shape
carat
color
clarity

Potential Project...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

audball

Ideal_Rock

Hello! This is my first venture into colored stones! I have a full-set of emerald jewelry given to me by my FF over the last several years. All natural in different shades of green. My earrings and pendant have taken the least abuse whereas my bracelet (don't wear anymore except on special occasions...) and my ring (I never take it off...) take a lot. My ring is 9.5 mm high from the top of my finger to the table of the stone! High, I know. He picked everything out himself and I get many compliments on everything. Recently we've noticed two chips in the stone of my ring (in a 4 prong setting, oval shape, roughly 7mm x 9mm). A chip on each of the N side and S side of the stone. My ring's stone is fairly dark and I can't really tell how bad the chips are. I plan on taking it in to have it looked at as soon as the semester ends.

So first question, any recommendations in the Tampa Bay, FL area for having my ring looked at? I've heard great things about some appraiser in Sarasota, but I don't know if he has the ability to unset the stone, polish it up, etc. to determine the integrity of the stone with the chips? The ring was given to me on our 1 year anniversary in 2006, we just celebrated 4 years last weekend. S isn't really a sentimental person, so I don't think we're going to have any trouble with a reset if the stone still has integrity enough to wear as a ring. But, even still, I'm contemplating resetting it into an alternate pendant since they take much less abuse than my hands do. I know I'll get scolded for this, but I LIVE in my jewelry and it never comes off. Not at the gym, not for dishes, chores, etc. The only time it ever comes off is at the beach.

What I'd like to do, I think, is have the stone unset over the winter break and cleaned up as much as possible with polishing to re-define the facets and buff away scratches. Keep in safe until I can reset it into a pendant since the stone is sentimental *to me*. The setting is yellow gold. I'm thinking about purchasing a new stone and having it set into a bezel setting since I'm so rough on my ring. I'd like to reuse the yellow gold from my first ring for part or all of the new setting, so that it's still with me in a way.

Down to business, this is the stone I'm looking at. It was described as a very durable stone that would work in a ring needing to take abuse. I know this stone is not green, I would love to stay with green as it's my favorite color and would match the rest of my jewelry, however, all the green stones I've read about are less hard than emeralds and I don't know that any of them (short of finding the perfect shade of green sapphire which would likely be out of budget) would work for me. If anyone has suggestions though, please let me know! I'm hoping to spend less than $2k total on the project and the setting I have in mind will cost ~1200 (JM 1345 in unplated white gold with YG wraps and bezel from my original ring...I hope).

Preferred specs of future stone, round in shape, minimum of 7mm to a maximum of 7.5mm, under $1k, pref under $750. I like green, but I think I've decided to go with a lemony shade of yellow for durability (either sapphire or chyrsoberyl). Any recommedations?

Without further ado, here is the stone. If you know where it's from, please don't disclose, I have not reserved the stone as I'm still in the looking phase and would prefer lurkers not know it's whereabouts.

Specs:
2.16 yellow chrysoberyl
7.4mm
VVS
Origin is Brazil
Price is $530

Thanks for any help in advance!!

ETA: WOW! Sorry that was so long...thanks to anyone who is still with me!

Pic 1

yc216faceup.jpg

audball

Ideal_Rock
Pic 2

yc216angle.jpg

audball

Ideal_Rock
Pic 3

yc216profile.jpg

audball

Ideal_Rock
The stone is described as a lovely lemon to sunshine yellow on the website. Is is just me or do the pics show some green undertones?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I cannot speak more highly of Richard Sherwood and the service he provides; it is best for you to contact him directly. With regards to your emeralds, they are NOT everyday 24/7 stones, therefore, expect major damage if you wish to do so. Depending on the level of treatment your emeralds underwent, it is best that the appraiser reviews it first before you do anything to it. Because they are most likely to be fracture filled, polishing it may cause further damage.

