shape
carat
color
clarity

Potential Mixups

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

shosmoke

Rough_Rock
I recently purchased an engagement ring that is a .47 ct, D-color, and IF and as i was leaving the store and the saleswoman was putting the loose stone back in its pouch she dropped it. What if there were other loose stones laying around where she dropped it. Is it possible she picked the wrong one up and the wrong one will be set. I know the 4 c''s but im no professional about this stuff. If this did happen will the setter notice if its not the right stone. Do they re-examine the stone before setting it? thanks

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would definitely double check and make sure not only is it the same stone, but also that''s it''s still and IF. If the drop caused any damage..i.e. a chip, there goes the clarity grade..

shosmoke

Rough_Rock
with diamonds being so hard can they really be chipped from a drop. It was dropped a foot maybe onto a countertop, and how can i check to make sure it is the same one

firebirdgold

Ideal_Rock
Hardness is not the same as toughness. Hardness means pretty much the only thing that can scratch Diamond is Diamond itself. But they are not the toughest gem out there, they can chip.

shosmoke

Rough_Rock
How will i be able to tell if it is chipped, and do the setters re-examine the stone before setting it?

stermag

Shiny_Rock
Shosmoke,

You said "what if there were other loose stones lying around" - but you were there, were there any other loose stones on the counter? I highly doubt that anything fishy is going on, or that the stone sustained any damage, but the best way to eliminate any cause for concern would probably to have the stone independently appraised to verify that a) it is indeed the stone you purchased and b) that it is undamaged.

Is it in the process of being set? If so, I suppose you could have it appraised once you receive the finished product... although, as I''m thinking about this, there are probably reasons why it would be preferable to do so while it''s loose. Can you get your hands on the diamond still?

shosmoke

Rough_Rock
I was there and I didn''t see any ohter loose stones, but i could have missed something. Will any other jewelry store appraise it or only special places? Also, has anyone ever heard of jewelers accidentally mixing diamonds up? I trust the people at the place i bought it, im more concerned about an accidental mixup, which is why i want to know if the setter checks it over before setting. It is already being set, and i pick it up on Monday.

Modified Brilliant

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 4/7/2006 4:46:24 PM
Author: shosmoke
I was there and I didn''t see any ohter loose stones, but i could have missed something. Will any other jewelry store appraise it or only special places? Also, has anyone ever heard of jewelers accidentally mixing diamonds up? I trust the people at the place i bought it, im more concerned about an accidental mixup, which is why i want to know if the setter checks it over before setting. It is already being set, and i pick it up on Monday.
Shosmoke,
Just remember to have the jeweler check the finished ring in your prescence and show you under magnification. At that point you should ask any questions or voice any concerns. Accidental mix ups can occur, but it sounds unlikely in your case. Get everything resolved before you leave the store. I would recomend an independent appraiser in your area not affiliated with any store to double check the diamond and the workmanship. You should feel 100% satisfied with your purchase so do whatever it takes to put your mind at ease. Good luck.

www.metrojewelryappraisers.com

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Absolutely - it should be viewed again under magnification to make sure no damage was done to it. Secondly, is the girdle inscribed? That would be an easy way to ID your stone...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results