shape
carat
color
clarity

PP Giant Freshwater and onyx links necklace:

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
Well, it arrived! A day late with a beaten up box, but it arrived!

I have never seen anything like this piece!!! When I opened the box, I started laughing in glee. The pearls are SO huge and unusual and cool and the sound of the onyx clinking against the pearls is delightful. Like a glass wind-chime.

The pearls look like huge icy pieces of glaciers.

But, sigh, it is one heavy piece weighing in at 5.74 ounces. To put this piece in weight perspective: the torsade that was too heavy for me was about a 4 ounces and my WSS strand is 3.25 ounces. I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to return this incredible necklace, but I don't want to! I really don't want to!

Glamour shots:

Overview:

4240_1_0.jpg

4240_2_0.jpg

overview_1.jpg

overview_2.jpg

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
Frosty close-ups:

overview_3.jpg

close-up_10.jpg

close-up_11.jpg

close-up_12.jpg

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
Neck shots rotating the piece:

neck_shot_16.jpg

neck_shot_17.jpg

neck_shot_18.jpg

neck_shot_19.jpg

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
The reason I'll have to return it (sniffle):

As I've written before, weights over, I guess, 3.25 ounces press something in the back/sides of my neck which makes my throat constrict. They're not tight, you can see this necklace is long, but the weight causes a physiological reaction in me which constricts my throat.

And that is the reason I didn't dare buy the two strands of round multi-color Tahitians that Fly Girl ended up buying! I was afraid they'd end up feeling too heavy on me.

I hope this necklace finds a happy home and we get to see tons of neck shots. I would call this piece magnificent!

weight___5.jpg

4Ranch Girl

Brilliant_Rock
OK here is a very hokey idea...a thin piece of filliment tied to the necklace in the back and safety pinned to the back of your dress or shirt. Where the weight would be on the dress rather than the neck. The necklace is really beautiful and I can see it on you. If this doesn't work and it is to heavy and hurts send it back. Not worth keeping there will always be another pearl.

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
The luster and pink/gold/green overtones are to die for. These are crazy and gorgeous pearls!

Pirard

Brilliant_Rock
I totally understand what you are saying about the weight of the piece...it is gorgeous, but too gorgeous to be kept in a box forever. I have way too many things that I've purchased because they are pretty, but have never worn. You should do what your gut is telling you to do!

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can't wear things that are too heavy either....no matter how gorgeous they are (and that thing is not only HUGE it is STUNNING). They make my neck and shoulders ache by the end of the day.

The upside is that someone else might be really, really happy with the piece, especially after you have showcased it so beautifully here. I had no idea of the scale of it before you showed your neck shots, and the luster those pearls have is amazing.

I ended up sending back the encircled Tahitian earrings too as they were too heavy and made my ears ache, even though they were beautiful as well. My hope with them too is that they will find their way to a happy home (if anyone wants them, they should arrive back at PP in about 2 - 3 days).

CRDKeshi

Shiny_Rock
Aw, I'm so sorry this is too heavy bsomlo ... but if it makes you feel like you're choking, you have no choice. At least you got to handle it and admire it, and show everyone here to help it find a new home :)

CRDKeshi

Shiny_Rock
One passing thought though ... have it taken apart, and create earrings, a shorter necklace and a bracelet ... ?

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow. That's MrT kind of a weight. It didn't look like it was that heavy. I wonder what the tahitian version will come in at.

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
Oh, way less I'm sure! These are HUGE dense pearls. The onyx is super light. The Tahitian necklace will probably weigh less than a regular Tahitian strand.

Pearl_Girl

Rough_Rock
It's stunning! I love it and am half wishing that I'd bought it. It's certainly much more substantial looking on you than it looked in the photos though.

What a shame that it's too heavy. I would think that most of the weight would come from the onyx? I wonder how heavy my Tahitian version will be.

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
No! The onyx is really light. It's the pearls! They're HUGE and solid!!! I'm telling you, they are bigger than anything you've ever seen or felt! Magnificent.

Why don't you contact PP and have them hold it for you? It was $480 and truly an absolutely one-of-a-kind piece.

juliebeth

Shiny_Rock
WOW! that is spectacular! such a huge shame, bsomlo, that you're going to have to return it! :( but if you'll never wear it...

you should ask hisano if she can source smaller links and smaller pearls. or use the same onyx links (those are just SOOO cool!) and maybe connect them with triple strands of smaller pearls instead of the honkers (lovely though they are!). the concept is just amazing! thank you for the photos!

Pearl_Girl

Rough_Rock
I am so tempted, bsomlo. I thought the pearls would be very similar to the short strand I already have but they aren't. If I hadn't bought my Tahitian and onyx I would definitely buy it.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Bsomlo: I'm sorry to hear it is too heavy for you.

Pearl Girl: go for it!

Frost Me

Brilliant_Rock
baby monster|1410478264|3749347 said:
Wow. That's MrT kind of a weight. It didn't look like it was that heavy. I wonder what the tahitian version will come in at.

OMG, I was laughing out loud at your comment baby monster :D :D :D :D , I think everyone is in a little shock! WOW too heavy for me. I love the idea of the contrast of the onyx with the pearls.

Pearl_Girl

Rough_Rock
I think Hisano did have smaller onyx links available because there was a short Tahitian strand (which didn't appear during the Connoisseur sale) which used small links - so perhaps you could get a smaller strand made up with smaller pearls?

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
All I know is "one of us" needs to own this piece. It'll never come around again and the price is very reasonable.

I wouldn't want to change a thing about it because it was made the way it's supposed to be -- proportions and color/textural contrasts are perfect. Simply too heavy for this gal...

Pearl_Girl

Rough_Rock
I think that person might have to be me ;-) I can't stop looking at your photos...

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
That would make me very happy. I want this piece in the fam. It's so special.

YC

Brilliant_Rock
This is an incredible piece. :love: The pearls are HUGE. I have never seen anything like it. Love it! It is a great pity about the weight.

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fabulous piece, bsomlo! Each pearl is so textured and unique!

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
That is an absolutely gorgeous necklace, I am sorry you won't be able to keep it! I do hope it goes to a PSer

thecat

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Bsomlo, it's gorgeous but I'm sorry to hear that you are having weight issues with it. 5.76 ounces is really too heavy.

Go for it Pearl girl so that it stays in the famiky and we may have more photos

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Very interesting necklace, but time to send it back and replace it with a stunning metallic fireball necklace that is right down your alley. :devil: :lol:

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
You got my number, Fly Girl!!!

pkinnew

Brilliant_Rock
bsomlo - That necklace looks incredible on you but I understand your reason for returning it. I've never seen pearls that large and with such personality! And adding the onyx makes it truly a designer piece. I too hope someone here can get it and keep sharing it with us!

Kay

Ideal_Rock
Wow, that is a serious necklace. The luster looks amazing, and the style is so cool -- it really looks great on you. I was tempted by this piece too, but the pearls would be too big for me -- I need a mini version, lol. I hope it goes to a good home with a PS-er so we can see more photos.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results