I think most PSers recognize the cutting style and photography of the stone. Please reserve it ASAP while it is under consideration. Correct, the stone appears to show a green undertone with some gray mixed in (at least on my monitor). However, because it is a chrysoberyl, the sparkle and brilliance of the stone might mask some of the grayness in person.

audball

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/12/2009 9:45:40 AM
Author: Chrono

I cannot speak more highly of Richard Sherwood and the service he provides; it is best for you to contact him directly. With regards to your emeralds, they are NOT everyday 24/7 stones, therefore, expect major damage if you wish to do so. Depending on the level of treatment your emeralds underwent, it is best that the appraiser reviews it first before you do anything to it. Because they are most likely to be fracture filled, polishing it may cause further damage.

I think most PSers recognize the cutting style and photography of the stone. Please reserve it ASAP while it is under consideration. Correct, the stone appears to show a green undertone with some gray mixed in (at least on my monitor). However, because it is a chrysoberyl, the sparkle and brilliance of the stone might mask some of the grayness in person.
Thanks for the quick reply Chrono. I will set up a time to see him over the winter break. I think it may be time to retire my emerald ring, the others are holding up beautifully.

I know most PSers are going to recognize the stone, I was more concerned about lurkers. Do you have any concerns about the stone in question?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pictures don’t always tell everything so please ask him for a description of the colour. I have no doubt about the quality of the cut.

audball

Ideal_Rock
Thanks! I'll contact him.

Do you think chrysoberyl would be a good gem to consider for my level of activity in my jewelry? I'd plan on going with a bezel this time around which should help to. I'd like to try and remember to take it off for showers and dishes too. Are chrysoberyls safe to use in an US? I know emeralds aren't.

Any other gem suggestions that would give me a lovely green or yellow color that would be durable for daily wear?

ma re

Ideal_Rock
That bit of grey might be evident because of the background, but we can only speculate. I like the color, and since it''s a nicely cut chrysoberyl I''d expect it to be very interesting and lively in person.

audball

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/12/2009 10:18:19 AM
Author: ma re
That bit of grey might be evident because of the background, but we can only speculate. I like the color, and since it''s a nicely cut chrysoberyl I''d expect it to be very interesting and lively in person.
Thanks for your input! Any other suggestions of something similar?

audball

Ideal_Rock
Do chyrsoberyls come in a true green color? Are they all hard and durable stones or is this one being described that way for a different reason? I''ve never really heard of chrysoberyls until recently.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A chrysoberyl is a pretty tough stone and will hold up quite well to everyday wear with what you have in mind. They are mostly green with a yellow secondary.

audball

Ideal_Rock
Do you know of any vendors who have green ones in now? Pref. round or oval?

ma re

Ideal_Rock
You don't have to worry about durability of chrysoberyls cause they're one of the best options in that department. There are stones that can have similar color and be very durable, some of which would be; diamond (go break a bank first), yellow sapphire (rare and expensive in such vibrant colors, but if you have the cash, they can be found) and yellow tourmaline (not too expensive, slightly more durable than emeralds but not as much as these others).

P. S. Chrysos are never really green, always a bit yellowish, but sometimes they can be light bluish-green in which case they're called vanadium chrysoberyl.

audball

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/12/2009 10:31:52 AM
You don''t have to worry about durability of chrysoberyls cause they''re one of the best options in that department. There are stones that can have similar color and be very durable, some of which would be; diamond (go break a bank first), yellow sapphire (rare and expensive in such vibrant colors, but if you have the cash, they can be found) and yellow tourmaline (not too expensive, slightly more durable than emeralds but not as much as these others).

P. S. Chrysos are never really green, always a bit yellowish, but sometimes they can be light bluish-green in which case they''re called vanadium chrysoberyl.
Ooh, good to know. I''ll do some digging and see what I can find. I found one really pretty green chrysoberyl just not, but it''s rectangular in shape and 3.5 carats, wrong shape and too large for what I''m looking to do.

audball

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/12/2009 10:39:18 AM
Author: audball

Date: 11/12/2009 10:31:52 AM
You don''t have to worry about durability of chrysoberyls cause they''re one of the best options in that department. There are stones that can have similar color and be very durable, some of which would be; diamond (go break a bank first), yellow sapphire (rare and expensive in such vibrant colors, but if you have the cash, they can be found) and yellow tourmaline (not too expensive, slightly more durable than emeralds but not as much as these others).

