shape
carat
color
clarity

Pottery Barn RANT.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

E B

Ideal_Rock
*steams*

I posted a thread a month or so ago about the quality of Pottery Barn furniture, and I'd heard mixed reviews. I did some research on the bed we wanted, and found it was all solid hardwood, so we ordered it. Over a month ago.

It has to be driven from New Jersey (and we're on the other coast), so we waited patiently. We've been sleeping on our old, horrible, sagging mattress on the floor since we've moved into the house, so by the first week, we were pretty eager to be in our new bed.

The day the bed is supposed to be delivered comes and goes. Nothing. Three days pass. Nothing. I call Pottery Barn with an irritated but polite "What's up?", and they tell me, "Silly delivery company in Portland. It's best to call them, because sometimes they don't call to make an appointment for days!"

"Great, thanks," I say, and call the shipping company. After a nice little chat, I'm informed that the bed came SEVERELY damaged and will have to be shipped back only to have a NEW bed driven all the way from New Jersey. PB neglected to tell me this the first time, even though according to the shipping company, they were notified.

Fine.
38.gif

I call Pottery Barn to let them know, and ask if there's any way we can get the bed a little faster this time. I'm promised I'll be called within 45 minutes, the furniture department is SO busy with calls. Gee, wonder why.

45 minutes passes. A day passes. No call. I get an email the next day from someone saying we've been refunded shipping costs, and a new bed is going to be ordered and on its way.

So it's been approx. 2 weeks since the 'new' bed shipped, and I was promised it'd arrive this last Sunday. Monday comes and goes with no call, so I call Pottery Barn again.

"Well, it shipped from NJ on the 2nd, and it hasn't registered in their system yet. I can find it for you, but it may take me several days to track down the bed."

29.gif

I get the number of the delivery company, call, and apparently, the bed is actually supposed to arrive TODAY, not Sunday. They can't find it, but it'll show up at some point, and should we set up a delivery for Saturday?

Sure, fine, whatever.

We paid, including shipping and fees, close to $2k for this bed. Who knows where it'd be if I didn't have to call again and again and again?

And don't even get me started on the problems we've had with them RE: Our wedding registry. I just wish I could wash my hands of the whole mess. For what they charge for their furniture, you think you'd get better service.
38.gif

Ugh, that was long. Thank you for letting me rant.

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
OMG!! Sorry to hear about your PB issue, especially since you have been sleeping pretty much on the floor for so long. Actually, it is quite terrible that they have not tried to make the situation "right" by offer you some sort of a discount or at least something to make it up to you. Let us know how it goes!!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh man that sucks Ebree. So sorry to hear this. I''ve had issues getting furniture delivered so can relate to your situation. Sleeping on a saggy mattress on the floor would get old quick so I know how much you want your bed!!! PB should have informed you that the first bed was damaged!!!
11.gif

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ebree, I feel for you. Sleeping on the floor is no fun, you poor thing.

We once ordered a metal bed from PB (some sort of heavy iron vintage looking thing). Well, they showed up at my house on the right day and on the time that was scheduled... but the headboard was bent nearly in half. They were then pissy when I refused delivery.
20.gif

Good luck getting your bed delivered--hope you''re sleeping in it soon!

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
Aw, nuts! I''m sorry you''re having so much difficulty. If they mess it up again I''d cancel the order. They don''t have the only furniture in town, thank goodness!

I have to say I like Pottery Barn for accessories, but I''ve never gotten furniture there. Our PB has a whole floor of furniture and we need some new furniture. I''m glad for the heads up -- I won''t buy it there when we get it.

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
OMG, pottery barn customer service stinks! I had the opposite type of issue.

I have a chair I bought 2 years ago and really like from them. So I ordered the couch and love seat to go with it. I then had cold feet because while the chair is nice, its not super quality and I decided it was overpriced for what it was. I decided to buy from an amish furnure company that I own other pieces from and the quality is amazing. The amish stuff cost less too.

So, 24 hours after ordering I called to cancel. They said OK, its cancelled.

2 days later, the website account shows its still processing. So I call again. They say, it was cancelled and it will show so in a few days.

OK, a week later, it still shows processing and they charged my credit card over $2K. Grrrrrr. I call a thrid time, they tell me its cancelled and the website is behind. I tell them they need to refund my credit card ASAP. 4 days later, I see online that my AE card has been refunded, but the website still shows processing. Grrrr. I call pottery barn again- 4th time and they say it was cancelled.

Fast foward two weeks later- I get a phone call from the delivery service because the furnature is completed and at the local delivery place and when can they set up delivery. Uh, I cancelled. The delivery person got angry with me and told me that it was not cancelled and showed as an active order and he needed to deliver it ASAP. I told him I refused delivery and call pottery barn.

5th phone call to pottery barn for me. Last call was a week ago as far as I know furnature was returned. My credit card has been refunded so what they do is their problem.

I will never order from them again, ever. Their customer service stinks.

I'm looking forward to my custom made amish furnature. The Amish stuff takes 10-14 weeks but the quality is amazing. My bedroom set is hand made cherry. I love it.

E B

Ideal_Rock
Oh man! Looks like I''m not the only one who''s had issues with them!

I felt like a bit of a brat posting at first (because sleeping on the floor isn''t that big a deal in the grand scheme of things), but I''m having to share this saggy queen with not only my 6''7'''' fiance whose poor feet hang off the edge, I''m sharing it with a bed-hogging dog too! I haven''t had the best sleep in, well, a while, and I''m just so eager for this darn bed to arrive. I''m not getting my hopes up, though; I half expect to get a call (if they even call me) saying this new bed is damaged, or for Saturday to come and go with no call or delivery. I wouldn''t be surprised, and if that happens, I''m gonna have a few words.
38.gif

assherisme- It seems as though they just don''t have their act together. Re: my registry, the stores are on some different system than through the website, and I''ve had to call them several times to have my registry updated CORRECTLY so people don''t double-buy. It''s a good thing I''m not working at the moment and have time for this. What about people who don''t?

