shape
carat
color
clarity

Potential Job Opportunity - Need Lots of Dust!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

krispi

Shiny_Rock
So, where to start - I currently have a pretty good job (I manage the pricing department in the corporate office of a local homebuilder) but it''s totally not me. Everyone knows the state of the homebuilding industry lately, and we''re no exception. My department has been reduced from 5 people to 2 people over the last couple of years. Along with the positions that were eliminated, I had to stop doing the things that I most enjoyed about my job and pick up more of the administrative functions that others had been doing. Now, I basically sit at a desk and crunch numbers, which I hate! (I have an English degree - not a math person at all.) With the downsizing, I also lost one of my best work friends, so there''s not really anyone here that I connect with either. On top of all that, my boss can be difficult at times, to put it nicely. So, all in all, not a lot to keep me hanging around or make me excited about my job.

I was venting to a friend from church, and he thought he might be able to help me out with my current situation. I told him the kinds of things I''d ideally like to be doing (corporate training or marketing) and sent him my resume. Well, I talked to him yesterday and he has a potential opportunity for me! One of his really close friends is a principal with an investment firm. They need someone to take over the communications with all of their existing clients so the people currently handling those responsibilities can focus on signing on new clients. Communications manager was one of the positions I listed that I''m really interested in, so that was perfect, plus the compensation sounds really good too. They''re willing to let this new person have some free reign in defining the position, and if all goes well there''s a lot of potential for increases and bonuses down the road. So my friend showed his friend my resume, and apparently they are interested!
36.gif
I''m supposed to give his friend a call this afternoon to see where we go from here.

I''m SOOOOOO incredibly nervous!
32.gif
I''ve been with my current company for 10 years and have only gone on one interview that entire time! I sent out tons of applications, followed up on positions, etc, but it''s always led to a dead end. Now that something has the potential to work out, I almost don''t know what to do with myself. My friend didn''t think a formal interview or application would be necessary - he suggested we just meet for lunch to talk about the position and my background. On one hand, it''s comforting not to have to go through the interview process, but on the other hand that''s new territory for me so I''m not sure how it should go exactly. I know that the deal isn''t sealed yet, so I''m trying really hard not to get my hopes up too much at this point. It''s just that this sounds too good to be true - working for a really nice person, doing what I really want to do, and making good money all at the same time. (It really shows that I''ve been with my current company way too long to believe this is actually possible!)

So anyway, if you''ve made it through all of that, please keep your fingers crossed and send dust that the phone call this afternoon will go well. And if you''ve ever been in a similar situation, what was your experience like?

Steel

Ideal_Rock
I am certainly not in a position to give you advice but I wish you every success!

Sending positive thoughts and well wishes.

(crosses fingers for Krispi)

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
sparkle.gif

krispi First of all GL and sending a ton of dust your way :).

The last job I had (I recently quit it because I grew to not like it) I essentially heard about and got because of a close friend I worked with so while I did have an interview for the position it was not very formal and essentially had the job in the bag but did not know that at the time, my last job before that I did for 8 years. The job I did for eight years I hated but I had awesome friends and it was a part time job while at school but I understand where your coming from with the self-doubt, change is a little hard but it is exciting :) and the possibilities are endless :) just believe in yourself :).

Thing is about interviews if you get that far employers want you to be the right person for the job so really you just need to sell yourself and find out if they are the right company for you. I would still treat this as a formal interview have resumes, dress nicely the usual.

Wish you the best of luck :), my experience is if you go in there like your it they think you are as well :).

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
I will say positive self talk works, focus on the positive; I know it is scary but you can do it!!! Spread those wings.
2.gif
3.gif
Sending you lots of PS dust and wishing you the best; you will rock!!!!!!
35.gif

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
The best advice my mom ever gave me (and continues to give me before every scary presentation/interview I have) - "its a gift, not a test."

Its a little obscure, but basically what it means in regards to any stressful situation where you are being evaluated is that it helps to look at it as an opportunity, rather than a test. The more you can psych yourself up to believe "why wouldn''t they want me," the more confidence you will project and the better it will go. If you honestly believe you are a good fit for the job, you can often get others to believe it too (almost always, in fact).

Women sometimes have a hard time with this because we think of ourselves so modestly (its not considered feminine to be super-confident in a lot of settings). But this is one instance where it really helps to let out your inner confidence and rock it - people will be really impressed by that.

It sounds like you are an excellent fit for this job, and would be really good at it, so remember, all you are doing is helping the interviewer to understand why that is true
9.gif

krispi

Shiny_Rock
Skippy and Steel - Thanks for the support! I appreciate it.

Deelight and Amber - My friend told me basically the same thing - that you just have to go in there and prove to them why you''re the best person for the job. It makes sense, and I just need to keep telling myself that. I like the idea of thinking of it as an opportunity rather than a test.

One of the ramifications of working in a job that doesn''t play up my strengths is that my self-confidence has suffered a bit. That''s one reason I want to find something new that I know I will excel at. Before I took this job, I did have more self-confidence, and I think another situation would be healthier for me.

So, I called the potential employer and of course he didn''t answer right away. I left a message and am waiting on him to call back. I''m trying not to think about it too much and get anxious (or constantly critique the voice mail I left him - I hate leaving messages!) Gosh - with all the butterflies in my stomach and the waiting on a phone call, it almost feels like I''m dating again! I''m nervous, but at least it''s a good kind of nervous.
37.gif

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
You''ll do fine - I''m sorry your confidence has suffered, but think of all the reasons why you would love this job, and all the skills and strengths you already have that you could bring to the table, and that should help boost it back up a bit, as it sounds like there are many
1.gif
Good luck with the phone calls - fingers crossed you hear back soon and don''t have to wait too long
10.gif

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lots of dust headed your way! Keep us posted!

krispi

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the positive vibes, SDL, Amber, and thing2. I''ll take all I can get! :)

I have to admit, I''m at a bit of a loss about what to do next.
33.gif
I called the guy Thursday afternoon and left him a voicemail with my cell phone number. I identified myself as a contact referred by my friend at church and mentioned that my friend had suggested we meet to discuss the potential opportunity. I still haven''t heard back. I know that he''s probably very busy, and he probably wasn''t checking his work messages over the weekend, but I can''t help but feel discouraged. Also, since I was on my cell when he called, I''m worrying if maybe the message wasn''t clear, or he couldn''t hear the number well or whatever. How long should I wait before I call again? Or should I call again at all - would that be consdered bugging him?

Thanks again for all the encouraging words - I do appreciate it!

scarleta

Brilliant_Rock
Krispi:Wishing you lots of luck on getting this job.Keep cool , this person may be busy right now.Can you ask your friend to inquire about it?
You don''t want to come across as desperately needing this job or being too persistent.Having said that you do want to get an answer soon.
A more diplomatic approach would be more appropriate.I would wait couple of days or so and if you don''t hear anything you may want to call and ask if there is anything else they need to complete your application.You want to come across very confident so asking if they need anything to complete your application may be more appropriate.
You are naturally are anxious to hear from them , but you have to be careful how you handle it not to come across as desperate.
I have not had a job interview for a long time myself and don''t know if I were to take one now I could keep my record of never loosing a job at any interview I ever had.
You just have to keep confident and a little patient right now.
I will keep my fingers crossed for you.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results