREAT!

diamanteperfetto

Rough_Rock
First off... I just purchased an I colored "A Cut Above" diamond from Whiteflash. I could not be happier.

There are a few things that allowed me to do this.

1. My girlfriend and I are not very color sensitive.
2. I am a poor college and will not finance anything :)!
3. My diamond is much smaller than 2 ct. (1.25 ct.)

I think that in this size range the color will be more noticeable. IF you girlfriend is very color sensitive and it bothers her, you will probably want to avoid an I color. But IF it does not bother her and she would much rather have the size, I would go for it. It is a way to allow you to get the size, cut quality, just by merely sacrificing the color. There are many large diamonds in this forum of J color that I think look beautiful.

In the end, it is truly your call.

Best of luck!

MrNyceGuy

Rough_Rock
Hey there. I''m very much in the same boat as you are. I''m currently working through Whiteflash to provide pictures and an analysis of a 2.5ct J VS2 stone with Ideal cut. It''s not ACA, but close. Cut is king as far as I am concerned. My budget is around $19,000 or so and I was originally considering G-H color as you were. Since viewing a lot of postings here on PriceScope I was able to see how beautiful I and J color stones really are. Personally, I can''t tell much of a difference unless they were compared side by side, and even then the premium paid for higher color stones just makes me wonder if it''s really worth it. I could talk about it all day, but if you want to see for yourself take a look at this J color stone only thread. Lots of 2-3 ct stones in there set in platinum and even a few K color stones that look awesome! : https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/j-color-stones-in-platinum.24731/

I''m either having WF do a custom setting for me similar to their v-head tiffany solitaire or going with Mark Morrell''s Subburst with a slight modification. Good luck with your decision and let us know what you decide!

N2D-986S

Rough_Rock
Thnaks for the info. I checked out the thread that MrNyceGuy receommended and sent a pic of the E vs. J comparison to my GF and she could see a slight difference. Looks like she is much more color sensitive than I am. I will have to play with her mind a bit more sending random comparison pics in various colors and see. She is going to think I am crazy but if I have to stick with H I will even though I would really prefer to buy I right now.

MrNyceGuy, may I ask what modifications your are looking for on the Mark Morrell Sunburst? That is the same setting I have decided on but want to make a modification too. I haven't called Mark to see if he is willing to make the change or not, I figure I will do that in the next week or so. That setting is absolutly amazing though.

I never would have thought I would get this into buying an E-Ring and be able to tell slight differences between settings.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results