Blarg.

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
They have gone downhill in the past few years.

I registered with pottery barn, but that was in 1995. We had zero problems with the registry. Much of what we bought is long gone becuase the kitchen stuff was not high quality. I do still have a set of 3 ceremic mixing bowls I got from my registry I use and enjoy.

I do have a few lamps in my home from them as well. Up until this latest expereince I liked them. But this has just frustrated me.

But 12 years ago, our experience with them was so different. I wonder if the company has been sold or is under different management. I am done with them after this.

On my 3rd phone call, when I vented how frustrating it was to have to call multple times to cancel, the woman laughed and said their system is so 1980's. Not real confidence boosting.

I hope you bed is fine. The chair I have is actually quite nice and we never had a problem with it. When I got the pottery barn stuff I had narrowed it down to them and the amish stuff and then after I ordered I had cold feet. I am glad I switched to the amsih stuff.

If you have problems with the pottery barn, I can't say enough about the qualtiy of the amish furnature. Its beautiful too.

But I understand your issues with a tall fiance . My brother is 6'6 and he has issues associated with his height from what car to drive to airplane rides in coach being torture to finding a bed that fits. But even with that, he loves being tall. Good thing because I think my boys got his height. They are young but they are a good head taller than other kids their age.

Good luck with your bed. I hope it works out for you.

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
EBree, so sorry to hear of your troubles. We just got done waiting 4 months for our sofas to arrive (was supposed to take 10 wks) so I know what you mean! We were sitting on an exercise ball and an ottoman :)

Asscherisme, may I ask where you order your Amish furniture from? Sounds like the exact kind of thing I would like!

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
I'm not comfortable saying where I live but I will say I live in the US and I order it from a retail store that has connections with the Ohio Amish so its made in Ohio. I have seen tons of websites but I like to see and feel furnature in person before ordering. They use several amish furnature makes in Ohio. I can't imagine going wrong with any type of amish furnature if you can see a sample first.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Maaaaaaaaaan, I HATE it when crap like this happens. I am so sorry! Well, there''s little more that you can do... but I would definitely suggest that some sort of (significant!) PRICE ADJUSTMENT be made for all of your trouble and inconvenience. And let''s hope once you get the bed that you guys do just LOVELOVELOVE it.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So sorry this is happening to you. I just hate waiting. Especially when all of this could have been resolved so much sooner.

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you actually want nice wood furnature. Custom built is about the only way. I''m shopping custom builders right now for a full living room set becasue I really need specially constructed sofas and recliners to stop dust mite infestations (having tossed out two sets of normal commercial furnature).

I have found a number of people who can build from scratch and promise delivery in the 6 to 8 week range for a sofa, two recliners, and accessory tables... All out of my choice of fine wood in the arts and craft styles.

Not exactly cheap, but then no more expensive than high end commercial leather furnature either. Really solid built as well (on the line of Amish construction).

I have located two builders within a couple hours of here. It appears that if you want a bedroom set that there are hundreds of custom builders all over the US. Why even deal with pottery barn.

These people are all probably a bit more expensive than the Amish - but also deliver in about 1/2 the time.

Perry

firebirdgold

Ideal_Rock
Hmmm, the PB thing is really good to know, Thanks for the Heads Up!!
35.gif

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I second, or third, or fourth, or whatever, the Amish built furniture thing! My grandmother had her whole house built by Amish, including the interior things like kitchen cabinets, etc. They did a fabulous job and she has a masterpiece of a home. Her furniture she brought into the house was all purchased in the 60's and 70's from who knows where but it is all solid wood. She bought my bedroom suite when I was a little girl and it matches hers, only my bed is a queen as opposed to her king, and she has a double mirrored dresser whereas I have a single. That solid wood furniture she gave me may be vintage and outdated at this point in time, but it's something I will pass on to future generations (hopefully we'll have a little girl someday!), and I've always loved it. It's all walnut wood with a gorgeous stain, and to me it's just girly and pretty.

For "disposable" stylish furniture, especially for a bedroom suite, if you don't want to invest too much money and have something that will last 5-10 years, I suggest Pier One. DH and I moved into a house that was built in 1948 a few years ago and didnt realize my queen size box springs would not fit up the itty bitty staircase leading to the bedrooms. We slept on our mattress on the floor for one or two nights and then promptly went shopping for a King sized bedroom suite because the KS box springs are two twin or full sizes or whatever. It worked out well, I was able to find a design we both liked at Pier one and they delivered with no charge the next day. We actually ended up buying the storage bench, lingerie chest, dresser, and night stands that went with the headboard and frame...for around $1500 total. It is not solid wood, but it's a whatever kind of wood blend that is painted antique white and it's all held up really well since we got it over 3 years ago. We just didn't have the moolah at the time to invest in Amish made furniture, or we would have. Plus we will be in this house maybe 1-2 more years, tops, so we are thinking more towards a future home as far as really good furniture...

I did just buy PB linens not too long ago, and i love them...I got a pickstitch linen/cotton blend KS quilt and 3 euroshams to match, as well as a ticking stripe duvet cover. I love all of it and it washes beautifully. Can't go wrong with their bedding or accessories.

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
I love my amish stuff. I can''t say enough about the quality. Even the frame of the sofa is built with solid maple. Not pine or fiberboard like cheaper stuff.

Even the details on the amish stuff are great. For example, when you lift the sofa cushion, even below it is finished in fabric.

Yup, like Perry said, its lifetime quality. Its pricey but if you are willing to pay pottery barn prices, you should not be too put off by the price.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results