P. S. Chrysos are never really green, always a bit yellowish, but sometimes they can be light bluish-green in which case they''re called vanadium chrysoberyl.
Ooh, good to know. I''ll do some digging and see what I can find. I found one really pretty green chrysoberyl just not, but it''s rectangular in shape and 3.5 carats, wrong shape and too large for what I''m looking to do.
Here is a pic of the green one. Is this a fluke or is it possible to find some this green?

gc358colorchange.jpg

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
I have a very green chrysoberyl, tsavorite green. Unfortunately it''s only very green under fluorescent lighting. Under incandescent lighting and sunlight it''s olive green. I wear that ring to the office a lot since fluorescent lights abound there.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Probably possible, but that''s still yellowish-green, reminiscent of peridot. BTW, the more green it is, generally, the more expensive it is.

audball

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/12/2009 10:49:48 AM
Probably possible, but that''s still yellowish-green, reminiscent of peridot. BTW, the more green it is, generally, the more expensive it is.
I see. I''m just hoping that whatever I choose will more or less go with the rest of my emerald jewelry, not necessarily match, but not clash, kwim?

audball

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/12/2009 10:49:29 AM
Author: Kismet
I have a very green chrysoberyl, tsavorite green. Unfortunately it''s only very green under fluorescent lighting. Under incandescent lighting and sunlight it''s olive green. I wear that ring to the office a lot since fluorescent lights abound there.
Do you mind sharing the vendor you purchased it at?

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/12/2009 12:28:23 PM

I purchased it from Simply Sapphires.

audball

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/12/2009 12:38:28 PM
Date: 11/12/2009 12:28:23 PM

I have a very green chrysoberyl, tsavorite green. Unfortunately it's only very green under fluorescent lighting. Under incandescent lighting and sunlight it's olive green. I wear that ring to the office a lot since fluorescent lights abound there.

I purchased it from Simply Sapphires.
Thanks! I'll go check them out now...

audball

Ideal_Rock
Anyone else have suggestions? How do you think this color of chrysoberyl would look in an unplated white gold ring with a yellow gold bezel?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’d wait until you receive the stone and place it next to the metal before deciding. Sometimes what sound great on paper doesn’t look as good in person due to various reasons.

tsavvy

Shiny_Rock
Have you thought about chrome tourmaline? It is not as hard as chrysoberyl, but is more readily available in vibrant green shades that would likely complement your emeralds. Barry at acstones.com may have some in stock, Gene at precisionsgems.com has a few on his website, and Rick Martin at artcutgems.com also has some.

audball

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/12/2009 6:23:06 PM
Author: tsavvy
Have you thought about chrome tourmaline? It is not as hard as chrysoberyl, but is more readily available in vibrant green shades that would likely complement your emeralds. Barry at acstones.com may have some in stock, Gene at precisionsgems.com has a few on his website, and Rick Martin at artcutgems.com also has some.
I have, I''m just worried about durability since I''m soooooooo rough on my jewelry. I''ve just read that they''re even less durable than emeralds and seeing the shape of my ring after three straight years of wear, I think some softer would be worse.

AustenNut

Brilliant_Rock
I''d second the idea of vanadium chrysoberyl. I think the mint green might go better with your emerald because of the bluish undertones. I know that AJS carries them, though I don''t know who else does. Here is a roval that''s smaller than what you want, but gives you an idea of the color that it can come in.

audball

Ideal_Rock
An update:
I have this stone on hold for now and got a further description from the vendor on the color. He described it as having no mustard color at all. It is a pretty pure, medium yellow and that there are VERY slight green undertones in some lighting conditions, but in most conditions, it is pure yellow. I like the description. I have sent photos and a description of the setting and colors of gold I''m interested in setting it in for a further opinion by the vendor since he can see the color in person before I go through with the purchase.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The description sounds promising. I hope we’ll get to see your pictures soon.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
If you don't end up staying with this stone, ajsgems.com has a nice looking selection of vanadium chrysoberyl right now. I like this one a lot from the photo:

ETA: There are a few oval/cushion shapes too if you don't like the rectangular shape.

vanadium-chrysoberyl-gemstone-chv-00004-l.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results