shape
carat
color
clarity

Precision cut pears?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I feel like I rarely see pear cuts on the websites of precision cutters, is it just because pears are generally inefficient use of rough?

I''d love to see some photos of precision cut pears if you have them!
9.gif

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
This is my Morganite pear from Mastercutgems. I have photographed it next to my window in the morning sunlight. I have it set in a 14k yellow gold pendant with a 0.15 ct accent diamond. I am always looking for great pears for pendants, and I am very pleased with this stone. As you can see, the vendor photo was awful, probably because this stone is very reflective and there was a lot of black in the environment when the photo was taken. I would love to see more precision cut pears. I get wonderful comments from people all the time while wearing this beauty. It is awesomely gorgeous.

The description read: THIS IS A VERY LOVELY MORGANITE THAT I CUT MANY YEARS AGO; IT WAS A COMPETITON CUT THAT I WAS PRACTISING FOR ONE OF THE INTERNATION COMPETITIONS I WAS DOING. IT TURMED OUT TO BE A VERY LIVELY CUT FOR A PEAR. I HAD SAVED IT BACK AND DECIDED TO PUT IT ON WITH MY NEW VENTURE "THE WEBSITE" . THIS GEM IS A LOVELY PINK-PEACH AND IT IS NOT WASHED OUT IN COLOR OR BRILLIANCE. THIS WOULD BE A GREAT PENDANT. THIS GEM HAS NO ENHANCEMENTS AND IS TOTALLY NATURAL.

The specs are: 4.35 CARAT
16 X 9 mm
VS 2 - SI 1
BRILLIANT PEAR
PEACH-PINK

MorganitePend7888.JPG

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Unless I''m cutting to a specific design for a client I rarely cut a pear shape, (unless the rough is just begging to be cut that way). The reason is that most women want to set their stones in rings and since pears aren''t symmetrical they aren''t as popular and don''t sell as rapidly as more symmetrical shapes. Here''s an aqua that I cut for my sister which weighed somewhere around 3 or 4 carats and was eventually set into a pendant.

Missy Aqua3.jpg

AustenNut

Brilliant_Rock
Well, I for one would love to see more pears out there, as I''m looking for gems more for earrings and necklaces rather than rings. Unfortunately, I guess I''m in the minority!

And FlyGirl, that is a beautiful pendant. Thanks for posting it!

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I concur with Michael, pears don''t sell well. They do also take longer than most other cuts. By far, the fastest stone to cut is a round.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ah, well, I know nothing of cutting, but that would make sense as to why pears aren''t commonly seen.

One day I guess I''ll just have to specially request one if I want one for a pendant. I think they look just lovely as earrings and pendant stones.

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
I love pear shapes and FG's pendant is truly gorgeous, a nicely shaped pear is wonderful for a necklace, it's a very feminine shape. I just purchased a spess pear, not precision cut though.

Edit: Swalagemtraders have some nice pears.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Gary Braun has a new spess pear..

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/24/2009 10:49:06 PM
Author: arjunajane
Gary Braun has a new spess pear..
Gary also has this 10.41 ct golden beryl pear, which would make for a stunning pendant.

Thank you for the nice comments on my morganite, AustenNut and LG. And, thank you, MTG, for bringing up this topic. I love pears for pendants and earrings, and I wish there were more out there as well. As I discovered with my morganite pendant, a precision cut stone can really catch people's eye.

GaryFinewater7643279.jpg

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hehe, I thought kind of silly since I saw Gary''s new pear right after I posted this topic, and he mentioned that pears are harder to cut.

The spess pear is really pretty. I just wish the color was more red, like the other new garnets. Ah well.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
R W Wise has quite a few pears on his site. Link This 1.04 ct mint greenish blue tourmaline is currently on his sale list. He also has a 7.74 ct spess cut in a long pear that he rates a 9.9 out of 10, and is featuring on his home page along with the plea to let them make it into a pendant.
2.gif

RWWise1606_1.jpg

AustenNut

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the Richard Wise link, FlyGirl. My only issue with some of the pears that are coming up on the precision cutters'' websites is the size. 8x6 is a ring size, and on a pendant (for me) it gets totally lost.

