carat
color
clarity

Potential buyers' indecisiveness

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,
Recently I read a post where the poster said their budget was $4000, and they were looking for < I think around a .60-70 ctw diamond. The wonderful people on here found a beautiful diamond of .99ctw for $4.000. I went and looked at it, and thought, boy that person lucked out by someone on here finding such a good stone. In fact, I thought I should buy that as I don't have a beautiful diamond over 1ctw diamond. It was just an impulsive thought, but I went back a few days later to see if the guy had purchased it. He did not. I was mad. What happens here?. So perfect, but he didn't buy it. Any comments?

Annette

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
this happens all the time. There are lots of reasons why people dont end up pulling the trigger on a purchase. Maybe they have a theoretical budget but when it comes time to actually spend it they re-think. Maybe they get indecisive about the color/clarity/size and think about saving more to "improve" the specs. Or maybe they want to check out IRL stones first.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know that I personally have become a bit inured to the amount of business that we regulars are comfortable transacting through online media with people and organizations we’ve never met/seen/been to before. The idea of buying or selling or shipping or mounting or insuring stones worth thousands, tens of thousands, hundreds of thousands of dollars… Doesn’t phase me at all. Not just the money involved, I mean, but also all the administrative #stuff that’s needed to fulfill that transaction... I have to consciously remind myself that it’s a lot harder and scarier at first than it seems to me now.

Last edited:

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Some future buyers come on to kick the tires to see what they'll be able to afford. After we point them to some well-cut
stones and educate them, they comment that they hope the stones will be there in 3 months when they're actually ready to
purchase:eek-2:. Of course, if they are round, the chances are slim that a well cut, well priced stone will still be here when they come
back. I don't mind (too much) though because we are giving them information that they can take with them when they are ready.

I would like to know upfront if they're just kicking tires though. For kicking tires, I'll hit one website to find example stones for
them. If you're actually going to buy, I'll hit every PS website until I find options that work.

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
Could be that the person had something happen in their life that made them no longer have the money or the headspace to purchase a diamond. I've had that happen to me. Everything from family emergencies to clients not paying for work my husband or I have done.

For example, our household had to postpone Xmas this past year because we had a client not pay us. We are actually STILL waiting for payment from this MAJOR national laboratory in the desert southwest whose payroll department have all appeared to have either "quiet quit" or are just lazy as sh*t. :angryfire:.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
People are looking for advice and suggestions, not commands.

Without a link to the specific thread you are referencing, just because you thought the .99ct diamond was perfect doesn't mean the potential buyer did (i.e., people vary).

So many things about a potential diamond purchase can radically change whether a buyer goes forward or not: budget, timing, relationship problems, family emergencies, B&M preference, intended wearer changing mind about stone/shape/color/size, etc.

Even if the poster of the thread you're talking about doesn't go forward with any purchase at all, other people will read and gain value from the thread's content -- and for sure someone will end up buying that diamond.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Some people are naturally indecisive and I can appreciate we are all different.

What I don't have time for, is repeated requests for help over and over again, due to the enquirers missing the boat for being indecisive time and time again.

It is waste of time and effort to those who help them.

This applies to all jewellery and not just earth-mined diamonds.

DK :))

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know that I personally have become a bit inured to the amount of business that we regulars are comfortable transacting through online media with people and organizations we’ve never met/seen/been to before. The idea of buying or selling or shipping or mounting or insuring stones worth thousands, tens of thousands, hundreds of thousands of dollars… Doesn’t phase me at all. Not just the money involved, I mean, but also all the administrative #stuff that’s needed to fulfill that transaction... I have to consciously remind myself that it’s a lot harder and scarier at first than it seems to me now.

Once you've bought something from someone in a foreign country on instagram, buying through Blue Nile or wherever seems super safe and not at all nervewracking!

Wink

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Could be that the person had something happen in their life that made them no longer have the money or the headspace to purchase a diamond. I've had that happen to me. Everything from family emergencies to clients not paying for work my husband or I have done.

For example, our household had to postpone Xmas this past year because we had a client not pay us. We are actually STILL waiting for payment from this MAJOR national laboratory in the desert southwest whose payroll department have all appeared to have either "quiet quit" or are just lazy as sh*t. :angryfire:.

I can think of little that makes me as angry as not getting paid for work performed. My fingers are crossed that this ugly happening is rectified quickly.

HGar

Shiny_Rock
If they are anything like me it could be analysis paralysis - I research, research, research then go to pull the pin but then I start second guessing myself.

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
I can think of little that makes me as angry as not getting paid for work performed. My fingers are crossed that this ugly happening is rectified quickly.

Thanks Wink.

We FINALLY got paid this week for work done last year. Months and months late! Sheesh. So much for Christmas AND Valentine's Day!

The disfunction at government run facilities never ceases to amaze me. Let's just hope the *items* developed at places like this can be deployed a heck of a lot faster if need be than it takes for them to pay their consultants.

3294528.png

Wink

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Thanks Wink.

We FINALLY got paid this week for work done last year. Months and months late! Sheesh. So much for Christmas AND Valentine's Day!

The disfunction at government run facilities never ceases to amaze me. Let's just hope the *items* developed at places like this can be deployed a heck of a lot faster if need be than it takes for them to pay their consultants.

3294528.png

The fact that the atom is displayed leads me to believe we are better off, as a species, if the *items* are never deployed!

I am however, very happy for you that your work was finally paid for. Congratulations!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Worse than indecisiveness in jewellery buying - indecisive when ordering food!

It drives me nuts especially when I am in a queue and the person/people in front of me has plenty of time to study the menu, yet they dither what to have by the time they are being served!

Or I am dining out with people whom I do not know well who take forever to decide what to have.

I don't like to wait for food! :x2

DK :lol-2:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results