I guess I understand the cutters'' reluctance to cut pears, as how many times does someone say I want this color, and though this one has the right size, the color is just a bit off from what I had wanted. I guess this just means we have to contact the cutters to see if they''re willing and able to do a piece in the size that we want.

haagen_dazs

Brilliant_Rock
hi
could someone explain what it means by precision cut?
does that mean that the coloured gem undergoes very specific angle cuts and has excellent cut symmetry as oppose to haphazard facet cuttings to maximise colour?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/25/2009 5:11:04 PM
Author: haagen_dazs
hi

does that mean that the coloured gem undergoes very specific angle cuts and has excellent cut symmetry as oppose to haphazard facet cuttings to maximise colour?

I would not classify all native cutting as haphazard cutting. Some native cutting are very well done. Precision cutting means that every angle has been planned via computer software, cut to specific angles, all the meet points really meet in the correct place and with excellent polish and symmetry.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here''s a precision cut concave aquamarine pear.

AQ4717BACS.jpg

AustenNut

Brilliant_Rock
What are the specs and/or who''s the vendor for that aquamarine, Chrono?

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 10/25/2009 5:11:04 PM
hi

A precision cut stone is one that is typically cut on a faceting machine, verses one that is cut on a jam peg or other similar equipment. The difference is that on a faceting machine the angles and index or rotation can be controlled and repeated. This means that a facet can be cut and pre-polishied, and the you can return to the same facet and put a final polish on it. Most people cutting in the US, Australia, Germany and Russia are using faceting machines and very high polish. We typically polish with 100,000 grit polish. A jam peg cutter, can not return to a prepolished facet and polish it, so he uses a much lower grade polish that will both cut an polish in one step. This could be 8000 grit or less. If you look closely at the facets you will see these polish marks. It''s like someone making furniture and sanding the wood with a 80 grit paper and calling it finished, compared to a real craftsman using 600 paper.

Many of the designs that a precision cutter uses are modeled and tested in software, but not all. Standard rounds are standard rounds, no need to model an Asscher cut or a emerald cuts. Many precision cutters don''t model anything, but do understand what the critical angles are, and of course the facets meet properly and the polish is much higher.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/25/2009 7:19:27 PM
Author: AustenNut
What are the specs and/or who''s the vendor for that aquamarine, Chrono?
I purchased that from ACS many years ago (when Barbara was still running ACS). I know it is more than 3 ct but other than that, I can''t remember. It''s been sitting in my safety deposit box forever because I never got to setting it. It was meant to go with a carved tourmaline into a pendant setting.

haagen_dazs

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/25/2009 5:16:37 PM
Author: Chrono
Here''s a precision cut concave aquamarine pear.
oh my god
my jaw dropped.

haagen_dazs

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/25/2009 7:51:24 PM
Author: PrecisionGem

A precision cut stone is one that is typically cut on a faceting machine, .

Is this an example of a faceting machine?
http://www.customgemstones.com/GEMCUT/GEMCUT.HTM

If a stone is cut on a faceting machine, is that enough to term the stone a precision cut stone OR does it ALSO have to be done "via computer software, cut to specific angles, all the meet points really meet in the correct place and with excellent polish and symmetry." (quoting Chrono)

Thanks

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/26/2009 10:25:14 PM

Date: 10/25/2009 7:51:24 PM
Author: PrecisionGem

A precision cut stone is one that is typically cut on a faceting machine, .

Is this an example of a faceting machine?
http://www.customgemstones.com/GEMCUT/GEMCUT.HTM

If a stone is cut on a faceting machine, is that enough to term the stone a precision cut stone OR does it ALSO have to be done ''via computer software, cut to specific angles, all the meet points really meet in the correct place and with excellent polish and symmetry.'' (quoting Chrono)

Thanks
Mark - Dan says in the text that it is a faceting machine. As for your other question, Precision Gem has already answered it in his explanation above. See his last sentence.

haagen_dazs

Brilliant_Rock
thanks Fly Girl
oppz i was to excited and i forgot to read his last paragraph
3.gif

AustenNut

Brilliant_Rock
Very nice stone, Chrono. I look forward to seeing pictures when you finally set it!
31.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
*sigh*...

tans prec pear.jpg

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/27/2009 1:55:55 AM
*sigh*...
Lovely blue colour! Did you get this one AJ?

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/27/2009 5:43:31 AM
Author: Lovinggems
Date: 10/27/2009 1:55:55 AM

*sigh*...
Lovely blue colour! Did you get this one AJ?

Unfortunately no LG! Isn''t the colour a beauty? This is one of the first coloured pears I saw I really dug - I like my pears chubby, lol..

Not mine I''m afraid - I''m not 100% but I believe this is a Peter T tanzanite..
30.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results